PDA

View Full Version : Read what this coach had to say(funny)

Port_town_texas
11-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I know this isn't a 2A board but this was to funny to read....read what Coach Barbay says..LOL!

Newton seeks title challenge with EC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 11/04/04 - 12:18:33 am CST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B y Dave Rogers - The News staff writer

To say Newton coach Curtis Barbay is looking forward to Friday night's District 24-2A championship game against East Chambers would be putting it mildly.

"All these 2A schools we've been playing, we just ain't had no damn competition yet," the longtime Eagles coach complained Wednesday. "I know they (EC's undefeated Buccaneers) will be pretty good."

A 3A powerhouse under Barbay that was dropped a class by last winter's UIL realignment, it would be fair to say that Newton has dominated what it's seen of District 24-2A to this point.

The Eagles have outscored their first four district opponents 180-17, an average of 45-4.

"The teams we've played so far, we've run the clock the second half," Barbay said. "We don't try to score."

It hasn't yet gotten as bad as it was in a 77-0 win over Houston's Alphonso Crutch a couple of years ago, when Newton punt returners were ordered to catch the ball and immediately punt it back to their opponents.

"We've been kicking some field goals," the coach said. "Hell, the halves ain't lasting but 32 minutes. We only get the ball twice. We try not to score. But I tried to run a play where the kid wouldn't (score) and I'll be damned, that son of a gun broke for 90 yards.

"It'll be good to be in a game where there's a lot of excitement again. We haven't had a game like that since the Jasper game."

Newton is 7-2 overall after losing its opener 29-28 at Anahuac, then losing at Jasper, 25-6, two weeks later.

Running back Stiffon Ethridge, a 6-1, 205-pound senior, was injured in the Anahuac game, but that just gave Toddrick Pendland, a 5-8, 165-pound junior, a chance to get going. And Pendland's got it going.

"That sumbitch there is good," Barbay says, offering his ultimate compliment. "He's fast and quick and hard as hell to hit."

Now the Eagles have Ethridge, Pendland and 230-pound Jonathan Jackson together in the same backfield with quarterback Sammy Adams.

"He's doing a good job of throwing, but we don't throw a lot," the coach says. "Because when we do, we score. We haven't been passing late in the game."

Scoring points. Winning games. It's supposed to be fun.

"It hasn't been much fun, so far," Barbay says of the drop to 2A. "I know a lot of people that are losing, they'd think, 'Hell, you're crazy,' but it hasn't been any fun when you're winning by 40 points at halftime."

That should change for the Eagles, starting this week.

"I know there's going to be some good teams out there that will challenge you in the playoffs," Barbay said. "It's good to play this (East Chambers) game late like that, so we'll be ready for the playoffs."

East Chambers is 9-0 in its first season under coach Stan Howard and, like Newton, 4-0 in 24-2A. The Buccaneers have outscored their opponents 168-34, an average of 42-8.

"It's going to be a big game," Barbay predicts. "They've got a lot of pride in their program. I think they've done a heck of a job over there this year. We'll find out where we're at."

Both teams have playoff berths locked up. Most likely, Newton will be 24-2A's Division I representative, with East Chambers the league's top Division II team.

The folks in Winnie are not about to take this game lightly. A full house is expected for the game.

"We were hoping it would come down to this," said Howard, who was hired from Class A D'Hanis during the summer.

"We talked about it (challenging Newton) early in the preseason, the way the kids had bought into the program, worked hard and started jelling. We've talked about 'one heartbeat' all year long. The kids are excited, the community's excited. It kind of all fell into place."

Running back James Harbor has rushed for 928 yards and 12 TDs for EC, while quarterback Chris Joseph has run for 809 yards and 12 more TDs.

"Coach Barbay has done a great job up there for many years. We're fortunate to play them for the district title," Howard says. "We know Newton's going to come with their A game. We're going to try to bring our A game. I think it's going to be a great game."

pirate44
11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Port_town_texas
"That sumbitch there is good," Barbay says, offering his ultimate compliment.

hehe. "sumbitch" is a funny word:D

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 12:59 PM
LOL.....he uses colorful language throughout.....Imagine what this guy must be like in person....highly animated, I would guess and downright funny!:)

TigerShark
11-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I cannot believe that this was printed.

Jody
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
I say fire BH's Coach Price and hire this guy. We need a little fire under some butts. Not to mention someone who says what he thinks....LOL

:D

duckbutter
11-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by TigerShark
I cannot believe that this was printed. Yep, it's true...go to www.panews.com under the sports page.LOL

TigerShark
11-04-2004, 02:20 PM
I have already, I went as soon as I saw this post. I knew it had to be out of P.A. The Beaumont Enterprise dosn't have the gutts to print anything like this. I still am amazed that it got printed.

Bandera YaYa
11-04-2004, 02:25 PM
And you wonder where kids pick up bad langage from.........their coach!!!!!! :p

TigerShark
11-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
And you wonder where kids pick up bad langage from.........their coach!!!!!! :p

This is why the paper should have doctored it. Every kid that has played for the man since the mid 60's and in Newton since 68' has the upmost respect for him. He has been a coach, a father, mentor, and comedian to every kid that he has had contact with.
With the way society is these days kids aren't guarantied much anymore, but when you go to athletics in Newton you know that Coach Barbay will be real, honest, and if you work hard he will be fun. That is a lasting lesson that you don't learn in anyother class.

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TigerShark
This is why the paper should have doctored it. Every kid that has played for the man since the mid 60's and in Newton since 68' has the upmost respect for him. He has been a coach, a father, mentor, and comedian to every kid that he has had contact with.
With the way society is these days kids aren't guarantied much anymore, but when you go to athletics in Newton you know that Coach Barbay will be real, honest, and if you work hard he will be fun. That is a lasting lesson that you don't learn in anyother class.

I would love for my son to play for a coach that has all of these traits. I think, unfortunately, they are few and far between though.:)

Backwoods
11-04-2004, 05:18 PM
He's ours and you can't have him. :cool:

pirate44
11-04-2004, 05:42 PM
i dont know the guy, but he sounds like my old linebacker coach, Truman Westphal. They dont make coaches like that anymore.

j_dog
11-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Barbay is one of the best, and is a genuinely nice guy! :)

CHSBaseball07
11-04-2004, 06:55 PM
he sounds funny...lol

Da Mules
11-04-2004, 08:50 PM
He sounds like Larry the Cable Guy with a coaching job...git r done! :)

Backwoods
11-04-2004, 09:19 PM
He probably has as many wins at Newton as most cable guys have hook-ups (258).

AggieJohn
11-15-2004, 10:57 AM
i'm willing to guess he's a math teacher and not a english teacher....just a wild guess though