PDA

View Full Version : Got to meet tarpoonfaninnorthtexas

Chief Woodman
10-29-2004, 11:19 PM
It was very nice to get to meet you and to spend some time talking food, football and airplane trips (To PI I hope. Soon too!)

As someone who has never seen Decatur before- what are your thoughts on QB Dane, WR Christian, RB Godboldt, and the team in general?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Well, I felt a little bit at home with all the blue in the stands, and the big crowd. As far as the town itself was concerned, I didn't get to see enough of it to really say anything about it. VERY nice people though.

Decatur is a very impressive ballclub. FORTUNATELY they're going Div. 1, not Div. 2 like Port Isabel is.

Just found out that La Feria got into the playoffs with a 2-0 (not kidding) victory over Lyford, which means that puts PI in Div. 2. Now I need to find out who PI's bi-district opponent could possibly be. IF it's San Diego OR Orange Grove there's a decent chance the game could be somewhere close to Port Isabel, if not IN Port Isabel.

But "TarpOOn"??? Come on, you're worse than Ranger Mom! At least she spelled it right. LOL, I know you're giving me hell about it since you also pronounced "Tarpon" wrong just like Ranger Mom did. :D

Ranger Mom
10-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Hey!! How did I get drug into this conversation??:D

Chief Woodman
10-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Honestly, I just misspelled it. If I were making a pun it would have been Tarpooooooon.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Honestly, I just misspelled it. If I were making a pun it would have been Tarpooooooon.

LOL Good answer. Just givin' ya heck.

And Ranger Mom you made it into the conversation when Chief first mis-pronounced the word "Tarpon", I told him about your infamous mis-pronounciation of the word.

Ranger Mom
10-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
LOL Good answer. Just givin' ya heck.

And Ranger Mom you made it into the conversation when Chief first mis-pronounced the word "Tarpon", I told him about your infamous mis-pronounciation of the word.

Live and Learn!!:D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm not surprised. Most people not living within the friendly confines of Region IV don't know what a Tarpon is.

Honestly though, when Ranger Mom dropped the "Tarpon" mis-pronounciation, that was the first time EVER I had heard someone mis-pronounce the word, so that's why I remember it so much, Ranger Mom.

And Chief, PI will either play Orange Grove (who PI played last year in 1st round in Alice, TX) or San Diego in the 1st round. If it's Orange Grove there's a pretty good chance the game will be pretty close to Port Isabel, since Alice, TX is darn close to where Orange Grove is.

GreenMonster
10-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I just had a funny thought (tar-pawn) (tam-pawn). lol sorry guys it just hit me as funny.

Phantom Stang
10-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I guess y'all can add me to the list of folks who amuse you.lol

What is a Tarpon, and what's the correct way to pronounce it?

Keith7
10-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I guess y'all can add me to the list of folks who amuse you.lol

What is a Tarpon, and what's the correct way to pronounce it?

tar·pon Audio pronunciation of "tarpon" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tärpn)
n. pl. tarpon or tar·pons

Any of several fishes of the family Elopidae or Megalopidae, especially a large silvery game fish (Megalops atlanticus) of Atlantic coastal waters.

Bullaholic
10-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
tar·pon Audio pronunciation of "tarpon" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tärpn)
n. pl. tarpon or tar·pons

Any of several fishes of the family Elopidae or Megalopidae, especially a large silvery game fish (Megalops atlanticus) of Atlantic coastal waters.

In gamefishing, also known as the "Silver King". Been fishing for em' out of Empire, La. several times. They are a large fish, usually 100 lbs. or more and are revered for their acrobatic jumps and fighting spirit when hooked.

footballgal
10-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
In gamefishing, also known as the "Silver King". Been fishing for em' out of Empire, La. several times. They are a large fish, usually 100 lbs. or more and are revered for their acrobatic jumps and fighting spirit when hooked.

Synonym of "Tarpon Football"

Have you fought any of them Bullaholic? I would like to see one in person, my husband tells me they are beautiful, that the silver with the sun really makes the silver sparkle. They used to be many by Port Isabel in the Gulf of Mexico, until at one point they were overfished. They are now making a comback in the gulf once more.

Bullaholic
10-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Synonym of "Tarpon Football"

Have you fought any of them Bullaholic? I would like to see one in person, my husband tells me they are beautiful, that the silver with the sun really makes the silver sparkle. They used to be many by Port Isabel in the Gulf of Mexico, until at one point they were overfished. They are now making a comback in the gulf once more.

Never was lucky enough to hook one footballgal, had to settle for king mackerel and such. Saw many films of Tarpon being caught out of Plaquemine, La., they have several guides who specialize in tarpon there. They are still pretty rare and highly regulated during the season.

footballgal
10-31-2004, 05:22 PM
King Mackerel ?? Oh yeah, my husband got a few on one trip, few years ago, they are fighting fish also. But you know what? They made a very good "ceviche". mmmm