PDA

View Full Version : Running Up the Score

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
What do you consider running up the score? I say an example is when your team is behind 60-0 and the other coach leaves his 1st string in and calls a long pass or kicks a field goal. If however, the coach puts his 2nd or 3rd string in and they continue to score, that's another story. Also, if the team that is beating you badly is a highly ranked state team, do you think it is right if they continue to "run up" the score? There are still a lot of "old wounds" out there because some coaches have been accused of "running up" the score on rivals or when their team is state ranked.

TheDOCTORdre
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
When i become a coach I'm gonna live by the motto "Leave No Doubt" I will take my 1st string out but I will let my 2nd and 3rd string run it up more if they can

Port_town_texas
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I 2nd that!

tmac
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
a games a game you play to win and if the defense is still suppose to hold the other offense shouldnt the offense still score on the defense.and leaving in starters is up to the coach,if u want the risk of losing a star player

jason
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
When i become a coach I'm gonna live by the motto "Leave No Doubt" I will take my 1st string out but I will let my 2nd and 3rd string run it up more if they can i agree...the 2nd and 3rd string are fighting for 1st string spots, and you have to execute to earn that...and good execution = touchdowns...

Cliff Hanger
11-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Running up the score is very subjective. What one man thinks is running up the score another man might not. I do know this however, all good coaches will do what's best for their team first and what's best for the opposing team second. If they feel their team needs to win big, that's what they will do. As for the other team, it's not his concern.

Jody
11-02-2004, 03:52 PM
If you get the score ran up on you in a game, that is because you sucked that night Get used to it, your gonna get it again soon!

:D :D

Ranger Mom
11-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Sometimes those blowout games will be the only chance some kids ever have to even step on the field, much less get the ball and score a touchdown...how can you NOT let them!!

JHS_c/o_06'
11-02-2004, 03:58 PM
I wish we ran up the score sometimes.....i'd love to see us break 50 this year.....but they always put the second and third string in during the 3rd quarter.

And as for running up the score....its wrong sometimes....but sometimes you have a point to prove and you need to.

Bullaholic
11-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Sometimes those blowout games will be the only chance some kids ever have to even step on the field, much less get the ball and score a touchdown...how can you NOT let them!!

RM, I never would have figured you for one of those "go for the throat" kinda girls.....:D

CHSBaseball07
11-02-2004, 05:33 PM
For some reason i think if any team scores over 60...they did something wrong.........but u are right sometimes the 2nd and 3rd strings keep on scoring,..........Mike Leach on the other hand...dont get me started on Tech

mustang04
11-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
For some reason i think if any team scores over 60...they did something wrong.........but u are right sometimes the 2nd and 3rd strings keep on scoring,..........Mike Leach on the other hand...dont get me started on Tech

y not...i love how they slaughtered nebraska...just loved it, they made a statement

i just hate it when u start taking it easy and 'not run up the score' and the other team starts doing good and after the game they are saying how they 'coulda came back in 1 more quarter..bla bla bla"

TheDOCTORdre
11-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i just hate it when u start taking it easy and 'not run up the score' and the other team starts doing good and after the game they are saying how they 'coulda came back in 1 more quarter..bla bla bla"
Easy there reg dont start anything

j_dog
11-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I wish we ran up the score sometimes.....i'd love to see us break 50 this year.....but they always put the second and third string in during the 3rd quarter.

And as for running up the score....its wrong sometimes....but sometimes you have a point to prove and you need to.
Yes, it appears that the 30's is where Jasper seems generally to draw the line on scoring with the first string. Okay, as long as the game is firmly in hand. The last two games were 28-0 at the half.

Ranger Mom
11-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
RM, I never would have figured you for one of those "go for the throat" kinda girls.....:D

I'm a woman of many moods!!:D

Roll'em up
11-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07

College is a much different situation than that of high school. You have to remember points scored mean rankings and rankings mean dollars, recruiting and etc.

sinton66
11-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

RM gets plumb serious about her football.;)

gobbler grad
11-02-2004, 10:49 PM
why risk getting a starter hurt if your up by 30 or 40 points. if the 2nd or 3rd team can keep scoring, then obviously the other defense is no good or you may have a damn good all around team.

GreenMonster
11-03-2004, 12:00 AM
What are we talking about?? There is no such thing as running up the score. UNLESS...... you're on the wrong side of the scoreboard. :devil:

RTX 14
11-03-2004, 12:12 AM
if you u run up the score, most will take their key players out and if they keep scorin, what are u suppost to do? cause u just aint gonna give them the ball

scrub c
11-03-2004, 08:00 AM
its a game that uses a SCOREboard and the object of the game is to score, or stop the other team from scoring. Just because you are second string dosent mean they should not be given the opportunity to score as well.

stangs4life
11-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Just because a team is winning by a large margin does not mean that they should stop scoring. Games are meant to be learning experiences and I think that many times, those on the other end make more out of it than should be made because when you are up by 30, 40, ..., that is not only an opportunity to play 2nd and 3rd string players, but it is also an opportunity to practice weaker techniques/plays. WO-S won over O-F last Friday 56-0, but I don't think the coaches intentionally and maliciously ran up the score. We were able to play alot of different players at various positions.

:thinking:

gbizzle_9lion
11-03-2004, 11:37 AM
i dont care so much for running up the score but if you are going to win why not win by a lot give the crowd what they paid for but on the other hand if you run the score up on somebody dont get your panties in a bunch if another team rolls up the score on you later in the season

garageoffice
11-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by gbizzle_9lion
... but on the other hand if you run the score up on somebody dont get your panties in a bunch if another team rolls up the score on you later in the season

Good point G. If you look around at the teams that have a great PROGRAM they almost always get accused of running up the score. What happens? They're usually up 30+ in the first half and play starters maybe one series in the second and then start subbing. That's how you guarantee a good team again the next year, by giving the next generation some real experience and the confidence that comes with proven success. I think most people don't like to see scores of 63-0, but sometimes it's almost impossible not to score if you've successfully built a powerful program.

District303aPastPlayer
11-03-2004, 12:49 PM
you cant coach a kid not to score

RBARKER
11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I would hate to have a coach that would leave in his first string in if the game was firmly at hand.This just opens up the chance of one of your star players getting injured for no reason other than arrogance. BH will take out the offensive starters in the 3rd quarter if the game is at hand, but they do leave the defensive 1st tring in.

BIGGBROTHER
11-03-2004, 02:02 PM
who else can agree that if your losing even by a large margin
kneeling the ball is well a little pansy
i mean if your beating me down beat me till i dont get up
or leave
kneeling the ball takes away the chance
look at who was it plano?
scored 35 points in 2 minutes 30 seconds in like 96?