PDA

View Full Version : State Farm Lone Star Showdown continues!

Phil C
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
This is the competition between the various sports between UT and Texas A&M. This is the first year it has been implemented. There are 19 available points and whoever gets 10 points wins (or over 9.5 points). If the two teams tie at 9.5 this year then Texas would retain the championship since Texas would have won last year. The rules state that in case of tie the prior year winner gets the championship. The competition begins again this Saturday with the Men and Women Cross Country Big 12 Championship in Kansas. Each of those sports are worth one point. As far as the State Farm Lone Star Showdown is concerned the winner is the one who places higher in each meet. As of right now Texas A&M is leading 1.5 to 0. It is noted that this early Aggie lead was expected.

Phil C
10-26-2004, 01:28 PM
ttt

Phil C
10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't know about the two teams' cross country teams. I think last year A&M was pretty good so don't be surprised if the Aggies get both of the points. We will see.

AggieJohn
10-26-2004, 03:14 PM
i think our team is supposed to be better than texas this year from what i heard..but of course that is all speculation

sahen
10-26-2004, 04:18 PM
how come the only time i hear about this is on this bored? sometimes i wonder if this showdown is a bigger deal to Phil C than anyone else in Texas?....no offense to u Phil, but just wondering...

Phil C
10-26-2004, 04:20 PM
No offense take sahen but I can't answer the question because I don't know.

Phil C
10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
This competition is year long. It started on September 10th and may not be completely decided till May 22 of 2005.

Phil C
10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I forgot to mention it but as of today's date (Oct. 26, 2004) the Aggies need 8.5 points to win and Texas 10 points. OK Texas would get the tie and keep the cup with 9.5 points due to the tie breaker they use but let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

sahen
10-26-2004, 05:53 PM
if baseball, softball and basketball (both women and mens) count then UT will prolly get them...though baseball and softball will be iffy, though i think UT's teams are a little better than A&Ms...

PhiI C
10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
You never know sahen. I knew A&M had a good volleyball team but I didn't think they were as good as Texas yet they beat Texas in college station costing Texas a valuable 1/2 point. You never know in these close games.

KTJ
10-26-2004, 10:39 PM
A&M will lose when they come to play UT at Gregory. If we took Nebraska to 5 close games, then I think we can dominate Aggy.

Also, Cat is back for the softball team. And from the friends I have on the softball team, they want a NC this year and feel they can get there.

PhiI C
10-26-2004, 10:50 PM
KTJ who are your friends on the softball team?. If it is too private I understand. Glad you are back. Do you live on campus or off? I agree with you that with CAT back and the great recruits they have plus returnning players from last year the softball team should be awesome. Can't wait for CAT to be wearing orange again.

texasjeremy
10-27-2004, 12:59 AM
At least everyone in the Big 12 can roll over the aggies in basketball, they are beyond terrible.

Phil C
10-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Which one's texas? The Men or Women's Basketball teams?

Phil C
10-27-2004, 09:49 AM
From looking at past results I expect the Lady Aggies to get the point in Cross Country. I don't know much about the two Men's teams in Cross Country but from what I have heard the Aggies will probably get that point. So after this weekend it will probably be the Aggies 3.5 to the Horns 0. But don't dispair Texas! Our best sports haven't come up yet so the early Aggie lead is not a major surprise.

texasjeremy
10-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Which one's texas? The Men or Women's Basketball teams?

Both of them. Last year in the mens side, Baylor went 2-0 against A&M even though BU only had 5 scholarship players.

Its going to be an exciting womens race this year, Baylor and Texas are head and shoulders above the rest, both will have a shot to win the national title this year. Same can be said about baseball too.

Seriously, Texas should always dominate this lonestar shootout thing. Last year in the 17 games between Baylor and A&M, Baylor won overall 12-5.

sahen
10-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Both of them. Last year in the mens side, Baylor went 2-0 against A&M even though BU only had 5 scholarship players.

Its going to be an exciting womens race this year, Baylor and Texas are head and shoulders above the rest, both will have a shot to win the national title this year. Same can be said about baseball too.

Seriously, Texas should always dominate this lonestar shootout thing. Last year in the 17 games between Baylor and A&M, Baylor won overall 12-5.

unfortunately the only sport people care about is one of those 5 losses...well except for Phil C..he cares about all sports....and baylor fans, we have to care about all sports or we would be in depression...

texasjeremy
10-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sahen
unfortunately the only sport people care about is one of those 5 losses...well except for Phil C..he cares about all sports....and baylor fans, we have to care about all sports or we would be in depression...

I think people care about basketball and baseball.