PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/Newton

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Figure there's going to be a lot of trash talking, so I thought I'd give my opinion early.Opinions are like "noses", everybody's got one.
Newton and Jasper are close in many ways. Newton was part of Jasper County until we seceded because it too far to the stadium. We do most of our business in Jasper (nearest Wal-Mart). After the game we'll be friends again amd root for each other.
In my opinion, this is the 20-AAA championship game. The winner goes on in one division the loser in the other. Both will do good.
Newton (6-0) will be the favorite over Jasper (4-2). Thus means absolutely zip, zero, nada, nothing, Newton has not played the tougher schedule. Only one common opponent. But that's the way polls are. I think Newton can win if (if can be a mighty big word) they play to the fullest of their ability and avoid turnovers. They havn't done this yet. Otherwise, it could be bad news. We have a great running game and a good defense, but the kicking game is suspect. I suspect there ain't one.
The best team that night will win. Why don't we just let them settle it on the field. I'm pulling for Newton right now, but this time next week, I'll be pulling for both. no matter who wins.
Y'all come to our house, grab a turkey leg, enjoy our Homecoming and a good game. We're reserving all the parking area in front of the high school for our guests (yes guests and you can return the favor next time at the Boneyard).
We had a good acorn crop. You can see it from the number of squirrells posting on here. And some are from here.
Now for the skeleton in my closet. I was born in Jasper. Shows what a shortage of hospitals can do.
Seriously,welcome, pray for a safe game and when its over, let the winner be gracious and the loser hold their heads up and get on with business. Y'ALL COME.

Bulldog92
10-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Classy post. I wish I could be there to root for the Bulldogs, but it should be a great game and whoever wins will have played their best game. Jasper wins by a nose...21-20. :D

j_dog
10-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Well said! I am sure there will be some good natured trash talking on both sides. But, you are right. We don't need for it to get out of hand. Let's just let the kids play the game on the field. And, I will be pulling for both teams to advance as far as possible.

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Aw come on Bulldog92 21-20. You don't believe in our kicking game? :D

<small>[ October 11, 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Backwoods ]</small>

JasperDog94
10-11-2003, 12:02 PM
After what I saw of Jasper's kicking game, it's pretty suspect also.

As far as parking, I don't think that we even have a parking lot that we can reserve for you guys...sorry... frown

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I knew that. Just a little dig. You need one though. You should see the new facilities at Woodville. First class. Puts us all to shame. wink

JasperDog94
10-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Didn't Woodville play you guys pretty tough in the first half? What's the story there?

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Fumble, fumble fumble and a record number of penalties. One of their TD's was a kickoff return. We have to get it together. Isn't that strange talk about a team averaging 47 points to the opponents 7. But it's true. You are our real test.

holdem
10-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Both teams should head to the playoffs and this game will have a playoff feel. Both teams will represent 20-3A well IF they'll play the remaining district games the way they should - Jasper will be the big and Newton the small (I know Diboll and Woodville are waiting to have a say).

This is going to be a great game and both teams, schools and towns know it. Don't let the trash talkin' ruin it. If you like Newton, cheer for the eagles. If you're a bulldog fan, support the Jasper players. Both teams will be better in the long run because of this game and I'll be surprised if it's not a close game.

Good post, Backwoods.

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Yours too Holdem. Agree 100%; wink

Chris Hart
10-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Jasper by 10! :)

eagle_fan
10-11-2003, 06:51 PM
I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE BACK WOODS BUT A GOOD POINT OF VIEW... I HOPE EVRERY TEAM IN THE EAST TEXAS AREA DOES GOOD I THE PLAYOFFS, NEWTON ,JASPER,BURKEVILLE 1A,AND HEMPILL2A AND WEST SABINE 1A,,, BUT YALL WRONG BOUT THE FINAL SCORES NEWTON WILL GET THEIR 40 PTS AND MAYBE JASPER SAVED SOME TOO WE WILL SEE

whatusay2
10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Our common opponent is Nac and Newton's win over Nac was more impressive than our win over Nac. I really don't see us blowing you guys out this year. I "think" I predicted a blow out (by us or Newton) last year. This year, I predict one of these two things will happen:
1) Newton blows out Jasper (they're still mad about last year). I sure hope this does not happen or I'll have to hear about it until we play each other again and Jasper wins.
2) A very close game that comes down to the last 2 minutes.

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Eagle_fan: I've been on here since 2001. Didn't post for a long time, so I had to re-register. You'll know me at the games. I'm the guy in the purple Eagle shirt and Newton hat. Don't that narrow the field. LOL Go Eagles. :rolleyes:

98Eagle
10-11-2003, 07:17 PM
I know it will be a great game come friday. I think the Eagles will pull it off since it's in Newton and it's homecoming. I'm predicting newton by 13. Get there very early if you want a seat 'cause I can assure you it will be standing room only. Now for my secret shame, I was also born in Jasper. Had the luxury of graduating from Newton class of '99.

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Whatusay2: I don't know what we'd do in the close stuation. We aren't ball control. We're what I call "slash and burn". Slash through the line and burn you for a long one. We've got five running backs that are great at this. I don't see a runaway. Ten points difference at the most. Who? :D

Backwoods
10-11-2003, 07:22 PM
98eagle: They must have a lot of good people in Jasper if they can lose the two of us and still survive. I know they have. I'm kin to a bunch of them. Come early kinfolks before the turkey legs are gone. :p

<small>[ October 11, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Backwoods ]</small>