PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park Hawks -- Region I -- DII

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-06-2004, 02:47 AM
It is always interesting to see a team come from nowhere and shock us all. Who will it be this year? I'll be watching Iowa Park this year. They are my darkhorse.

This comes from one of my posts on 7-21-04.

The reason I bring this up is because Iowa Park is a team that can win this thing this year. They have come out of nowhere as they had absolutly no respect in the polls at the beginning of the year. They go 9-1 win the dsitrict title in Graham where the Steers haven't lost a district game in 5 years. The IP team can pass and run. The defense is solid and the coaching staff has their kids ready to play every week. The one loss came at Vernon, a rivalry game at that, and with a key play here or there IP would be 10-0.

I knew that Swenson was a special player before this year started. What I didn't know was how good the line would do. How the defense would step into the shoes of Brian Love. How the team would gel togther. This is a team to watch.

Now that the Lions are out I'm offically rooting for the Hawks to win state.

VWG
11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Iowa Park can score. Their coaches do an excellent job of mixing things up. Spread offense, wing T, etc.....
I do think that come playoff time their defense will be their weak link. Mainly due to size. They are a good swarming defense, but they have to due to their lack of size.
They've got one corner who doesn't appear to be over 5'7" and the linebackers aren't very big.
When would Iowa Park and Sweetwater meet?

Now... that's about the only thing I see Iowa Park being the least bit deficient on. Their offensive gameplan is great. Swenson reminds me of Sweetwater's QB Carrillo a few years back.
Again... Iowa Park is a great team. They should go far in the playoffs this year.

fury900
11-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Iowa Park Graham
18 First Downs 14
40-218 Yards Rushing 34-166
193 Yards Passing 170
10-12-1 Comp/Att/Int 8-18-1
2-41.5 Punts-Average 2-34.5
2-1 Fumbles Lost 4-2
5-45 Yards Penalized 5-36
———
Iowa Park 0 3 14 14 — 31
Graham 0 3 7 7 — 17
———
IP — Wes Newman 23 filed goal
G — Isaac Ontiveroz 22 field goal
IP — Jacob Ervin 1 run (Newman kick
G — Pecos McCool 4 run (Ontiveroz kick)
IP — Justin Swenson 5 run (Newman kick)
IP — Drew Fulfer 14 run (Newman kick)
IP — Jeremy Williams 1 run (Newman kick)
G — Ontiveroz 1 run (Ontiveroz kick)

fury900
11-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Under district rules, the Hawks (9-1, 3-1) and Steers (6-4, 3-1) each clinch a piece of the district title despite Friday’s outcome. It is Iowa Park’s first title since 1987.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/ls_hs_football/article/0,1891,TRN_5790_3309751,00.html

GreenMonster
11-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Welcome to our band wagon Z Motion. I been saving you a seat.
:)

hawkfan65
11-09-2004, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fury900
[B]Under district rules, the Hawks (9-1, 3-1) and Steers (6-4, 3-1) each clinch a piece of the district title despite Friday’s outcome. It is Iowa Park’s first title since 1987.

Actually Iowa Park is the District Champs at the begining of the year the class 5-3a coaches decided to do the standings by points. The Hawks beat the Steers by more than 6 points so they are the district champs and graham is second. The Graham coach said at the begining yea we'll do it by points, because he had no idea that we weould beat him. Now he's trying to change it back and say that its by wins and losses he cant do that. He just whining to much and is devestated because his graham steers arent first. This is how the district standings are according to UIL regulations
IP-1st
G-2ND
B-3rd
V-4th
H-5th

mustang04
11-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Iowa Park can score. Their coaches do an excellent job of mixing things up. Spread offense, wing T, etc.....
I do think that come playoff time their defense will be their weak link. Mainly due to size. They are a good swarming defense, but they have to due to their lack of size.
They've got one corner who doesn't appear to be over 5'7" and the linebackers aren't very big.
When would Iowa Park and Sweetwater meet?

Now... that's about the only thing I see Iowa Park being the least bit deficient on. Their offensive gameplan is great. Swenson reminds me of Sweetwater's QB Carrillo a few years back.
Again... Iowa Park is a great team. They should go far in the playoffs this year.

Im not sure...would it be for the Regional finals??

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I think a Sweetwater/ IP match up in the regional final is a possibility. If it makes, I'll be there.

As fare as the Graham Coach saying they are district champs...I agree with HawkFan65. IP is the champ. They beat Graham and even though they have identical records, if the agreed upon rules are that it is by point then so be it. The Graham Head coach mentioned in teh Wichita Falls paper that the Steers although they lost to IP were still the district champs. I'm sure the IP jr's and Soph's will remember that statement next year in IP.

Also of interesting note, the Vernon Freshman and JV teams both did very well this year. The JV lost 6 of their best to varsity because of all the injuries and they still won the district. They have won district every year since jr high. So Vernon should have some talent next year to put more pressure on Graham.

I have heard that we have a Qb upcoming as well. Name is Williams I believe. I'll be watching for him.

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Yes, IP & Sweetwater would meet in the Regional Finals if they both make it that far.

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I think a Sweetwater/ IP match up in the regional final is a possibility. If it makes, I'll be there.

As fare as the Graham Coach saying they are district champs...I agree with HawkFan65. IP is the champ. They beat Graham and even though they have identical records, if the agreed upon rules are that it is by point then so be it. The Graham Head coach mentioned in teh Wichita Falls paper that the Steers although they lost to IP were still the district champs. I'm sure the IP jr's and Soph's will remember that statement next year in IP.

