PDA

View Full Version : Best Food Eaten When Travelling to Playoff Game?

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 12:58 PM
What's the best place and food you've ever eaten when travelling to a playoff game? For me it's easy......the "plato gordo" from Uncle Julio's in Ft. Worth. It's a huge platter with beef and chicken fajita meat covered with a rack of Mexican BBQ ribs, with BBQ shrimp spread all around, guacamole on the corners. Served with an individual plate of pico de gallo ,beans,and fajita fixins' plus homemade flour tortillas hot off their tortilla machine. Add Corona + lime and you're in heaven. What do you know of that can top that?

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 01:00 PM
not a playoff game...but...there is a little Mexican food place in Mathis not far off the highway....and MAN it has some good food!

AP Panther Fan
11-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Geez, I am really hungry now!

I always enjoy stopping in Cuero at Don Bravo's (Mexican Food) anytime I am heading north and passing through. Have been guilty of timing my departures to coincide with lunch:D

j_dog
11-02-2004, 01:16 PM
If I were traveling in So Texas, I would go to the Country Cajun that used to be in Portland I think it was. I understand it is in Flour Bluff now? They have better Cajun food than Louisiana if you can believe that! :)

spiveyrat
11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
If I were traveling in So Texas, I would go to the Country Cajun that used to be in Portland I think it was. I understand it is in Flour Bluff now? They have better Cajun food than Louisiana if you can believe that! :)

Personally, I don't believe it. ;)

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I always enjoy stopping in Cuero at Don Bravo's (Mexican Food) anytime I am heading north and passing through. Have been guilty of timing my departures to coincide with lunch:D oh MAN....i ride my motorcycle up there sometimes just to eat there!! AND its a cool road trip

GreenMonster
11-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Great Idea. UMMMMM..... I'l have to go with Joe Allen's in downtown Abilene. Fantastic barbecue or hand cut steaks. Steaks ordered by thickness and doneness. Melts in your mouth.:thumbsup:

44INAROW
11-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I always enjoy stopping in Cuero at Don Bravo's (Mexican Food) anytime I am heading north and passing through. Have been guilty of timing my departures to coincide with lunch:D

I know some young men "personally" :) that go to Don Bravo every Weds night after practice - it is a tradition with them. There are some coaches from Yoakum that are seen there regularly too. The food is good, quick and plenty of it.

Last time we had a playoff game in San Marcos, we ventured off the path a bit and went to Blue Springs Cafe between Seguin and New Braunfels.. Best onion rings I ever had.:) :D

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
El Rio in Boerne. Yummy!

black&blue
11-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Casa Torres mexican food in Decatur, Texas.

big daddy russ
11-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Moya's Mexican food in Refugio and the Astor steakhouse in Corpus.

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
not a playoff game...but...there is a little Mexican food place in Mathis not far off the highway....and MAN it has some good food!

What kind of inspirational, playoff mood music would you recommend on the way, IHStangfan? You got to take it "a little higher" over your first list, as this will be the playoffs now. Maybe a little "Shout", or "We Are the Champions" by Queen.

GOFOR2
11-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Astor Steakhouse in Corpus rocks.
Some little hole in the wall Mexican Restaurant in Victoria was excellent just cant quite remember what it was called. I am sure the designated driver can remember.

44INAROW
11-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Astor Steakhouse in Corpus rocks.
Some little hole in the wall Mexican Restaurant in Victoria was excellent just cant quite remember what it was called. I am sure the designated driver can remember.

Would you maybe be talking about the orginal Kettle Inn aka La Casuella (sp) on Laurent.. It is a little place but makes the best mexican food and cold cerveza

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What kind of inspirational, playoff mood music would you recommend on the way, IHStangfan? You got to take it "a little higher" over your first list, as this will be the playoffs now. Maybe a little "Shout", or "We Are the Champions" by Queen. well Bull....ya KNOW ya gotta throw a little "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles in there just for effect....then follow up w/ some "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGs for the intemidation factor. :cool:

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-02-2004, 02:41 PM
What's the best place and food you've ever eaten when travelling to a playoff game? For me it's easy......the "plato gordo" from Uncle Julio's in Ft. Worth. It's a huge platter with beef and chicken fajita meat covered with a rack of Mexican BBQ ribs, with BBQ shrimp spread all around, guacamole on the corners. Served with an individual plate of pico de gallo ,beans,and fajita fixins' plus homemade flour tortillas hot off their tortilla machine. Add Corona + lime and you're in heaven. What do you know of that can top that? i had that along time ago, it was good stuff. well minus the corona:( , but the meal was awesome

TigerShark
11-02-2004, 02:43 PM
I am new to Corpus and South Texas, where is this Astor Steakhouse.

