PDA

View Full Version : Florida coach Ron Zook has been fired...

KTJ
10-25-2004, 10:02 AM
and the entire staff let go.

www.espn.com

JasperDog94
10-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Is there a point in doing this now? They will still coach the rest of the season so why fire them now?

KTJ
10-25-2004, 10:16 AM
This was a good and bad move by UF.

Good in the sense that Zook is now gone so they can return to glory. Bad in the sense that you fired the HC and entire staff midway through the season. Why would you do that? UF could possibly have a losing season this year.

JasperDog94
10-25-2004, 10:23 AM
The only reason that I can see is that it might help with recruiting. Although I would think they would have to name a new head coach pretty soon to have a shot at a good recruiting class for next year.

AggieJohn
10-25-2004, 10:41 AM
some times you have to cut your losses

Hupernikomen
10-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Is there a point in doing this now? They will still coach the rest of the season so why fire them now?

I think they do this so they can openly begin to court his successor. Can't let them go now because they need someone to man the practices and sidelines to finish the season. Not going to cut them lose and payoff their contracts and have to replace them now with whoever and have to pay them too.

Keith7
10-25-2004, 12:25 PM
could steve spurrier come back and coach???

GreenMonster
10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
My thoughts exactly Keith. I think they already know who will be the next Gator coach. Steve Spurrier.

Bulldog_12
10-25-2004, 12:32 PM
That would be great for UF, but Im sure he is having too much fun golfing all the time. But maybe, im sure he misses it a little. If they could offer enough money he might.

FbCoachB40
10-25-2004, 12:33 PM
i know that Spurrier is still looking for a job

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 12:37 PM
If Spurrier takes the UF job, will he re-hire Zook and his staff? They were Spurrier's before he went to the NFL (Not For Long), were'nt they?

KTJ
10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Spurrier won't go back. Why would he?

Urban Meyer is at the top of their list.

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, he has won a National Championship, or two, at UF, I'm sure they'd welcome him back with open arms. Where else is he going to go? Has he even interviewed anywhere?

KTJ
10-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Spurrier won't go back because he has too much to live up to at UF and he would have to fix a program that is below mediocre. Of course they'd welcome him back. But realistically, even UF fans are saying that he is a long shot and it most likely won't happen.

Besides, Spurrier hates recruiting--which sucks for UT folks who want him in Austin as our HC.

However, Spurrier's name has been linked to the UW job. Why? I have no clue. Look for Spurrier to be somewhere next year where he can play golf a lot and retire with ease.

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
UW? Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming????

Keith7
10-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I dont see why spurrier wouldnt go back to Florida, they have the talent and everyone has said that if Zook did anything right while he was there, it was in recruiting.. so if spurrier would go back now he would just have to coach, and just having him back at florida would help with attracting recruits in the future

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Lots of golf in the Gainesville area...lots of talent on the UF team, sounds like sour grapes to me KTJ!

KTJ
10-25-2004, 01:09 PM
UW = Wasington

Why would I have "sour grapes"? I have no connections to UF, except a friend that went there. And if the UF team had lots of talent on there right now, then why did they lose to M-State? Right now, Highland Park could beat UF. They are in poor, poor shape. Besides, Foley (the UF AD) and Spurrier didn't get along too well as it was. Nonetheless, I would imagine he is still on their list, albeit a long shot.

And Keith, recruits just don't "roll" into your program. Even Stoops has to get out there to campaign sometimes as well.

But as I said earlier, Urban Meyer of Utah--ya know, Utah, that one team that beat....well, we all know who they beat. :D

Also, Rick Neuhisel has been linked to the UF job as well. Look for Petrino at Louisville to be on the list as well as Tedford at Califonia and Bob Stoops at OU.

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Stoops is busy recruiting Texas boys that he can mold into better players and win national championships with...what does Mack Brown do besides sell the TU program to Texas kids, and kids that OU doesn't want?

Keith7
10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

And Keith, recruits just don't "roll" into your program. Even Stoops has to get out there to campaign sometimes as well.

coaching prestege accounts for some recruiting...

how else would Pilot Point be able to recruit ??

KTJ
10-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Stoops is busy recruiting Texas boys that he can mold into better players and win national championships with...what does Mack Brown do besides sell the TU program to Texas kids, and kids that OU doesn't want?

Just once I thought an Aggy would keep up with this post in an intelligent manner. But as usual, you lived up to expectations by acting stupid and turned this into a "we are better than Texas" thread when that has nothing to do with this post at all.

If anyone else would care to either A) Discuss this further or B.) Apologize for said poster's actions, please fell free to continue discussing.

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 01:22 PM
[But as I said earlier, Urban Meyer of Utah--ya know, Utah, that one team that beat....well, we all know who they beat. :D

Who started it?

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
...But as I said earlier, Urban Meyer of Utah--ya know, Utah, that one team that beat....well, we all know who they beat. :D

...Who started it?

JasperDog94
10-25-2004, 02:20 PM
TU (sigh):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
:kiss:

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 02:38 PM
It would be smart to go to a school that isn't expecting an immediate turnaround. Washington has talent and tradition (they won a NC about a decade ago), won't expect anything next year, and is fertile for recruiting. He'd be a good fit thiere and wouldn't feel like he's "crawling" back to Gainesville after getting his butt handed to him in the League. Plus he could hire back his old buddy Zook to head up the defense. He was always good at coaching one side of the ball.

JasperDog94
10-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Good point.

Keith7
10-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Lots of golf in the Gainesville area...lots of talent on the UF team, sounds like sour grapes to me KTJ!

i'm not sure about that.. Gainesville only has a municaple golf course that is located right next to the air port.. not exactly an ideal place for a golf course

Port_town_texas
10-25-2004, 03:05 PM
good stuff. I didn't like Zook anyway and i'm a Longhorn/ (REGGIE! REGGIE! fan).

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Longhorn/Reggie??? What in the hell are you talking about?

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 03:10 PM
I assumed that there were nice courses all over FL....but we all know what assumptions can do?

KTJ
10-25-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't see him going into the Pac 10. He's an SEC/ACC/Big 12 kinda guy. I wouldn't be surprised, should he come back to college, if he ended up at North Carolina.

Port_town_texas
10-25-2004, 03:12 PM
UT--LONGHORNS. Reggie----A&M...... sorry if i confused you...LOL!!:rolleyes:

Keith7
10-25-2004, 03:13 PM
I assumed that there were nice courses all over FL....but we all know what assumptions can do?

ooh florida.. i thought u were talking about mine and KTJ's Gainesville

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 03:17 PM
smarta$$!!! I also heard NC was a possibility...and I know they have great golf courses there, word 2 ya mutha!

handNthedirt
10-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Port...are you really a fan of both?

scrub c
10-26-2004, 09:20 AM
i wonder if zook will go the that frat house and beat up the frat-rats now....

Port_town_texas
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
smarta$$!!! I also heard NC was a possibility...and I know they have great golf courses there, word 2 ya mutha!

I root 4 Texas but i've been knowing Reggie since High School. I graduated with his cousin down at S.F.A.----2001.

handNthedirt
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Port_town_texas
I root 4 Texas but i've been knowing Reggie since High School. I graduated with his cousin down at S.F.A.----2001.

...that makes much more sense than your original post when you were rooting for both without an explanation, thanks for explaining!

Port_town_texas
10-26-2004, 12:59 PM
yep.