PDA

View Full Version : Bellville's Head Coach?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Bellville's Huey Chancellor or, applies for 5A Bryan Vikings, job, has anyone heard who was the front runner for that job?
Last year he applied for 4A ElCampo.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Anyone have news?

Bull's-eye
02-08-2004, 02:20 PM
BrazosSports.com list 8 coaches that the school is considering, Chancellor is not one of them.

punt
02-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Why would he leave Bellville when he has everyone eating out of his hand?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Maybe, he could give someone else a shot to win, with all the talent he has had the past 3 years, he should have won a state title, you can have all the talent in the world, but it takes a good coach to win the big games!
You have as much talent on a team as Bellville had, you make a coach look better than he is!
I give all the credit to the football players for the wins. Its the coach that will give the ball to a good team on the 45 yardline with 40 seconds left so they can score before the half. You have a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone, but you call a short kick?

Gobbla2001
02-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Maybe the scouting report said that the team blocked field-goals well.... Woulda had some people mad if it would have been blocked and taken back the other way or if he would have missed the field goal etc...

Now I never saw Bellville play under this guy, so I wouldn't know, maybe you know more than I do...

punt
02-08-2004, 07:41 PM
I have seen Bellville play each of the past 3 years and they have done plenty of winning. Don't know if it was because of or in spite of the head coach. I do feel that this years team was one any coach dreams of. Leaders, dedication, skills, good work ethic, parents support, all the things you hope for. Probably the best snapper-kicker combo in 3A. I too was surprised this group didn't go all the way. Classes like that don't come along every year. The real coaching test will come with the '04 team. If Chancellor is looking for another job he may be aware of whats coming up.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-08-2004, 10:07 PM
He could go 0-10, and be in a van, being chased by the wharton police, and still have a job, becaues he has friends in high places!
Everyone in Bellville knows that!

44INAROW
02-09-2004, 08:28 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
He could go 0-10, and be in a van, being chased by the wharton police, and still have a job, becaues he has friends in high places!
Everyone in Bellville knows that!LOL Oh no, you dont' think that could ever happen lol

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: 44INAROW ]</small>

Pudlugger
02-09-2004, 08:43 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Maybe, he could give someone else a shot to win, with all the talent he has had the past 3 years, he should have won a state title, you can have all the talent in the world, but it takes a good coach to win the big games!
You have as much talent on a team as Bellville had, you make a coach look better than he is!
I give all the credit to the football players for the wins. Its the coach that will give the ball to a good team on the 45 yardline with 40 seconds left so they can score before the half. You have a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone, but you call a short kick?I'm not sure I follow you. Was it a kick-off that was short rather than into the endzone that gave Marlin the ball on the 45 with 40 seconds left in the half or was it a Bellville punt instead of a fieldgoal that gave Marlin the ball? Either way I could see why the decision would be questioned.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Pud, it was the ever so unpopular short high kick-off. With 40 ticks left in the half, you would think you would kick it into to end zone and make them go 80 yards, instead you give the ball to them at about mid-field!
Yes to answer your ? it was a kick off after Bellville when ahead 14-7.
Hey Pud there is a move-in here from La Grange, he is supposed to be a good football player, any news on this guy?

lepfan
02-10-2004, 12:11 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Pud, it was the ever so unpopular short high kick-off. With 40 ticks left in the half, you would think you would kick it into to end zone and make them go 80 yards, instead you give the ball to them at about mid-field!
Hey Pud there is a move-in here from La Grange, he is supposed to be a good football player, any news on this guy?What is his name?

Pudlugger
02-10-2004, 08:37 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Hey Pud there is a move-in here from La Grange, he is supposed to be a good football player, any news on this guy?I haven't heard anything and neither has my son. Who is this player who has crossed over to the dark side? :D

Pudlugger
02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Hey Pud there is a move-in here from La Grange, he is supposed to be a good football player, any news on this guy?Yeah, I remember now. I was listening to the game on the radio in my workshop in the barn that night. I almost fell off my stool when Bellville passed up a field goal for fourth and short inside the 40 (and that was after they didn't give it to Runnels on 3rd and short but passed!). No question Bellville should have won that game. Goerke hit one from 55 yards into the wind so it would have been a chip shot for him. As for the kickoff, man I agree. Just have him kick it out of the endzone and start from the 20. Chancellor was hoping for a turnover and got scored on instead. With Marlin mistakes like that ussually lead to touchdowns. That's how they beat the Leps: three lapses and three tds all on big plays. frown

