PDA

View Full Version : Sealy vs Rice

mike_jones_2k3
10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I think that the raiders will out play the tigers and dance into the playoffs friday night in Sealy, Texas.

:D :D :D

Rice 42
Sealy 6

GUT
10-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Get REAL ! Tigers do lose at HOME!!!!!!! Tradition!!!!!!!!!!

BrahmaMom
10-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Go Sealy Tigers!! Though I ussually cheer for the Raiders, I have got to stand behind the other Austin County team!

Balboa
10-25-2004, 08:46 AM
The Radiers will win but not by 36

CheerMom
10-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey GUT, you do lose at home. You lost to Cuero.

Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

scrub c
10-25-2004, 01:13 PM
that is what he said...

CheerMom
10-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
that is what he said...

Well, if that is what he meant, than I guess losing at home for them is a tradition.

rhs78
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
this will be a very good game. rice is playing well right now. offense has got to stop the turnovers and they will be allright. sealy has a good defense but offense has not scored alot. rice-21 sealy-10

Flourhead
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
running the ball will be tough because sealy puts about 9 people in the box but if you open up with a balanced attack then its smooth sailing

GUT
10-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Rice has no balance on offense. It's run HUFFMAN to the right & run HUFFMAN to the left. He wont beat us someone else will have too, but they dont have anybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our defense is the best in the district & we have the best punter in the State!

Raider4ever
10-25-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm wondering will the best punter in state be able to do anything? Also it's not something to really brag about when you have the best punter in state, because all that means is your giving up the ball because your offense can not move. And you may be able to hold Charles for a little while but I'll be waiting for this coming friday night when I will Post about Charles running over 100+ yards. Also you might have the best defense in the distirct (according to you) but all defenses get tired if there offense can not take up time and put points on the bored.

Raiders by 21

G'Luck Raiders and G'Luck Tigers, play injury free game!

neck_06
10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by GUT
Rice has no balance on offense. It's run HUFFMAN to the right & run HUFFMAN to the left. He wont beat us someone else will have too, but they dont have anybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our defense is the best in the district &we have the best punter in the State!

I'm sure that punter will be the difference in the game. :rolleyes:

Raider Nurse
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't think Rice will "dance" into anything. We are taking Sealy very seriously. We can certainly win, though! Just watch the turnovers and play Raider ball and Rice will be okay!!! Go Rice and stay injury free!!!!! BEAT THOSE TIGERS!!!!!

Specklebelly
10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
One thing is guaranteed going into this game...it will be close. Sealy is too proud, too tough and too well coached to come out and roll over. Rice on the other hand has looked very sharp since the Yoakum debacle in the 4th quarter. I feel both teams are viewing this as a must win. Rice locks up the playoffs with a win. I can assure they don’t want to have to rely on beating a Bellville team that has given them fits the last two years to try to get in. Sealy on the other hand gives themselves a few more ways to get in the playoffs with a win.

Both teams come in with a top-notch defense that gives up just under 170 yards a game. Their defensive styles are very different though. From what I’ve seen, Sealy whips you up front, and tries to overpower teams. The Raiders use their speed to just blow by blockers and fly to the ball. Defensively I see these teams as a push.

Offensively is where these teams really differ. Sealy has gotten over 24 points twice this year and that was on Hempstead and Columbus, the doormats of 20-AAA. The Raiders on the other hand have scored under 24 once this year, in their lone loss. They have been over 40 every game since.

Sealy is going to have to get cute on offense to score points, much like they did the last time they beat the Raiders in Sealy. I dont see them having much success on the ground. They are going to throw the ball and throw it a lot. They are going to try to run misdirection and trick plays to catch Rice over pursuing. They will have a sound game plan on offense and I see Faldyn going deep in the playbook once or twice.

Rice is just going to line up and run it at you. Get ready, here they come. I feel they are going to need to get to the outside to beat Sealy on the ground. Going up the middle will be tough. I feel this will be the biggest test for our line yet. They got an A+ for their effort against Navasota and will need another stellar game up front from the men in the trenches. I read someone refer them to a one man offense. You will see they have more than that one man, but I can tell you that you will see a lot of the one you refer to and you better be ready because that's one load of a man.

I give the Raiders the edge due to their offensive firepower. Ill take the Raiders by 4 in a low scoring game, something like 21-17.

CheerMom
10-26-2004, 08:39 AM
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Go Raiders!!!

scrub c
10-26-2004, 09:25 AM
rice gets off in this one,
31-14

Sittin' Fastball
10-26-2004, 09:27 AM
170 pts a game!!!!! man !!!!!

BULLRUSH
10-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by GUT
Rice has no balance on offense. It's run HUFFMAN to the right & run HUFFMAN to the left. He wont beat us someone else will have too, but they dont have anybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our defense is the best in the district & we have the best punter in the State!

Are you from Rice and just trying to get some good bulletin board material or what? I doubt there is anyone in Sealy that thinks that Huffman is the only threat. But Sealy does have a pretty good punter.

28OptionOn2
10-26-2004, 09:50 AM
You're right Bullrush, that does sounds like bulletin board material, and Rice does have more than one weapon. Their team is pretty stacked, and I was impressed with their win over Navasota.

By saying "they do have a good punter," I'm assuming that you're talking about Sealy. That Brantly kid is pretty impressive. Raider4ever, having a good punter doesn't mean that your offense isn't very good. It means that your special teams are good, and good special teams can make all the difference in the world, especially in a match-up like this. I can't wait to see Brantly punt up in College Station. He has the potential to make a big difference for the Aggies.

As for this week's game, I'm not very good at making predictions, but I will predict that this will be an excellent game to attend. This is a match-up of two pretty darn good football teams, and I can't wait to see it. Hopefully both teams can play a clean, injury-free game so that they are able represent their district well in the play-offs (assuming, of course, that both teams make the play-offs).

fullhouse
10-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Ditto here! Two GREAT teams with LOTS of talented players on both teams. It's always exciting when these two teams match up. Here's to an injury-free game :D
Now get out there and HIT somebody TIGERS!!!!!!;)

BULLRUSH
10-26-2004, 10:29 AM
hey on2, I guess that didn't make sense the way I worded it. Yes, I was talking about Sealy. I've been seeing him for four years. That kid has got a heck of a foot, leg, whatever. There aren't too many hs punters that turn it over as often as he does. Thanks for the post.

28OptionOn2
10-26-2004, 10:48 AM
No problem Bull. It's always nice to be able to read quality posts instead of some of the garbage on here. You're right about not too many hs punters have the ability to boot the ball the way he does. He's also an excellent player. I have seen him at QB and TE, and he's impressed me there too. I've made it to a few Sealy games over the years, and I remember seeing Brantly when he was a freshman. After my first time seeing him punt, I couldn't believe that he was just a freshman. I wonder if anyone on here knows his stats this year. How many has he put inside the 10? the 20? average? etc. I'm hoping he can go to A&M and follow in Lechler's footsteps, and then on to the NFL, if that's what he's hoping to do after college.

Anyways, enough about that, can't wait until Friday!

rhs78
10-26-2004, 01:30 PM
here are the two teams stats thru 7-games. sealy offense-1948 total yards/243.5/game. rice offense,2505 total yards/311.1/game. sealy defense-1163yards-166.14yd/game(762rush,401pass) rice defense-1177yards-169.14yd/game(646rush,531pass)... should be a very close game according to stats,but stats don't allways win. thaught this might keep some of the trash talking down

Balboa
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Stats don't matter sure somebody looks good on paper and then can choke in the big games. Look at Manor who was supposed to be #1 in the state and might not even get out of district. I can't wait till Friday night to see which sealy team shows up to play. The Raiders will be ready and I mean all 11 players not just Huffman.

rhs78
10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
balboa: i know stats do not matter. i was just posting them for everyone's info. i'm on your side. i think rice will come to play with all players ready for the battle... the stats are there for comparision that's all. good luck and injury free for both teams

fullhouse
10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by BULLRUSH
hey on2, I guess that didn't make sense the way I worded it. Yes, I was talking about Sealy. I've been seeing him for four years. That kid has got a heck of a foot, leg, whatever. There aren't too many hs punters that turn it over as often as he does. Thanks for the post. We also have a coach that can punt the ball pretty far. He's gotten pretty good over the years while putting in the extra hours after practice working with Brantly.

