PDA

View Full Version : About the GodFather

Phil C
11-02-2004, 03:30 PM
I am editing this because those that know me do not need to read farther. This is for some of the newer ones mainly like Green Monster.

When I was a boy about 12 there were no girls' sports except for volleyball in my high school. This was in early 60s in a small school. One day they had an inschool competition between some of the junior and senior girls. On of the girls after finishing the races collapsed into her teammates arms exausted. One of the assistanct coaches sitting near by remarked to another one "I still say a woman's place is in the home." I thought to myself (we had to much respect for growups to speak out our mind back then) "Yeah but what if they had the coaching, training and the facilities that we boys have." Unknown to me this was a mountain in my life that laid asleep for almost 40 years. I never attended a softball game or any girls' sports till a few years ago. I was walking on the Sinton track while a softball game was going on. I don't remember the game but Sinton won. As I walked by I noticed that the Sinton pitcher was doing a great job. Her name was Amanda Stevens who is doing great at Texas Lutheran University right now. The girls played great but I noticed they didn't have the support that the boys sports had. It was then I remembered what happened many years ago. I was then hooked on girls softball which is still my favorite but I also started supporting other girls sports such as volleyball and girls' basketball. I go to these events while they are young in junior high so that the parents and coaches and kids know me and that I am just a fan. I am not stupid as to know that nowadays people are justifiable suspicious of strangers to I make sure that as many as I can know me. Over the past few years of supporting Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates some of the athletes called me the GodFather because I go support the teams. Some of them have even called me Sinton's Number 1 Fan which is an honor to have but that is one that I have never felt worthy to claim. I like all sports including football, boys and girls basketball, baseball, track, soccer, softball etc. I enjoy going to these events and supporting them. As long as health and fund permit I will continue to do so. I support the girls more I admit because they still do not have the fan following that the boys teams have.
I have been blessed to keep on inspite of being diebetic and have had cancer surgery (which was considered successful.) That is why I really empazise enjoying life while there is time.
Some folks have said I need a life but this is the life for me. Others may enjoy partying, going to movies, etc. This is what I enjoy and is my life. Why was I the lucky one. :D
I hope this eases Green and others minds. I want to conclude by urging all of you to keep up with medical checkups. It could save your life. It did mine. I was blessed with God's help and an outstanding physician and prayers of friends and family to come through ok. The early detection is very important. So no matter your age please keep up with medical checkups and urge all family and friends to do so too.

AP Panther Fan
11-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks for sharing that Phil C! I, for one, will look forward to my daughter playing sports in Aransas Pass and feel good about traveling to Sinton (or vice versa) just knowing you will be there! You might have to bend the rules and cheer for her when she comes up to bat or serves though!:D

Look forward to seeing you for many years to come!

Phil C
11-02-2004, 03:50 PM
I sure will AP and look forward to it and seeing you all at the games. Let me know when she starts. I am a fan of the Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates but I am also a fan of individuals too as you could tell by my letter to the editor I am sure. :)

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Phil C......you keep up the good work. Remember, you do this for the kids, not for the posters or fans. May God continue to bless and keep you, my friend.

Phil C
11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you Bull! I am leaving in a few minutes to get my family and we are going to the game in Floresville!

Keith7
11-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Phil you have inspired me to share news reports on gainesville's volleyball team a few times, u really help people understand that there is more to high school athletics besides football.. keep it up dogg :thumbsup: