PDA

View Full Version : In a way Bridge City lucky to have WO-S in District

Old Cardinal
11-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Well tonight is a big mismatch in Bridge City. BC is in second place finishing the District play even if they get beat. The only consolation is that that will put them in Division II for the first time in 3A. Now that's an important first since the brackets get tough pretty quick in Division I, because larger schools just naturally have more depth at the end of the season when postseason begins.
Win of lose these Mustangs and Cardinals have high hopes facing Division I and Division II opponents in postseason. The weather is beautiful it will be a good setting for a last district game tonight for both teams. WO-S should win the Division I crown this year and who knows that enthusiam can do for these upstart Cardinals.

Jody
11-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Is WOS really that good this year? There is some pretty tough competition out there.

Hupernikomen
11-05-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't think WO-S is dominating but they certainly have a talented group and will be a tough team to beat. Not one of their best teams though but still very good.

spiveyrat
11-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Jody
Is WOS really that good this year? There is some pretty tough competition out there.

WOS is ALWAYS good!

Jody
11-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I don't think WO-S is dominating but they certainly have a talented group and will be a tough team to beat. Not one of their best teams though but still very good.

I went to the Texas High School Coaches Association web site and there is not one top 10 statistic, either from a team standpoint or an individual standpoint for WOS or Japser. I see Liberty Hill, Anahuac, Barbers Hill, Hardin Jefferson, Zapata, Navasota and others, but why not any teams/individuals from the Beaumont area except Hardin Jefferson?

Do they not report their stats? This looks to be a state wide listing.

http://pressbox.thsca.com/PressboxHome.asp?nav=Pressbox&menu=05

Hupernikomen
11-05-2004, 03:39 PM
they probably not submitting their stats. plus, I can't imagine what top 10 stat either team would have anyways. maybe, defense but the offenses are pretty balanced because they have so many weapons.

j_dog
11-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Jody
I went to the Texas High School Coaches Association web site and there is not one top 10 statistic, either from a team standpoint or an individual standpoint for WOS or Japser. I see Liberty Hill, Anahuac, Barbers Hill, Hardin Jefferson, Zapata, Navasota and others, but why not any teams/individuals from the Beaumont area except Hardin Jefferson?

Do they not report their stats? This looks to be a state wide listing.

http://pressbox.thsca.com/PressboxHome.asp?nav=Pressbox&menu=05
There is one very good reason why WOS and Jasper players are not in the top ten in stats. When you blow other teams out by half time, and start subsituting JV players, you don't build stats. You only build stats by being in close games that require you to keep the starters in, OR by just leaving the starters in and run up the score and the stats. WOS and Jasper are teams that generally pull the starters when the game is out of reach for the other team. Another reason is that these teams have a wide array of offensive weapons, so they spread the ball around.

setex
11-05-2004, 03:45 PM
WO-S is a very good team. Plenty of speed, solid Sr QB and the kicking game is very good.

They lost to Jasper and Bay City, no slouches. Beat a Nederland team, which may not be the best in 20 4A but very competetive and always in the play offs.

Now, the defense which is always the cornerstone for WO-S football can be run on. As for as passing defense, Nederland who has a good passing team, passed on them at will.

bccards
11-05-2004, 03:46 PM
nevermind..:cool:

Jody
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
There is one very good reason why WOS and Jasper players are not in the top ten in stats. When you blow other teams out by half time, and start subsituting JV players, you don't build stats. You only build stats by being in close games that require you to keep the starters in, OR by just leaving the starters in and run up the score and the stats. WOS and Jasper are teams that generally pull the starters when the game is out of reach for the other team. Another reason is that these teams have a wide array of offensive weapons, so they spread the ball around.

Well I can't speak for all these teams, but BH pulls their starters quite frequently. We are in the stats in almost every catagory. These are stats for teams and individuals. Look at Liberty Hill as an example. They have 3 or 4 running backs in the top 10 for yardage. Even if WOS or Jasper does not have individual stats, as indicated by Hyperlukemon, then why not team stats?

I am not saying they do not qualify, just wondering if they do not post their stats. I had a reliable source say WOS is just plain awsome....so I am dumfounded why they are not listed.

Unless he is on crack or something....LOL Had to get a little smack in there... :D

j_dog
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Well, another factor is strength of schedule. Do you have teams like WOS, Nederland, PNG, and Bay City on your schedule? It does make SOME difference WHO you are playing. Jasper's record speaks for itself over the past three years. Just look at the playoff scores. For Jasper (and WOS) that is what it is all about, advancing in the playoffs. :) Jasper has never played to build stats in my memory.

WOS92
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
When you're able to get the ball on the opponent's 40 half the time - by turnover or a return by one of the best returners in the state - your average drive is 40 yards. Multiply that five times. That's 200 yards and a 35-point score. Stats don't always tell the story.

shankbear
11-05-2004, 04:51 PM
j_dog, long time no see. It was opening week at WO. Yall wrap it up with Silsbee. BC gets the Stangs. I look for a fun game. WO-S is tough and has more guns. BC will play an inspired game.

Take care of business with Silsbee. BC has been on the short end against both of those two teams this year and it wasn't a pretty sight. I guess this is PINEY WOODS MADNESS!!!!

Have fun guys and don't get hurt....playoffs coming.

j_dog
11-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
j_dog, long time no see. It was opening week at WO. Yall wrap it up with Silsbee. BC gets the Stangs. I look for a fun game. WO-S is tough and has more guns. BC will play an inspired game.

Take care of business with Silsbee. BC has been on the short end against both of those two teams this year and it wasn't a pretty sight. I guess this is PINEY WOODS MADNESS!!!!

Have fun guys and don't get hurt....playoffs coming.
Hi shankbear! :) I have been around, you apparently have not been reading Jasper threads! :D Well, we didn't quite take care of business with Silsbee! Silsbee is TOUGH! :mad: :mad: Well, Silsbee and WOS can fight it out! :D Looks like BC played an exceptional game. Good luck against BH! :)

Gasilla
11-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Here's a few of our stats through 9 games:

Record- 7-2

Scoring:
Offense- 37 ppg
Defense- 13 ppg

QB- Ryan Crouch- 74-136-7 1160 yards and 12 TD's

RB- Earl Thomas- 747 yards and 7 TD's (missed one game due to injury)

WR/QB- Kenneth Beasley- 509 yards rushing, 750 yards receiving and 11 TD's

RB- Lakeith Ford- 570 yards rushing and 10 TD's