PDA

View Full Version : Cotulla upsets Hondo 26-18

intocable_cowboy
10-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Cotulla evened thier district mark at 2-2 by pulling the upset win over Hondo and by the necessary point speard for the playoff tie breaker if we win next week against Pearsall. Depending on how events unfold next Friday, Cotulla could make the playoffs, as either the 2nd or 3rd place team. It was a good game, Cotulla played its heart out. Cotulla took the early lead 8-0 in the 1st Q on a rushing td. Hondo answered with a td strike through the air, but failed on their 2pt conversion. Cotulla held 8-6. The 2nd Q saw Hondo take the lead 12-8. Cotulla mounted a drive that led them deep into Hondo territory late in the 2nd Q but only to see a pass picked off at the 1yd line. Things could have gone down hill at this point, but to serve as a moral booster a Cotulla defender brought a Hondo player down in the endzone for a safety. Hondo led at the half 12-10. Hondo won the toss at the start of the game and had defered till the 2nd half. Cotulla knew it couldn't get too far behind and booted the onside kick, Cowboys recovered. They went on to score and took back the lead 17-12. Cotulla held Hondo and scored again on a pass play, xpt failed, Cotulla led 23-12. Cotulla melted as much time as they could in the 4th Q but Hondo still got the ball with over half a Q to go. Hondo took a lengthy drive down the field and got the td they needed, xpt failed, Cotulla held 23-18. The Cowboys got the ball back with little over a minute left. The Cowboys wanted more than a win, they wanted to have a chance for a playoff appearance. Coach Booker knew what his team needed to do, and so did the players, either a fg or a td would get it done. The Cowboys went down the field and made the most of the time that was given to them. Cotulla got just inside the 15yd line to attempt the field goal. As the ball was snapped two Hondo defenders got penetration and looked to have a shot to block the fg, the ball got off in time and went high and through the uprights. Cotulla led 26-18 with 6 secs to go. Hondo attempted some lateral magic, but it wasn't to be. Let the party begin! Uh oh, theres a flag on the field, it went against Cotulla for illegal procedure if I recall right. Hondo had a another chance at it, but this time Cotulla got to the runner before he could pass it. Now let the party begin! Ice buckets and all, lol, they should have brought down the goal posts. The win was the first against Hondo in maybe 30 something years, if I'm right. And Hondo now sits at two losses in district, which hasn't happened in the last 6yrs, if it's longer then it's been a awhile. Hondo, ya'll played a great a game and never gave up, and ya'll were never out of it. Good luck against Carrizo next week.

Cowboys, I believed in ya'll when we down 0-2. When someone told me he didn't think it could be done, I told him don't be so sure, Boston proved it could be done. Now they sit at 2-2 one win away from what some said would not happen. Lets make them eat their words Cowboys. Good luck against Pearsall next Friday!

Other 293A scores:

Devine (8-1,4-0) 52, Pearsall (6-3,1-3) 8

Crystal City (5-4,3-1) 33, Carrizo Springs (2-7,0-4) 14

Next Weeks Games:

Cotulla (6-3,2-2) at Pearsall (6-3,1-3)

Devine (8-1,4-0) at Crystal City (5-4,3-1)

Carrizo Springs (2-7,0-4) at Hondo (3-6,2-2)

footballgal
10-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Yeah Cowboys!!!!!!

Now go get Pearsall

GOFOR2
10-30-2004, 12:01 PM
so, Hondo may not make the playoffs, huh?

Tidal Wave
10-30-2004, 12:06 PM
So what do yall think? Who is going to end up 1 2 3?

Phil C
10-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the update intolcable cowboy!

Phil C
10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I look for there to be three 3-2 teams after the last game which will be Cotulla, Hondo, and Crystal City. That will leave three teams in quest for two spots. I think Cotulla and Hondo will win their games and Devine will beat Crystal City. If they go by point difference Hondo will get second and be Division 1 and Cotulla will get third and be division 2 with district champion Devine. The main thing is that Hondo beat Crystal City by 29 points and that puts Crystal City out. Crystal City's only hope is to pull a big upset on Devine which I don't see happening. Of course an upset in the other two games could change things and that is not an impossibility.

footballgal
10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Tidal Wave
So what do yall think? Who is going to end up 1 2 3?
What I know for sure is if Cotulla makes the playoffs, then they go Division II, the only have like 365 enrollment the smallest in the district. (when I went to school there, we had more students then they do now)

Last time PI almost met Cotulla, was the year that PI played Aransas Pass, as Cotulla almost came out with an upset over AP that year, but fail short.

