PDA

View Full Version : What is it w/ The Caller Times and Ray HS??

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
any given day, on the sports page, you see pics from Ray HS games...and usually Gregory-Portland....GP i can understand..they are #1 in 4A in the state...but whats the deal w/ Ray?? are they even ranked?? if you were to just go from reading the Corpus paper..youd think there were only 3 or 4 teams in the whole area.....their sports coverage kinda sucks!

Bullaholic
11-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I think this is a historical phenomena, 'Stang. I am cetainly not knowledgeable about S.Texas HS football, but I can remember when I was younger reading about the strong CC Ray teams in the 70's or so. Maybe they're just trying for a little wishful "deja vu".

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
thats what i'm thinking...i mean..Ray isnt bad...but they are certainly no 5A powerhouse.

99IHSMustang
11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
any given day, on the sports page, you see pics from Ray HS games...and usually Gregory-Portland....GP i can understand..they are #1 in 4A in the state...but whats the deal w/ Ray?? are they even ranked?? if you were to just go from reading the Corpus paper..youd think there were only 3 or 4 teams in the whole area.....their sports coverage kinda sucks!

Yeah I noticed that too IHS... they had I think only 2 or 3 pics from the Sinton -vs- Ingleside game... What is up with that?

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Maybe Javier Becera (their #1 sportswriter) went to school at Ray.

Just a thought! Someone could e-mail him and ask on their website (Caller.com). In the high school football sports section, he has his own little "Ask Javier" of course, I don't think he ever reads his e-mail.:D :D :D

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 11:55 AM
LOL...youre right APPF...but at the same time....the Progress/Index website always only has pics of AP...no IHS game pics.....bastages! :p

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I pay them well for that priviledge:kiss: :evillaugh :evillaugh

j/k I never look at the online version. They do get quite a few pics of my son in the paper though. It was too cool, the other day I was walking through Wal-Mart and looked up and saw several posters hanging over the coca-cola display in the middle isle. One was of my son and Paul Robles drinking cokes with the cheerleaders bowing at their feet. There were several others featuring players, cheerleaders etc...all advertising coca-cola.
Gotta figure out a way to bribe the store manager to get those displays once they are finished with them.

big daddy russ
11-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Actually, I don't think Javi is from Corpus. I forget where exactly he's from, but I keep wanting to say San Antonio.

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Actually, I don't think Javi is from Corpus. I forget where exactly he's from, but I keep wanting to say San Antonio.

You're probably right....I was just kinda being a smart a**. :evillaugh

You know, passing the time and completely useless information.....:D

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I pay them well for that priviledge:kiss: :evillaugh :evillaugh

j/k I never look at the online version. They do get quite a few pics of my son in the paper though. It was too cool, the other day I was walking through Wal-Mart and looked up and saw several posters hanging over the coca-cola display in the middle isle. One was of my son and Paul Robles drinking cokes with the cheerleaders bowing at their feet. There were several others featuring players, cheerleaders etc...all advertising coca-cola.
Gotta figure out a way to bribe the store manager to get those displays once they are finished with them. HA! thats pretty cool, LOL. so Michael IS going to Terlingua this year huh? have to try and catch them all when theyre out there.

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
HA! thats pretty cool, LOL. so Michael IS going to Terlingua this year huh? have to try and catch them all when theyre out there.

Mike was just asking me the same thing the other day. I haven't talked to Terry lately, but will try to find out soon. We try to go during the week between Christmas and New Years. Last year, we left Christmas night and Mike had a flat on the trailer carrying our 4 wheelers when we hit Sinton. Luckily, I was traveling with Sandra Holden in the motor home and got to snooze, eat, drink beer etc.....WHAT A WAY TO TRAVEL!:thumbsup:

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Mike was just asking me the same thing the other day. I haven't talked to Terry lately, but will try to find out soon. We try to go during the week between Christmas and New Years. Last year, we left Christmas night and Mike had a flat on the trailer carrying our 4 wheelers when we hit Sinton. Luckily, I was traveling with Sandra Holden in the motor home and got to snooze, eat, drink beer etc.....WHAT A WAY TO TRAVEL!:thumbsup: LOL...NIIIICE. i think that is the week we're lookin at going also...but its not set in stone yet.

AP Panther Fan
11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Sounds like a plan. Gotta talk your Uncle D into it. You guys usually stay at the Lodge don't you? Didn't ya'll get into a little trouble with the previous owners?:D

IHStangFan
11-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a plan. Gotta talk your Uncle D into it. You guys usually stay at the Lodge don't you? Didn't ya'll get into a little trouble with the previous owners?:D yeah, we usually stay at the ranch lodge....and yeah...Dennis seems to think the more the better....but when you have 30 people....10 of which are kids that dont listen for chit...and you REPEATEDLY tell them "dont ride here...dont do donuts there" and they continue to do it.....GRRRR....dont get me started, LOL.

raider red 2000
11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
i believe that ray gets a lot of coverage because of their coach. he is in his second year there...first head FB job....has seemed to turn the program around. they are in the playoffs and have a shot of doing well.

it is a shame that more papers dont talk about all of the schools in the area though.

3afan
11-04-2004, 04:37 PM
gotta be the cool uni's !!!