PDA

View Full Version : Just sharing various Virus Protection, with friends

Old Cardinal
10-03-2003, 12:42 PM
I just wanted to share some ideas and sources on Virus protection---I have Norton Virus protection and it's great, but it sometimes fails on the newest of the Viruses. You can add "AVG 6.0" Anti-virus protection for FREE. I personally set the kick-on time for 1:00 am for AVG 6.0 and Norton for 5:00 am. In addition, I use "Panda Active Scan", also FREE, randomly. Maybe Panda can be set up to scan daily, I did not try to set that up...Also, there is a nifty Pop-UP Stopper, called "Free Surfer MK II", that's FREE, boy does that help!

Share with us your Virus Protection, etc: findings; expecially the free stuff out there..

Compudyne
10-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the information. I wish I was smart enough to use it.

SintonFan
10-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks Old Card.
I love Spy Bot! It's free and catches all the stuff Ad-aware won't. I use the free version of pop-up stopper from panicware.com. Then of course a neccesity for all broadband users. You got to have a firewall. Zone alarm is great once you get it all set up. If your using dial-up don't install a firewall, you reaaly don't need it.

Old Cardinal
10-03-2003, 12:56 PM
To Comp: I don't know if you are joking or not; however, if you use, Google search engine, and navigate to the things that I have in presented: its pretty self-explanatory. Remember, I am an ole- 8 track system(or older), trying to operate in a CD/DVD world! I am sure there are those with 10 times the computer savvy that I have, but this thread was to inform others, of some free stuff; that maybe they did not know about.

<small>[ October 03, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Rocksolid
10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
I sure hope my computer does'nt catch a adf;sklh;gha;hsdjf;klashdgha;lskdjf;jas;djf;asdhg; haklsjd;fashdg ahgvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuu sssssssssssss. Never mind I thinkl my computerg isy OKT.

SintonFan
10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Old Card, what kind of scanner is Panda? I never heard of it.

SADAWG
10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
I use Norton Internet Security. Everything's included - firewall, popup blocker, spam killer, and virus scanner. I also use Spybot. With cable you need it all - my IP address gets pinged a lot. My next upgrade will be a router - adds an additional layer of protection with a hardware firewall.

One of my co-workers didn't believe in firewalls until his ISP shut him down. He had been hacked and his IP was being used to send out tons of spam. He's now a believer after it took him several days to clean up all the little nastys in his computer and get his connection back. He set up Zone Alarm and it logged around 13,000 pings in the first 2 days.

BIGRED001
10-03-2003, 02:45 PM
You also need to be aware of they have what's called social engineering out there, that is harmful. It basically is setup to where the user sabotages his own computer. I will explain. Someone will send an email stating that a certain file if found on your computer is corrupt. They will give you directions how to get into your java script files. It will say if you see this particular file with a bear next to the file, that this is a corrupt file, and show you how to delete it. However, it's a .exe file that you are deleting. So basically while your trying to help yourself out your really doing harm to your computer. I work for the government and we had someone send it to us. Luckily we have many backstops to prevent attacks and fictious emails. We ran it through the experts to see the validity of it, and found out what exactly it was. Hope this helps some of you out. If it's not something that is official from Microsoft or a reputable company.....don't do it.

Old Cardinal
10-04-2003, 08:49 PM
To SintonFan, Just go to "Panda Active Scan", or "Panda Softwear", and navigate around on the site-I think that all your questions will be answered....the Norton package is very good; however, it was not enough protection at one point, for some of the advanced self-propagating viruses-- and I had to have a real expert to clear my computer. The others mentioned, will not afford the total protection needed in advanced virus circumstances. Norton Systemworks, plus these others, seem to have a positive synergistic effect somehow.

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
10-05-2003, 05:53 AM
I love my Norton anti virus. It is setup to receive live updates when they are sent out. I,also, have it setup to do a complete scan every week. Pop up stopper was a good program and I liked it, but it interfered with my Norton and Outlook Express. It would freeze up my computer sometimes when I would launch my mail program.

Old Cardinal
10-05-2003, 08:09 PM
To 76 Mom, I had nothing but total confidence in the Norton arsenal; however, if you get the new ones,(VIRSUS')-- it failed for me. Also, the Freesurfer popup protection seems quite compatable for all those, I know, using it in conjunction with Norton protection....I hope you don't get invaded, it's a real problem...

<small>[ October 05, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>