PDA

View Full Version : Man oh Man! (Radio Broadcasts)

PhiI C
11-23-2002, 07:54 AM
I have had to listen to radio broadcasts since I am recovering from surgery and fortunately I should be able to go to the next playoff game! It seems the quality of radio broadcasting has diminished since I last had to listen. It seems in the past they always were able to broadcast the games and get in the commercials ok. Don't get me wrong I am glad they broadcast the games and am greatful and support the sponsors but man. Like the Sinton - La Feria game. They had so many commercials between touchdowns that we actually missed a Sinton touchdown after they had to kick off too. Several plays were missed because of that. Also I was listening on another radio to the West Oso - Orange Grove game and even though they seemed to do better they had lots of commercials. Orange Grove scored with about 1:12 left in the game to make it West Oso 28 Orange Grove 20 so you knew that the extra point and onside kick was critical and the announcer said "and the kick is ___________. Commercial break! Can you believe it! and another commercial and another one and another one etc. and the same one was repeated twice! You knew you were missing plays and it was frustrating. and then when the commercials finally ended they went back to regular music programing with no announcement of the final score or anything. Fortunately I caught the last part of tv news and found out West Oso had held on to win. It just seems that radio land did a better job in the past.
Is it that way in the rest of the state? Just curious if maybe it is isolated to the Coastal Bend. Anyway sorry to vent my frustrations on everyone here. I am glad that I should be able to go to the next game and not depend on the radio.

Ranger Mom
11-23-2002, 09:00 AM
Phil,
I have a question for you. Do you think it may be because it is "just a 3-A game"? I VERY seldom listen to games on the radio, but last Saturday night I listened to the Midland High/Duncanville game on radio, and I felt like I was there. There were limited commercials and they were short. It was also a Midland radio station broadcasting from Abilene, which was also probably a big factor. I am curious to know what your thoughts are on that. It WOULD be frustrating to "break for a commercial" during a big play and not have a final announced at the end.

PhiI C
11-23-2002, 10:18 AM
It is a good question Ranger Mom and I really don't know the answer. I don't think it was because it was just a 3A game because I have heard broadcasts in the past and they did a good job with them.

Pudlugger
11-23-2002, 10:55 AM
PhiI C:
It is a good question Ranger Mom and I really don't know the answer. I don't think it was because it was just a 3A game because I have heard broadcasts in the past and they did a good job with them.That is terrible, I hope you wrote the station! I would definately give them some feedback. Congrats on the win though! Good luck next week. :)

pirate4state
11-25-2002, 10:59 AM
It has to do with $$$$. They need someone (businesses in the community) to sponser the air time to even get the game on the radio & so that is why there are all those annoying commercials!! The sales rep for the radio station was in our office looking for support to broadcast the game as late as Thursday!!! A necessary evil. Hope that answers your question.

big daddy russ
11-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Hey Phil, it's good to hear that you're back. At least you'll get to see the game in person this weekend. I'll be sure to look for you and I'll be sure to stop by and say hi.