So maybe, if they make it to the playoffs and win their BI-district game they would meet either La Feria or PI (assuming Hidalgo goes Div I)

footballgal
10-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I look for there to be three 3-2 teams after the last game which will be Cotulla, Hondo, and Crystal City. That will leave three teams in quest for two spots. I think Cotulla and Hondo will win their games and Devine will beat Crystal City. If they go by point difference Hondo will get second and be Division 1 and Cotulla will get third and be division 2 with district champion Devine. The main thing is that Hondo beat Crystal City by 29 points and that puts Crystal City out. Crystal City's only hope is to pull a big upset on Devine which I don't see happening. Of course an upset in the other two games could change things and that is not an impossibility.

That's sounds kind of complicated, I just hope that the Cowboys make it to the post season.

CS_WILDCATS
10-30-2004, 08:34 PM
I believe crystal city still makes the playoffs even if they lose. If they lose next week vs devine they still beat cotulla and I think that would be the tie breaker. Last nite after the game they anounced that with the win over the wildcats - crystal was in the playoffs for the 1st time in 51 yrs. Its been a tough year for the cats and crystal deserves all the credit. They had a fast and big team. There fans were standing all night long and partied in the streets. This will be the first time that I can remember when the wildcats will go 0 and 5 in district play. This district has gotten better over the years and its good to see other teams get into the playoff action.

intocable_cowboy
10-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by CS_WILDCATS
I believe crystal city still makes the playoffs even if they lose. If they lose next week vs devine they still beat cotulla and I think that would be the tie breaker.

As far as I know, Cotulla would hold the tie breaker with an 8 pt speard over Hondo who beat Crystal City. The word coming from the athletic dept during the week was that anything less than 8pts would not be enough for the tie breaker. This is where it gets tricky, I'm gonna have to read up on the uil rules for tie breakers this year. But if Crystal is in, then Hondo might be the one out:eek: hmm... once I clear up the whole standings I'll let ya'll know.

District303aPastPlayer
10-31-2004, 10:17 AM
SO if hondo doesnt go. . . who is D1?

PhiI C
10-31-2004, 10:23 AM
If Hondo is out which I doubt then Div 1 would go to Crystal City since both Pearsall and Carrizo Springs are out.

LH Panther Mom
10-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by intocable_cowboy
As far as I know, Cotulla would hold the tie breaker with an 8 pt speard over Hondo who beat Crystal City. The word coming from the athletic dept during the week was that anything less than 8pts would not be enough for the tie breaker. This is where it gets tricky, I'm gonna have to read up on the uil rules for tie breakers this year. But if Crystal is in, then Hondo might be the one out:eek: hmm... once I clear up the whole standings I'll let ya'll know.

The way I understand it, the district has the option at the beginning of the season, to set the tie-breaker rules. If they don't set anything, then they default to UIL rules. So, first you need to find out about the district.

PhiI C
10-31-2004, 10:29 AM
I still say that it will be Sinton vs Hondo this week because even though Crystal City has control of their destiny and gets in with a tie or win this week unfortunately for them they are playing Devine and they are not going to win that game. For us it would be good if they could pull it off because then we have a coin flip chance for the home field. Unfortunately we will have to go to San Antonio if not Hondo for the game next week. Either way I am sure that we will have coaches scouting Crystal City and Hondo this week.

