PDA

View Full Version : History: Sweetwater Voleyball

TheDOCTORdre
10-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Sweetwater wins top seed, begins playoffs next week

By RON HOWELL/The Reporter Sports Editor
Tuesday night's regular season-ending match against Snyder at Mustang Gym was the culmination of an amazing run for the 2004 Sweet-water High School volleyball team.

The Lady Mustangs -- who a week earlier had ended a 14-year playoff drought -- wrapped up a district co-championship as they routed the Lady Tigers 25-15, 25-12, 25-21.

And if you think 14 years is a long time, consider this: Sweetwater last won a district cham-pionship 49 years ago, in 1955.

Sweetwater (22-16) and Lamesa finished the regular season with 5-1 records in District 4-3A, but Sweetwater will be the No. 1 seed after winning a coin flip held this morning. The Lady Mustangs will receive a first-round bye before starting the playoffs on either Nov. 5 or 6, accor-ding to athletic director Kent Jackson.

Fourteen seniors played their last game Tues-day at Mustang Gym. Afterward, they and their parents were recognized and honored for all they have meant to the program.

"Four years ago when these ladies were fresh-men, we made the commitment to change this program, and they've done it," said head coach Liz Miller, who was the JV coach back then. "I believed we could do it with this group. They are unique, very unique, and their parents have been very supportive."

All 16 players saw action against Snyder.

Karli Orr had 10 kills, three aces and two blocks; Tara Clemens had nine kills, one kill assist and one dig; Whitney Ferguson had 10 kill assists, one kill, one dig, five service points and one ace; Ashley Brewer had eight kill assists, two digs, one kill, seven service points and three aces; Britnee Daniel had three kills, one dig, two aces and six service points; Tika Smith had four kills; Casey Clark had two digs and one ace; Cia-ra Ortega had one dig and one ace; Cynthia Ser-rano had three aces and two kill assists; and Sa-rah Studdard had two aces. Also getting playing time for Sweetwater were Megan Corley, Casey Crain, Brittany Herm, Heather Miller, Lauren Moore and Jennifer Meyers.

"We've had our ups and downs. But I bet you couldn't find another place in Texas where there are 14 seniors who stuck it out and made the sacrifices to make this all possible," Miller said.

Johnny Moxen
10-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Congratulations Sweetwater upon your victory. I wish that we had volleyball @ Wylie, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Too much b-ball tradition to let something like v-ball get in the way.

VWG
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Nice job. You know winning breeds winners. Hope they keep it going.