Bull's-eye
02-11-2004, 08:03 PM
I was not a big fan of the "pop-up" kick-offs. I believe that Bellville really lost the field position battle by using this kick. They could get away with this against most teams, but not the stronger teams. A friend of mind, saw them earlier in the year, said this could end up costing them in the play-offs. I guess he was right.

scotty
02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Marlin had score onle 7 points against Bellville's defense so Huey must have felt as though they could hold them once more. You have to remember they are extremely fast and have a great runback tradition. Just think, had Goeke not been able to get the football into the end zone and one of those burners had gone 90 yards. Think at what you Saturday morning QBs would have said about that.
What do you suppose that Valentine's chances are at the Rockdale job?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know, he must have done good to be one of the 4 out of the 200 who applied for the job. I think the coach from LaMarque has more credentials, but I hope any of the 4 do good for us.

scotty
02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm glad that Rockdale is looking at assistant coaches from real successful programs. So many times a school will overlook a great candidate because they are looking for someone who has had head coaching experience...even if he went 3-15. Coach Valentine is a good coach and has done a good job in Bellville. His chances of getting the job don't seem very good because the other applicants come from higher classifications. How much that means I don't know you need to ask Former Bellville Brahma. But the La Marque assistant is fresh from a state championship and that will surely weigh heavily with the board. I don't see Chancellor leaving Bellville but if he does, Valentine would surely be high on their list to replace him.

BrahmaMom
02-12-2004, 10:06 AM
I can't imagine Chancellor leaving Bellville till at least his two (of three) daughters are out of high school. At which point, #3 will be in high school. Valentine is more likely to leave and his kids are young. I hate to see either of them leave.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Valentine, is a very good coach, and I would hate to see him go, besides the great players Bellville has had the last 3 years, he is a big part of Bellville's football program, the kids seem to like him alot. If the AD gets another job, Valentine, would be good candidates for repacement. There are also some good coach's that have left Bellville that would come back under a new AD. Also other coach's have shown interest if it were to happen.
Good luck to Valentine, but it would be hard to repalace him!
Good luck to Bellville High school!!!!!!

this is the way we ball
02-12-2004, 11:47 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
I give all the credit to the football players for the wins. Its the coach that will give the ball to a good team on the 45 yardline with 40 seconds left so they can score before the half. You have a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone, but you call a short kick?I won't pretend to know the situation at Bellville, but I can tell you this: there are a butt load of schools that have talent and can't even make the playoffs. Coaching a bunch of athletes isn't as easy as you may think. With athletes comes attitude. They all want the ball and they all want to be the star. If your coach is able to win, then my suggestion is that you stop second guessing him and start supporting his decisions. I hope that you don't have a son playing for Bellville. It would be a shame to think that you are bashing his coach at home. Maybe it isn't the coach that is the problem.

Bandera YaYa
02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
44INAROW:

FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Everyone in Bellville knows that!LOL Oh no, you dont' think that could ever happen lolOMG!!! Now THATS funny!!!!! hahahahahahahaha!! :D
Sounds like a Peyton Place....(I'm sure half of the posters on here don't even know what that means! Now I'm really showing my age!! LOL!!)

scotty
02-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Bellville fans, not all of them but the vocal ones, never cease to amaze me. Right now the Brahmas are on a roll where they could be the winningest team of the century in Class 3A and they continue to gripe.
I have a good friend who works in Bellville but had a couple of sons who played on Sealy state championship teams. He tells that he has never been in a town where when the team wins it's all the players and when they lose it's all the coaches faults.
After the 2002 loss to Bandera a Bellville fan, who to the best of my knowledge has never coached a team, said he could have taken that same Brahma team and beaten the Bulldogs by 30 points or better.
That same sort of rhetoric isn't something exclusively aimed toward Chancellor as I can recall Coach Labay having the same sort BS channeled his way.
As long as that attitude continues chances are good that Bellville will never get over the hump and be the eternal bridesmaid.
What's it to me…nothing. I hope they never win a state championship in football because if they did just about everyone in the county would have to leave because we just wouldn't be able to stand all that arrogance.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
I see your point, but I have been around here long enough to know, that I would not post things just for the fun of it. If you were here and you had a son that played here, you would understand. And yes my son did play, and was a starter.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Scotty, you must be a Tiger fan, I can see why you hope Bellville never wins a State championship!

