PDA

View Full Version : Response To Burnet Basher's

olddawggreen
10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
This is a response I made to some post I have read on another football web site. While this does not really apply to anything I have read on 3ADL this year concerning Burnet, I think the basic message could apply to some fans at many high schools across the state.

Basher, I don't wear rose color glasses. My lenses are very clear. I don't claim to be an expert, just a dad and a fan. I have a pretty good idea what our strengths and weaknesses are, but before I post on here or anywhere else I take into consideration that these are high school football players that were talking about.

They basicly work all year to prepare for the oportunity to put on those uniforms and play the game. Some of them are fortunate to wear that varsity uniform 3 to 4 years, most only 2 and some only 1, but they have worked years for that honor. Some are starters, many are not, some never will be, but are always there, ready and waiting if the oportunity arises and they are needed. These guys usually start their day at 7:00 am and end it some time after some of you are already home for the day, sitting down to your dinner. Why do they do it? For the love of the game, to represent their community and their school. A few might end up with a scholorship, but most will not. Their not pros, they dont get paid.

Burnet has had some really outstanding years recently and has picked up a lot of fans during their winning years that would not normally be there, but win or lose, these guys deserve better that some of the crap Ive seen thrown at them on some of these web sites. What amazes me is that more times than not, these remarks come from those claiming to be their "fans". Its great fun to come on here to discuss games played and games to be played, but I think some people have turned criticism of the team into a sport. When I read some of these post which are basicly bashing the team after a loss or more amazingly, after a win, I have to wonder what kind of a player the person making the post was when they were in high school. It seems that some of us become much better players the longer we're out of high school.

Ive seen these guys work their butts off, yes they lost to San Marcos, it was definatley an eye opening adventure into the world of 5A. And yes they lost to Dripping Springs in a game they obviously weren't prepared for, but I think their accomplisments this year have been much greater than many thought they would be. They came out on top of all of their scrimages, they beat a very good top ranked 3A team, with the exception of the Dripping Springs game, they have beat every 4A team they have played so far. No one ever said this team had a chance to go as far in 4A this year as we did in 3A the last couple of years. We are no longer in 3A and this is a different team. If your really a Burnet fan, just sit back and enjoy the efforts that the guys are making and save the bashing for your favorite college or NFL teams.

cunbed10
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
This is a response I made to some post I have read on another football web site. While this does not really apply to anything I have read on 3ADL this year concerning Burnet, I think the basic message could apply to some fans at many high schools across the state.

Basher, I don't wear rose color glasses. My lenses are very clear. I don't claim to be an expert, just a dad and a fan. I have a pretty good idea what our strengths and weaknesses are, but before I post on here or anywhere else I take into consideration that these are high school football players that were talking about.

They basicly work all year to prepare for the oportunity to put on those uniforms and play the game. Some of them are fortunate to wear that varsity uniform 3 to 4 years, most only 2 and some only 1, but they have worked years for that honor. Some are starters, many are not, some never will be, but are always there, ready and waiting if the oportunity arises and they are needed. These guys usually start their day at 7:00 am and end it some time after some of you are already home for the day, sitting down to your dinner. Why do they do it? For the love of the game, to represent their community and their school. A few might end up with a scholorship, but most will not. Their not pros, they dont get paid.

Burnet has had some really outstanding years recently and has picked up a lot of fans during their winning years that would not normally be there, but win or lose, these guys deserve better that some of the crap Ive seen thrown at them on some of these web sites. What amazes me is that more times than not, these remarks come from those claiming to be their "fans". Its great fun to come on here to discuss games played and games to be played, but I think some people have turned criticism of the team into a sport. When I read some of these post which are basicly bashing the team after a loss or more amazingly, after a win, I have to wonder what kind of a player the person making the post was when they were in high school. It seems that some of us become much better players the longer we're out of high school.

Ive seen these guys work their butts off, yes they lost to San Marcos, it was definatley an eye opening adventure into the world of 5A. And yes they lost to Dripping Springs in a game they obviously weren't prepared for, but I think their accomplisments this year have been much greater than many thought they would be. They came out on top of all of their scrimages, they beat a very good top ranked 3A team, with the exception of the Dripping Springs game, they have beat every 4A team they have played so far. No one ever said this team had a chance to go as far in 4A this year as we did in 3A the last couple of years. We are no longer in 3A and this is a different team. If your really a Burnet fan, just sit back and enjoy the efforts that the guys are making and save the bashing for your favorite college or NFL teams. Leon agrees, winning bring jealousy, so your program is doing well I C.

Bandera YaYa
10-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Well said. Believe me, I hear you! Rebuilding is tough...but each and every player deserves to be cheered and encouraged, no matter what the score or the ranking......and that goes for any player, in any sport, out there giving their all for the team and school......good post. :)

scrub c
10-27-2004, 09:34 AM
who is bashing

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Great job, ODG! Except for that one week a year, I support the Dawgs.

Sinton94
10-27-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm willing to bet those are the same obnoxious Burnet fans that enjoyed dogging everyone else on this site for the past two years and now have nothing better to do. They are not true fans and your better off without them. :rolleyes:

Bullaholic
10-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Olddawg....Every town has em'----you know, "the fair weather boys", who support the team only when they're winning and then are no where to be found when they start losing. Most of them just go away then, and for those that stay in the stands and continue to "bash" the team, you have to take them with a grain of salt. However, if people like this ever go so far as to really "bash" the boys directly where they can hear them---I say let the "faithful" pick them up bodily, carry them to the opposing stands, deposit them there, and tell them they're now where they belong.

Keith7
10-27-2004, 02:56 PM
hey i read the site where that inspired u to make this thread and u had every right to.. good job.. and keep up your support

3afan
10-27-2004, 03:28 PM
ya cant let what someone who you have no idea who they really are get to you - just in one ear and out the other

Bullaholic
10-27-2004, 03:38 PM
3aFan...you said my thoughts on this in a lot fewer words than I did. Good job--short and to the point.

olddawggreen
10-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I hear what your saying guys and I dont really let it get to me, but I think some of these guys forget their talking about highschool kids sometimes. This was just something I have been chewing on for a while and some recent post just kind of brought my thoughts forward. I got it out, I feel better
:D :D

GreenMonster
10-27-2004, 07:08 PM
That Basher is a closet Burnet FAN!!!!!! WooHoo! Take that you basher!:D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Nice post, ODG. I've always admired Burnet and followed them through the playoffs two years ago, all the way from the Sinton game until the State Championship game. A good football team, and even though they don't have the same superstars as last year, they are still proving that they are one of the teams to beat in 4A. Nicely said, Mr. Kuenstler. I hope I spelled your name right....:D

Bobcat
10-28-2004, 09:40 AM
The kids in Burnet throughout their entire program work their butts off. When told something they say yes sir and go do it as hard as they possible can. By all means they have earned the right to represent the tradition that has been built there. No fan can comprehend what kind of dedication, time, and effort the coaches and players put in to attain the level of football they play. Those kids aren't just born great atheletes, they make themselves great atheletes.