And also, I went to school in Lake Charles, La., I need to try this cajun restraurant in Flour Bluff for a true confirmation.

pirate4state
11-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Frank's in Schulenburg. :thumbsup:

pancho villa
11-02-2004, 02:45 PM
HOOTERS

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
well Bull....ya KNOW ya gotta throw a little "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles in there just for effect....then follow up w/ some "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGs for the intemidation factor. :cool:

I don't want to steal your "thunder" IHStangFan......maybe you need to start a new playoff music thread to do this justice.....

44INAROW
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by TigerShark

And also, I went to school in Lake Charles, La., I need to try this cajun restraurant in Flour Bluff for a true confirmation.

What do you think of Steamboat Bills in LC? I like the Fried Boudan Balls:D

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't want to steal your "thunder" IHStangFan......maybe you need to start a new playoff music thread to do this justice..... hey Bull....lets go in halves "Bull's and IHS's Playoff Tunes" or something like that, LOL. you wanna lead off or should i?

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
hey Bull....lets go in halves "Bull's and IHS's Playoff Tunes" or something like that, LOL. you wanna lead off or should i?

Thanks 'Stang, but you "take it", the music thing is more of a "young" man's thing....I'll just ad lib a little now and then .

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks 'Stang, but you "take it", the music thing is more of a "young" man's thing....I'll just ad lib a little now and then . LOL...alright amigo...but dang...i'll be 28 in Jan....i'm not exactly a young buck.

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
LOL...alright amigo...but dang...i'll be 28 in Jan....i'm not exactly a young buck.

I've got a son 4 years older than you 'Stang, so you know I've been around awhile.

BullFrog Dad
11-02-2004, 03:02 PM
The Mansion on Turtle Creek

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
The Mansion on Turtle Creek

BullFrog Dad....you left some dollars behind if you went to The Mansion, great restaurant though. By the way, congrats to the Bullfrogs for a great game against the Bulls.....you guys really earned that one.

TigerShark
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
What do you think of Steamboat Bills in LC? I like the Fried Boudan Balls:D

It is good, but their is another, Mr. Bills Seafood Express. Now that place had it going on.

IHStangFan
11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I've got a son 4 years older than you 'Stang, so you know I've been around awhile. hehehe...yeah, i guess ya got me there Bull...but i FEEL old in the mornings sometimes...the dang Army ragged my ole body out!!

BullFrog Dad
11-02-2004, 03:12 PM
BullFrog Dad....you left some dollars behind if you went to The Mansion, great restaurant though. By the way, congrats to the Bullfrogs for a great game against the Bulls.....you guys really earned that one. Thanx Bullaholic, my heart's been out of rhythm since that game! As far as the Mansion I was turned down for a loan needed to eat lunch there! That place is waaayyy outta' my league and my comedy could use some work!!!

j_dog
11-02-2004, 03:15 PM
...........And also, I went to school in Lake Charles, La., I need to try this cajun restraurant in Flour Bluff for a true confirmation.
The Country Cajun has moved around. It started in Portland, moved to CC off Staples, then back to Portland because they raised their rent, then moved to Flour Bluff.

My story. The first time I went there with some guys, it was in Corpus. They had crawfish etoufee lunch special for something like $5.00. I "KNEW" that would not be enough for me, so I ordered the dinner plate for $7 or $8. Big mistake. I had never seen so many crawfish! :D I had to waddle out I ate so much. :mad: I don't know if they still do this, but they included hot corn bread with the meals, and they just kept bringing it out. My wife, her niece, and I went for three staight meals to their location when it was in Portland, each had something different every time, and every plate was superb! :) If you try it, let me know if it is still that good. Hope I have not made any cajun eaters hungry! :D Warning, I hear the Flour Bluff location is just a little hole in the wall kind of place that you would drive on by if you hadn't heard about it. I did have a friend check it out and he loved it.