PhiI C
10-31-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't have anything against playing Hondo again but it would be nice to play a different team (Crystal City) even if we lose the coin flip. :)

GOFOR2
10-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by intocable_cowboy

Intocable, do you have the scores on the Hondo-Cotulla, Hondo-Crystal City, and Crystal City-Cotulla games? We can prolly figure it out much more easily if we had some scores.

sinton66
10-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Cotulla beat Hondo 26-18.
Hondo beat Crystal City 29-0
Crystal City beat Cotulla 21-14

GOFOR2
10-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Cotulla beat Hondo 26-18.
Hondo beat Crystal City 29-0
Crystal City beat Cotulla 21-14

I aint no rocket scientist, but according to my calculations, if there is a three way tie at 3-2 this is what I have would happen, I think:

Crystal City is -11 (-18 to Hondo, +7 to Cotulla)
Cotulla is +1 (+8 to Hondo, -7 to Crystal City)
Hondo is +10 (-8 to Cotulla, +18 to Crystal City)

This would put Crystal City out, so in order for Crystal City to get in, they would have to upset Devine, or have Hondo or Cotulla lose. So it appears that Hondo and Cotulla still have the inside track for the playoffs, and Crystal City would have to pull off a miracle.

footballgal
10-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Wow! this is really getting tricky. So Devine hasn't lost to anyone in district?

sinton66
10-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Okay, I see your method, but wouldn't Crystal City be -22? Lost to Hondo by 29.

intocable_cowboy
11-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I aint no rocket scientist, but according to my calculations, if there is a three way tie at 3-2 this is what I have would happen, I think:

Crystal City is -11 (-18 to Hondo, +7 to Cotulla)
Cotulla is +1 (+8 to Hondo, -7 to Crystal City)
Hondo is +10 (-8 to Cotulla, +18 to Crystal City)

This would put Crystal City out, so in order for Crystal City to get in, they would have to upset Devine, or have Hondo or Cotulla lose. So it appears that Hondo and Cotulla still have the inside track for the playoffs, and Crystal City would have to pull off a miracle.

see this is the way i saw it, without doing the figures. I have still heard some say that Crystal clinched the berth, though so yea, as footballgal said this is getting a little confusing, and since no major papers cover our district in depth, i have to wait till thursday to see if any of the local papers have it cleared up.

footballgal
11-01-2004, 12:22 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/teams/1987.html

I was just looking at the scores for the season and had realized that the Cowboys lost to Devine, by only 3 points. If I am not mistaken wasn't Cotulla predicted to win against Crystal City, Intocable?

intocable_cowboy
11-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/teams/1987.html

I was just looking at the scores for the season and had realized that the Cowboys lost to Devine, by only 3 points. If I am not mistaken wasn't Cotulla predicted to win against Crystal City, Intocable?

Yea it was 3pts, it might have been only one if we didn't commit the safety. That game was very winnable, it was a big heartbreaker, and I think the team was still hungover from that loss when they played CC, which also could have been won, but poor execution killed that. In the paper I think we were picked to win.

big daddy russ
11-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Okay, I see your method, but wouldn't Crystal City be -22? Lost to Hondo by 29.
Maximum of 18 power points per game... If you win by 100 you still get +18.

If you turn around and lose by 18 it puts you at 0...

GOFOR2
11-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Maximum of 18 power points per game... If you win by 100 you still get +18.

If you turn around and lose by 18 it puts you at 0...

you're alright Big Daddy.

Phil C
11-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Even with the maximum of 18 points in case of three way tie Cotulla and Hondo are in and Crystal City is out.

intocable_cowboy
11-03-2004, 05:21 AM
:doh: Coach Booker called a meeting today with his players to go over some things. It now appears that we didn't beat Hondo by enough, instead of 8pts it should have been 17pts. :thinking: Apparently he didn't read the complete rules on the system, and is putting this on himself. The word coming from the athletic dept is that CC is locked in already, and if it is a 3-way tie then Cotulla is on the ugly end of the tiebreaker.:mad: So now all our hopes lie with two little hobbits, somewhere out in the wilderness. Two possiblities can occur assuming Cotulla wins out; 1. Crystal City pulls out the upset on Devine, I can't believe I'm saying this but now I hope CC wins the title, because the other possiblity is a little far fetched. 2. If Carrizo Springs(0-4) can rally on thier final game, and if Hondo is still hungover, and Carrizo wins then we are fine. Either way, Cotulla is going to play to win, and then wait and see if everything falls in place.