PDA

View Full Version : 22-3A coin flip?

andy_dufresne
11-03-2004, 01:55 PM
I heard on the radio from the Diboll coach that if three or more teams tie in 22-3A then they go to a coin flip b/c of some antiquainted rule in the district.

Any of you 22-3Aers have any extra on that? From what I understood it's possible that there could still be a four-way tie THEN they could go to a coin flip.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

AggieJohn
11-03-2004, 01:58 PM
a la FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

andy_dufresne
11-03-2004, 02:11 PM
EXACTLY!!! How crazy is that?

Junkyard
11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
There are no antiquated rules. All rules and bi laws are written and agreed upon by the new districts at each new realignment.

There can not be a 4 way tie.
if Jasper beats Silsbee there will be a 3 way tie with each school having a 4-1 district record.

If Jasper beats Silsbee by 16 or more then all schools are even on the point system of tie breakers and that is when the coin flip comes in to play to seed the teams for playoffs.

spiveyrat
11-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
There are no antiquated rules. All rules and bi laws are written and agreed upon by the new districts at each new realignment.

There can not be a 4 way tie.
if Jasper beats Silsbee there will be a 3 way tie with each school having a 4-1 district record.

If Jasper beats Silsbee by 16 or more then all schools are even on the point system of tie breakers and that is when the coin flip comes in to play to seed the teams for playoffs.

A three-way-tie is contingent on Kirbyville beating Buna this week too. While a Kirbyville win is probable...

...any given Friday night... :thinking:

Junkyard
11-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
A three-way-tie is contingent on Kirbyville beating Buna this week too. While a Kirbyville win is probable...

...any given Friday night... :thinking:

No if Kville loses it will not be a 4 way tie Silsbee wil be 4-1, Jasper will be 4-1 and Kville will be 3-2 .

andy_dufresne
11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
So if Silsbee beats Jasper then Jasper is the top D2 seed (thus playing Diboll) and K'ville is the 2nd D2 seed (thus playing Rusk/Crockett)?

Junkyard
11-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
So if Silsbee beats Jasper then Jasper is the top D2 seed (thus playing Diboll) and K'ville is the 2nd D2 seed (thus playing Rusk/Crockett)?

No if Jasper loses then they will be 3-2 and Silsbee will be 5-0 and Kville will be 4-1 if they beat Buna.

andy_dufresne
11-03-2004, 03:05 PM
So then Diboll would still play Jasper, right?

Junkyard
11-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Yes if Jasper loses to Silsbee or if they win by 16 and lose the coin toss they will play Diboll.

44INAROW
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
I heard on the radio from the Diboll coach that if three or more teams tie in 22-3A then they go to a coin flip b/c of some antiquainted rule in the district.

Any of you 22-3Aers have any extra on that? From what I understood it's possible that there could still be a four-way tie THEN they could go to a coin flip.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

In 1970, Cuero was in a 3-way tie for District - won the coin toss and eventually ended up playing Brownwood for the State Championship..

spiveyrat
11-03-2004, 03:33 PM
No if Kville loses it will not be a 4 way tie Silsbee wil be 4-1, Jasper will be 4-1 and Kville will be 3-2 .

:confused:

That's kind of what I said in my post... except I didn't mention anything about anyone being in a 4 way tie. What I said was Kirbyville has to win Friday for there to be a 3-way-tie for first place.

Ranger05
11-03-2004, 04:02 PM
i think the coin toss is the dumbest way to go about things they should do head to head wins and power points

southern_thunder
11-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
i think the coin toss is the dumbest way to go about things they should do head to head wins and power points

cant do a head to head with more than 2 teams.
and the coin toss is used when the points sysstem is even.

Ranger05
11-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by southern_thunder
cant do a head to head with more than 2 teams.
and the coin toss is used when the points sysstem is even.
thats true my bad its been a long day im not all their today

Hupernikomen
11-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes if Jasper loses to Silsbee or if they win by 16 and lose the coin toss they will play Diboll.

1. Jasper loses they are the #2 d-2 seed.
2. Jasper wins by less than 16 they are the #2 d-2 seed (if Kirbyville wins).
3. Jasper wins by 16+ it makes the 16 points max system be a plus zero for all three and the second tie-breaker is a coin flip to determine the d-2 seeds.
4. Kirbyville loses and Jasper wins by any amount Jasper is the #1 d-2 seed.

I think those are the 4 possible scenarios.

j_dog
11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
As Junkyard said, they will go to a coin flip only if all the tie-breakers have been exhausted. A three-way tie is a possibility if Jasper wins by 16 or more points over Silsbee. Jasper lost to Kirbyville, who lost to Silsbee, who (I HOPE) will lose to Jasper by at least 16. Therefore, in this case head to head would not work, and the points would all be net zero. Therefore, the coin flip is set as the final tie breaker. It really is not THAT big a deal for 22-3a this year. All three of these teams are already in the playoffs. A coin flip is not going to send any team home. And it will not even come into play unless Jasper can beat Silsbee by at least 16 points. And Silsbee fans are assuring us that they are going to win anyway. :) ;) ;)