44INAROW
11-02-2004, 03:18 PM
J-dog.. when it was in CC.. was it in a strip mall type place.. out of the way.. if you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it? If it is,, I got the best and biggest Shrimp Salad I ever ate in my life there..

Ranger05
11-02-2004, 03:25 PM
coopers barbeque in Llano Texas one of the Top 3 barbeque spots in the state

rhs78
11-02-2004, 03:27 PM
anytime in san antonio go to Don Pedros the best in town

big daddy russ
11-02-2004, 03:45 PM

Hey Tigershark...

If you're coming from the Harbor Bridge/Ocean Drive/Downtown, hit 37 towards San Antonio...

Exit on North Padre Island Drive (Hwy 358... turns into SPID after Crosstown) like you're going out to the airport...

Look for the Leopard exit immediately... it comes up quick...

Exit and take a left on Leopard over the freeway...

The Astor will be just a couple blocks down... It's an old building but don't let it fool you, best steaks in Corpus bar none... Most people that live in town have never even heard of it, but it blows the roof off The Republic of Texas and at a fraction of the price...

If you're coming from the malls/southside/the island, just go straight down SPID all the way past the exit for the airport...

Exit Leopard, take a right and follow the above instructions...

If you need help
Astor Steakhouse
5533 LEOPARD ST, CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78408
Phone: (361) 289-0101

I copied this off of the Yellow Pages.

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Man. I can't write all these places down fast enough.....I do appreciate good food....grew up in Metairie, La., a suburb of New Orleans, lived in Lafayette, La a few years, and had an opportunity to enjoy some of the finest cuisine in the world. There are a couple of world class BBQ places in the Hill Country....one in Lockhart, I think. There's another famous steakhouse in San Angelo called "Loaque's" (Sp) that I ate at when I was very young.

Ranger05
11-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Man. I can't write all these places down fast enough.....I do appreciate good food....grew up in Metairie, La., a suburb of New Orleans, lived in Lafayette, La a few years, and had an opportunity to enjoy some of the finest cuisine in the world. There are a couple of world class BBQ places in the Hill Country....one in Lockhart, I think. There's another famous steakhouse in San Angelo called "Loaque's" (Sp) that I ate at when I was very young.
i believe that loarque's (sp) is shut down i know that they were about to shut down or sell it and that was 2 years ago

G.A.T.A 2008
11-02-2004, 09:24 PM
If I was goin' South i would stop in Seguin to eat at Los Cucos and I think thats where are first playoff game is. Yummy and Yes:)

Keith7
11-02-2004, 09:34 PM
I wait til I get to the game and eat either a BBQ sandwich or a Frito Chilli Pie

sinton66
11-02-2004, 09:44 PM
If any of you end up playing a playoff game at Kyle field, check out the Country Inn at Somerville. DANG good steaks. Haven't had too many any better. Good prices too, since he cuts his own meat. Try it, you'll LOVE it.

Old Tiger
11-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Taco's from Jack In The Box.

Bandera YaYa
11-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I wait til I get to the game and eat either a BBQ sandwich or a Frito Chilli Pie Yeah, not a football game without a frito pie!!!! :D

I usually pig out after the game.....especially if we win!!!!

cdlvj
11-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Frank's in Schulenburg. :thumbsup:

Anyone remember the Cottonwood Inn, La Grange. Franks is pretty decent but used to be fantastic, and there also was Bob Adamciks in Schulenburg.

44INAROW
11-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Anyone remember the Cottonwood Inn, La Grange. Franks is pretty decent but used to be fantastic, and there also was Bob Adamciks in Schulenburg.

Remember Franks when it was downtown years ago ( I think it is the Bus Station now).. We didn't make a trip to grandma's for Christmas that we didnt' stop at Franks for breakfast...

big daddy russ
11-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
If any of you end up playing a playoff game at Kyle field, check out the Country Inn at Somerville. DANG good steaks. Haven't had too many any better. Good prices too, since he cuts his own meat. Try it, you'll LOVE it.
Oh yeah, 66. I have a friend who works over there. Have you ever tried to down one of their Chicken Fried Steaks by yourself? Personally, I couldn't do it and I can put away some food.

District303aPastPlayer
11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Taco's from Jack In The Box.

umm... GROSS

tmac
11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Moya's Mexican food in Refugio and the Astor steakhouse in Corpus.

I don't know about yall but if I eat mexican food before the game my stomach is churning the whole game