44INAROW
02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scotty:
[QB]Bellville fans, not all of them but the vocal ones, never cease to amaze me. Right now the Brahmas are on a roll where they could be the winningest team of the century in Class 3A and they continue to gripe.

What kind of roll are we referring to?

Bellville22
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
scotty:

What's it to me…nothing. I hope they never win a state championship in football because if they did just about everyone in the county would have to leave because we just wouldn't be able to stand all that arrogance.All the love on this board is causing me to tear up.

Red Blood
02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
FormermerBellvilleBrahma, I'm going to try to be real nice here. Put your personal vendetta away, quit your Chancellor bashing and get with the program. We hava a great thing here in Bellville and it started with our AD/HC and a bunch of well raised kids. It has developed into one of the best programs and coaching staffs in the state of Texas. 7th thru 12th. Our kids have, and will continue to benefit as well as our school and the whole town of Bellville.
Your misinformed, untrue and negative statements the past few days are just astonishing. Do you really believe yourself? You may have 533 post and some people on here buffaloed, but the people who REALLY know you, know better. Futhermore, if you have such a problem with Chancellor's "coaching", why don't you talk to him personally and give him a little of your devine knowledge of the game of Football instead of hiding behind FormerBellvilleBrahma on 3A Down Low. scotty, we are not a barrel of apples here in Bellville, so please don't let a couple of these A _ _ _ _ turn our town sour in your eyes. Unless we are playing each other, I will be pulling for ya'll.

scotty
02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Forty-four-in-a-row, maybe century is a bit long and decade should have been the proper description. However, some Class 3A team will be the winningest one in the century and Bellville is on a roll. In 2000 they were 7-5; 2001, 12-1; 2002, 12-2; 2003, 13-1.
How many teams in 3A do you suppose can duplicate or be better than that. And Former Bellville Brahma's favorite coach Chancellor accomplished all of this. 44-9 isn't bad and how many schools do you suppose would die for such a record?
Red Blood: I agree Bellville is loaded with wonderful people. Some of my best friends are from that city and I love them. Brahma Mom, whom I actually don't know personally, is an example. I watched her son suffer during his senior season on the sideline. Not so much because of the pain from his knee injury but because he wasn't able to be on the field. I can only wish him the very best in life and hopefully he becomes a great star at Rice.
And Red Blood, I only wish that one bad apple wouldn't have such an effect on the whole barrel.

44INAROW
02-12-2004, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scotty:
[QB]Forty-four-in-a-row, maybe century is a bit long and decade should have been the proper description. However, some Class 3A team will be the winningest one in the century and Bellville is on a roll. In 2000 they were 7-5; 2001, 12-1; 2002, 12-2; 2003, 13-1.
Very nice record. Good Luck. I am looking for Cuero to be doing as well if not this year, the 3 years after that for sure. Will be fun to watch.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Red Blood, Im still trying to figure out why I would have a personal vendetta, I have never really got to know the AD, personaly, my son never wanted me to go talk to him and tell him whats on my mind, knowing it might hurt his playing time, so I never did. I might take your advice and go talk to him, and the Administrator at the same time.

Red Blood
02-13-2004, 12:19 PM
FormerBellvilleBrahma, here you go again, trying to buffalo the readers on here again with your untrue and misleading statements. (1) You know what your personal vendetta is and that it has nothing to do with coaching football. (2) You say you MIGHT take my advice and go talk to him. Then prove that your statements (at least the ones on your last post) are not just untrue and misleading statements and go talk to Chancellor and share your devine coaching wisdom with him. You should not have a problem with that since your son???? who you have said, was a starter last year and this year, is no longer playing. Just do it.