Also of interesting note, the Vernon Freshman and JV teams both did very well this year. The JV lost 6 of their best to varsity because of all the injuries and they still won the district. They have won district every year since jr high. So Vernon should have some talent next year to put more pressure on Graham.

I have heard that we have a Qb upcoming as well. Name is Williams I believe. I'll be watching for him.

IP is the district champ.

I'm sure Vernon will be solid again next year. They always reload. The big question will be Graham. They are losing tons of players to graduation. I know this is going to sound crazy, but IF IP can get solid QB play next year, they may be better than they are this year. That's a big IF because Swenson is a special player, but they have most of their skill position players and most of their linemen coming back.

mustang04
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

I'm sure Vernon will be solid again next year. They always reload. The big question will be Graham. They are losing tons of players to graduation. I know this is going to sound crazy, but IF IP can get solid QB play next year, they may be better than they are this year. That's a big IF because Swenson is a special player, but they have most of their skill position players and most of their linemen coming back.

this Swenson guy sounds like quite an athlete

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2004, 02:30 PM
He is somewhat like Thompson as he can throw it on a rope and run it just the same. He is very elusive and teh big linemen or a blizting LB have trouble catching him. He seems to just run around until someone is open and then he fires it in there. Or if the defense losses contain he takes off.

mustang04
11-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
He is somewhat like Thompson as he can throw it on a rope and run it just the same. He is very elusive and teh big linemen or a blizting LB have trouble catching him. He seems to just run around until someone is open and then he fires it in there. Or if the defense losses contain he takes off.

ic...earlier VWG said it reminded him of Michael Carrillo....haha Mike was an EXCEPTIONAL ATLHETE....i think it will be a while before West Texas sees another one like him again

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2004, 02:44 PM
He is kind of like Carillo. Both are not real tall, they both are very quick and make good decisions. Both can throw it and both can run it.

That is a compliment to Swenson to be compared to Carillo.

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
I never saw Carilllo play, but I've seen quite a bit of Swenson the last couple of years.

He's not real big, but he one tough little dude. I have seen him take some shots and I knew he wasn't going to get up. He is the heart and soul of that team. He has a good arm; I would not say he has a great arm, but he's more than capable of making the throws at the HS level.

He is a legit 4.5 guy. Quick & elusive. He definately looks to pass first and run second. As Z said, he is exceptional when the play breaks down and he can just run around and avoid people until a receiver finds daylight.

The thing that makes IP very difficult to gameplan is that they really run two totally different styles of offense equally well. They can get in a 2 TE wing-T type formation and mis-direct like crazy. They really carry out fakes well when they do this. Their backs are quick and really deceptive in that offense. Then they will run the spread and go one-back or empty backfield and throw the ball all over the place. They have about 5 HB/RB/FB/WB's that are all quick (not necessarily fast), run pretty hard, and have great hands.

As I've said earlier, I don't think anyone in the region can just line up and "out athlete" them. It's going to take a really diciplined well rounded team to beat them.

GreenMonster
11-09-2004, 08:01 PM
OR................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............A terrible group of zebras can beat even the best teams. I hope we don't see another fiasco like we saw in Vernon. The zebras were so bad that night that I even felt bad for the Lions. They just happened to be on the right side of a bad call at the right time that night. The ref's were torturing both teams.

VWG
11-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

Graham loses tons of players each year. That program turns out about 80 to 85 kids each year from soph. to senior during two a days. JV team only lost to Vernon and large 4A North Richland Hills Birdville, and freshman went 9-1.
JV team also beat Abilene High (5A) freshman "A" team.

Vernon and Iowa Park will always be the top dogs in this district along with Graham. Hirschi can't put it together and Breckenridge is competitive, and yes they did make the playoffs, but pure numbers are against them having only about 500 kids in high school. Look at the history. Football... it's Graham, Iowa Park... and usually Vernon. Basketball... it's usually Graham and Iowa Park. Vernon came on strong last year in hoops. Baseball... again Iowa Park and Graham have very, very good programs.

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
OR................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............A terrible group of zebras can beat even the best teams. I hope we don't see another fiasco like we saw in Vernon. The zebras were so bad that night that I even felt bad for the Lions. They just happened to be on the right side of a bad call at the right time that night. The ref's were torturing both teams.

Well, I didn't see the Vernon game, but I heard there were many that were not happy. I think there was someone on this board that is a Vernon fan, maybe Z, that said that was clearly a fumble. Oh well, those close ones between Vernon, IP & Graham usually come down to one key play.

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Graham loses tons of players each year. That program turns out about 80 to 85 kids each year from soph. to senior during two a days. JV team only lost to Vernon and large 4A North Richland Hills Birdville, and freshman went 9-1.
JV team also beat Abilene High (5A) freshman "A" team.

Vernon and Iowa Park will always be the top dogs in this district along with Graham. Hirschi can't put it together and Breckenridge is competitive, and yes they did make the playoffs, but pure numbers are against them having only about 500 kids in high school. Look at the history. Football... it's Graham, Iowa Park... and usually Vernon. Basketball... it's usually Graham and Iowa Park. Vernon came on strong last year in hoops. Baseball... again Iowa Park and Graham have very, very good programs.

No doubt, it's a tough district. I think that's why these teams have done well in the playoffs the last few years (with the exception of Wylie's dominance of Graham).