PDA

View Full Version : Sports coverage in your town

Hawks83
10-25-2004, 08:32 AM
What kind of sports coverage do you get in your town - newspaper, TV, radio?

Cameronbystander
10-25-2004, 08:55 AM
An example of Cameron's from the radio station.

http://www.kmil.com/Football-04/Yoe-giddings.htm

IHStangFan
10-25-2004, 09:13 AM
as far as i know...we just have the papers, and the Friday night Blitz.

www.caller.com
www.aransaspassprogress.com
(click on the sports page, they cover both Ingleside and Aransas Pass)

Hawks83
10-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
as far as i know...we just have the papers, and the Friday night Blitz.

www.caller.com
www.aransaspassprogress.com
(click on the sports page, they cover both Ingleside and Aransas Pass)

Are you pleased with the coverage your team gets?

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Hawks83
Are you pleased with the coverage your team gets?
Not anymore. It's gone downhill the past couple of years.:D :D :D

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Hawks, you guys aren't really close to anything huh? Are the Laredo TV stations close enough to get to you? I remember when I was with Channel 10 out of Corpus I got to see you play in Fal and that was a long stretch. Barely got back in time.

IHStangFan
10-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Are you pleased with the coverage your team gets? well the Index and the Progress have gone to hell in a handbasket since my fav. sports writer left there....and for your team to get put into the Callertimes, they have to be decent...or you dont get mentioned....they have just recently started running stories on Ingleside. and the Blitz tv show is pretty decent and covers the whole south Texas area pretty well. so...Russ..you think you'd ever write for the Progress or Index again? :p

setex
10-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Some hate some love it.

Port Arthur News (http://www.panews.com/sports/)

Some hate some love it

Friday Night Experience (http://www.fridaynightexperience.com/)

Hawks83
10-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hawks, you guys aren't really close to anything huh? Are the Laredo TV stations close enough to get to you? I remember when I was with Channel 10 out of Corpus I got to see you play in Fal and that was a long stretch. Barely got back in time.

Iowa Park is in North Texas, closest to Wichita Falls. Doubt we get any coverage in Laredo.

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Iowa Park is in North Texas, closest to Wichita Falls. Doubt we get any coverage in Laredo.
LOL... sorry, I thought you were from Zapata. My bad.

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
well the Index and the Progress have gone to hell in a handbasket since my fav. sports writer left there....and for your team to get put into the Callertimes, they have to be decent...or you dont get mentioned....they have just recently started running stories on Ingleside. and the Blitz tv show is pretty decent and covers the whole south Texas area pretty well. so...Russ..you think you'd ever write for the Progress or Index again? :p
I'm actually considering doing a complimentary freelance for the Index this week. I'll get to sit up in the press box, I'll get into the game free, get to write about the biggest game Ingleside's played in years, etc. If I can guarantee that I'll be down there I'll do it.

VWG
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
I've read many small town papers and one thing rings true in all of them... homer sports pages. The home team can get drilled and outplayed all night but the headlines and story will read like they played their little hearts out and just couldn't get the job done. Blah, Blah, Blah... how about calling out the mistakes on offense/defense... bad playcalling, etc...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
1230 AM sports radio show in the mornings is making its game of the week Sinton vs Ingleside . First game of the week in 3a usually 5a and 4a

CHSBaseball07
10-25-2004, 08:35 PM
KBTX 3 Always gives Highlights.......on the news.....but thats IT!

Boosty_Hondo
10-25-2004, 08:40 PM
hondo gets all from SA

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I've read many small town papers and one thing rings true in all of them... homer sports pages. The home team can get drilled and outplayed all night but the headlines and story will read like they played their little hearts out and just couldn't get the job done. Blah, Blah, Blah... how about calling out the mistakes on offense/defense... bad playcalling, etc...
Yeah, it sucks but you have to write it to please the audience with a small town paper. It's a whole lot of public relations BS, because if you piss off one key member of that town the rest will soon follow, and that hurts the paper considerably.
What's the big thing that gets everyone riled up and calling in? The sports section, of course. That's why I got out of it.

LHMom
10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
LH has two small town papers that are both published on Thursday. We usually get some coverage in the Williamson County Sun, published on Wednesdays. If we're winning, we get pretty good coverage in the Austin American Statesman. They feature high school ball on Tues, Thur, Fri & Sat.

Last year we had broadcast on the internet, but that's no longer available. My family has sure missed it.

Oh- and once we get to the play-offs, there's a radio station out of Marble Falls (I think) that sometimes has our games on.

shankbear
10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Orange has a fishwrap called The Orange Leader. Additionally, there is an extremely bad little b*tt wipe called The Penny Record/County Record.

Good local....very local AM coverage on KOGT. Stream them at www.kogt.com

AP Panther Fan
10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Yeah, it sucks but you have to write it to please the audience with a small town paper. It's a whole lot of public relations BS, because if you piss off one key member of that town the rest will soon follow, and that hurts the paper considerably.
What's the big thing that gets everyone riled up and calling in? The sports section, of course. That's why I got out of it.

You know Russ, the Rockport Herald is really doing a fine job reporting all the area games. I think they cover Ingleside, AP, GP and Rockport ... maybe more. The owner of that paper and half of his staff are out traveling every Friday night.

The Herald got a bad rep many years ago and has now turned it around. :clap:

big daddy russ
10-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
You know Russ, the Rockport Herald is really doing a fine job reporting all the area games. I think they cover Ingleside, AP, GP and Rockport ... maybe more. The owner of that paper and half of his staff are out traveling every Friday night.

The Herald got a bad rep many years ago and has now turned it around. :clap:
Yeah, Kerry works his butt off over there and does a great job getting around, but he tends to rub some people the wrong way. I think (not sure, though) that's what happened over there back when they had that rep. But he really does do a great job with that paper, especially considering that he's just about the only one in that sports department and he's covering 132 different schools.;) It's good to hear that those kids are getting the coverage they deserve.

NSUTrumpet08
10-26-2004, 11:56 AM
I know Jasper gets coverage from the Jasper Newsboy and the Beaumont Enterprise.

Not so much on radio...maybe because i haven't heard KJAS or KTXJ in a while...someone add to this.

TV - KFDM, KBMT, and KBTV have all their friday night football reports...

KFDM 6 - Friday Night Tailgate Party

GreenMonster
10-26-2004, 12:08 PM
We have excellent local coverage.;)

Keith7
10-26-2004, 12:09 PM
our radio station used to do it but it got sold and after tht they quit.. but we do have www.goredsports.com
and a newspaper

cdlvj
10-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
An example of Cameron's from the radio station.

http://www.kmil.com/Football-04/Yoe-giddings.htm

I will say that this site is absolutely superb.

spiveyrat
10-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
Orange has a fishwrap called The Orange Leader. [/url]

LOL!!! Fishwrap... that's classic! :D