Bull's-eye
02-13-2004, 12:59 PM
FormerBellvilleBrahma has a right to voice his oppinion. He was not the only one in the stands complaining about the short kick-offs and some of the questionable play calling. Everybody on this site will not single out players when their team loses, but they will praise them after a win. The coach, usually gets the blame when his team loses. Every coach knows he must deal with criticism. Most of the Bellville fans will agree, that the talent was there to win a championship. FBB wants that state title for his beloved Brahmas.

Hoss
02-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Any one remember the 2 DEEP kicks verses Navasota? One for a TD and the other tackled inside Bellville's 20. You may not like the high short kick, but it does prevent the Big return. 40 seconds, 60 yards,a poor kicker and facing a stout defense, I think it was a good decision. Learn the game! Play the percentages! :mad:

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Hoss ]</small>

Bull's-eye
02-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I also remember some booming kick-offs, that actually cleared the goal posts, that made the opposing teams start from their 20 yard line. The percentages of big kick-off returns are very slim, when you have a kicker like Goeke.

Red Blood
02-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Not against the wind, you don't. FACTS: That night at Kyle, the wind above the stadium was blowing from left to right. On the field, as the flags on the goal poles on BOTH ends of the field indicated, the wind was blowing from right to left. The kick off in question was INTO the wind. The 55 yard FG was WITH the wind.

Bellville22
02-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Red Blood:
Not against the wind, you don't. FACTS: That night at Kyle, the wind above the stadium was blowing from left to right. On the field, as the flags on the goal poles on BOTH ends of the field indicated, the wind was blowing from right to left. The kick off in question was INTO the wind. The 55 yard FG was WITH the wind.Correct, that particular kick-off was into the wind. It would have been very difficult for Goeke to put the ball deep enough to prevent a return. And it would have been impossible for him to kick a 55+ yarder at the end of the game on 4th and 10 as I've heard several people suggest.

And let's understand one more thing. I'm pretty sure that the kick was not designed to only be kicked some 15 or 20 yards. I believe it was designed to be kicked more downfield, toward the corner to either prevent or disrupt a return. I don't think Goeke hit the ball as he planned, and that resulted in the field position.

I was more disappointed with the lack of a pass rush after the kick off, and throughout the drive. Every single person in that stadium probably has a different opinion about how the situation should have been handled. Fact is, Marlin moved the ball 60 yards in less than a minute. Things like that causes A TEAM to lose a game. And tremendous effort on Marlin's part to execute such a drive, things like that allow A TEAM to win a game.

It's over, it was a great ballgame. Marlin probably did some things they didn't want to either, but you're only second guessed after a loss.

bulldog94
02-13-2004, 03:49 PM
First of all, anybody that wants to complain about coaching can do 1 thing: Go get a degree and start coaching. ANybody can sit up in the stands and make comments about what should have been called or where to kick, or any other important decision, but until you actually have been in that situation, you have no room to talk. Another problem I have with armchair quarterbacks is this, most of the fans have never seen the other team play, haven't even seen film,and have no idea about the players on the other team, once again, until you sit in on coaches meetings on the weekends and make a game plan, you have no room to talk.

Bull's-eye
02-13-2004, 05:08 PM
I agree with Bellville22. Maybe the kick was intended to go farther, but I'm still not a fan of the short kick-off. In this particular situation a longer sqib kick is a better call. I think the short kick is more of a surprise play, to catch the receiving team off guard. Every opponent of Bellville scouted and practiced for that kick. They even moved their fast players in position to receive that kick. I dont see many high school teams using this kick and I don't see college and pro teams doing this either.

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Bull's-eye ]</small>

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-13-2004, 07:12 PM
RB, I never said he played this year, or last, I said he played a few years back!
Thanks Bulls eye, for your comments, I thought I was the only bad apple that would post comments on this subject!

Bull's-eye
02-13-2004, 07:43 PM
I went back and looked at the Bellville Times. Marlin started that drive at the 50 yd line. This was a very crucial part of the game. Marlin scores and gets the momentum going into half time.
Hey FBB, I'm not a bad apple and neither are you. I know that you are a die-hard Brahma and you only want what's best for them.