PDA

View Full Version : Big Country Music Star Coming To Sinton Sat. Night Nov. 6!

Phil C
10-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I AM TALKING ABOUT JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ! He will be at the Lumberyard BBQ on main street. For you young folks he was to country music at one time what Garth Brooks is today. He has played in Nashville and been on Hee-Haw television show. This is a chance to see and hear a living legent. Tickets are only $12.00 in advance or $15.00 at the door. A great event indeed.

Phil C
10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
ttt

44INAROW
10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I AM TALKING ABOUT JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ! He will be at the Lumberyard BBQ on main street. For you young folks he was to country music at one time what Garth Brooks is today. He has played in Nashville and been on Hee-Haw television show. This is a chance to see and hear a living legent. Tickets are only $12.00 in advance or $15.00 at the door. A great event indeed.

Phil
Did he sing, "Pass me by, if you're only passing through" ?

Phil C
10-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Yes

pirate44
10-26-2004, 03:23 PM
is he being booked into the county jail, or is he in town strictly for the gig?

pirate44
10-26-2004, 03:23 PM
by the way, fav. johnny rodriguez tune, "Corpus Christi Bay"

raider red 2000
10-26-2004, 03:27 PM
didnt robert earl keen sing that song also....same song? or just same title? if it is the same song, i would like to hear johnny's version.

pirate44
10-26-2004, 03:30 PM
im a big fan of robert earl keen, but i think johnny's version of the same song is much better

Gobbler Fan
10-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
is he being booked into the county jail, or is he in town strictly for the gig?

LOL now that was funny

3afan
10-26-2004, 04:05 PM
well he cant be that BIG if he's playing at the Lumberyard BBQ !!!

Bull's-eye
10-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Didn't he steal a goat?

Phil C
10-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Hee-Haw was a long time running Country Music tv series that had lots of country humor and country music singing. It was hosted by Roy Clark and Buck Owens. It had many big country music guest stars besides besides Johnny Rodriguez which include Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynet, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., Loretta Lynn, Charlie Pride and Merl Haggard to name a few. Even Ray Charles enjoyed the show and appeared on it. A great series indeed.

pirate44
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hee-Haw was a long time running Country Music tv series that had lots of country humor and country music singing. It was hosted by Roy Clark and Buck Owens. It had many big country music guest stars besides besides Johnny Rodriguez which include Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynet, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., Loretta Lynn, Charlie Pride and Merl Haggard to name a few. Even Ray Charles enjoyed the show and appeared on it. A great series indeed.

c'mon phil c, you know the best part were the well endowed, scantilly clad women

big daddy russ
10-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
didnt robert earl keen sing that song also....same song? or just same title? if it is the same song, i would like to hear johnny's version.
It is... Johnny Rodriguez was the original singer. He's from Corpus.

sinton66
10-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Johnny Rodriquez was from Sabinal, Texas. The only famous people I know of actually from Corpus are Lou Diamond Phillips, Selena, and Farrah Fawcett.

big daddy russ
10-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Johnny Rodriquez was from Sabinal, Texas. The only famous people I know of actually from Corpus are Lou Diamond Phillips, Selena, and Farrah Fawcett.
...and don't forget HOFer Ray Berry of the Colts... but Rodriguez lived in Corpus for a stretch of time. Him and Corpus native Freddy Fender are old buddies.

Vrabird
10-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Robert Earl Keen wrote the song," Corpus Christi Bay". Both have recorded it.

big daddy russ
10-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Vrabird
Robert Earl Keen wrote the song," Corpus Christi Bay". Both have recorded it.
My bad... I thought he wrote it.

PhiI C
10-26-2004, 07:44 PM
The only thing is that there may be a volleyball playoff with the Lady Pirates that night and if there is I must go to the volleyball game.

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Sorry, would have to strongly disagree with you on your labeling him a "Big Country Music Star". The only "Big" in his life has been Big, Bad, choices.....he COULD have been a Big Country Music Star.

Ranger354
10-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Yea he stole a goat.

I remember going to one of his concerts at the Beeville Collisium. We met some girls and were taking them to breakfast when one of my buddies got thrown in jail for public intoxication. What a night of fun. Ended up getting him out about 3 that morning after a phone call to Bob Horne (sheriff).

That was the good old days..........................

If it wasn't opening weekend of deer season I would be there!

Phil,
You eat'n at the lumberyard since the management changed? Any better?

The man that played Selena's dad in the movie is from CC also I think. He was also in Stand and Deliver. Can't remember his name.

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Heck, stealing the goat proved to be a good thing!! LOL!! NO, I'm talking about his alcohol and drug problems that eventually did him in, at the peak of his "stardom". Then there was that other BIG brush with the law...when he went on trial for murder. Yes, he was found not guilty by reason of self defense. I hope he has learned something from his mistakes.

PPHSfan
10-26-2004, 10:10 PM
The man that played Selena's dad in the movie is from CC also I think. He was also in Stand and Deliver. Can't remember his name. [/B]

Edward James Olmos, I don't think was from CC.

I liked him when he played the Crockett and Tubb's captain on the 80's hit tv show..Miami Vice.:)

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Stank and Deliver is one of my all time fav's!!! He is great in that movie!!!

big daddy russ
10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
I just looked it up... he's from LA.