Bellville22
10-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Game of the Week in D20 this week. A win for Rice puts them in the playoffs, and keeps them on the path to the District Championship. A win for Sealy throws them right in the thick of the playoff picture.

Sealy's D matches up with Huffman and Rice's power running game as well as anyone in the district. They have always been tough against the run, and take pride in stopping it, and this week, as well as next week vs. Navasota, will be a huge test for that D. No secret what Rice's gameplan is. Charles Huffman will touch it 25-30 times and pound the ball down the field. Sealy is vulnerable to the pass, so if Rice can mix in some throws and catch Sealy stacking the box, they could be very successful. If Rice hangs on to the ball, it will be difficult for anyone to stop them. I think if the offense puts up 21-24 points, they will win this game.

Sealy's D has been strong all year, but the offense just can't seem to get it together. They'll have their hands full this week against a very tough Rice front. I don't see them being able to score more than 14 or 17 points, unless they capitalize on some turnovers or big special teams plays.

For Sealy to win, Brantley needs to have a big game, they need to pin Rice as deep as possible and make them drive the field. Sealy absolutely can't afford to turn the ball over.

Sealy's going to be fired up, and the home field will help, but I just don't see them having enough offense to help a defense that I expect to play well...

Rice Cons. 22
Sealy 14

rhs78
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
great take on this game bellville22. it should be alot closer than some expect

JettJenkins04
10-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Good luck Raiders

Rice by 2td's

scotty
10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
From someone who has a great respect and friendships for the coaches and on both teams, I can see this as a top-notch game where Rice will be picked to win.
RICE: This is not to stir up anything and is only my opinion. Rice has had only two quality opponents Yoakum and Navasota. Just check the records to see what the others have done. Yoakum defeated Rice and were able to shut down Huffman. Granted, Rice didn’t have its starting quarterback and late in the game a very important player was injured and Yoakum took advantage of that situation. But you have to remember they stopped Huffman… so he can be stopped.
Against Navasota, Rice completely dominated. In that one, Rice used some play action passes and tight end Robert Shaw scored a couple of TDs, sending it to an early rout. If a team has a Huffman, you have to respect the run first and that opened things for the passing game. But Bellville also put up 34 points against Navasota… so how tough is the Rattler defense?
SEALY: Cuero is the only team Sealy faced that appears will be able to make a big splash in the playoffs and the Tigers played them pretty tough. It was 7-0 late in the game when the Tigers went for it in their own territory on fourth down in desperation and didn’t make it. That gave Cuero a short field and they scored.
Bellville beat Sealy 13-10 and by no means am I downgrading the Brahmas, but realistically they are in a rebuilding mode. They could very well prove me wrong, but they just don’t appear to have the defense to advance far in the playoffs. But their defense was good enough to hold Sealy to 10 points so that tells you something about the Tiger offense. On the other hand Sealy stopped Bellville’s quality offense.
The Tigers will be facing a much better defense in Rice and Sealy no longer has the real fast game breakers they were able to rely on throughout those glory years and beyond on offense. The Tiger passing game is very suspect at best so that allows teams to load up for the run.
For Sealy to win they will have to find an offense that has eluded them all year and that will be a huge hill to climb against a defense like the one Rice will put on the field.
While Huffman has been the difference in just about all of the Rice wins, look out for Brian Williams because this sophomore has the ability to make opponent’s hair stand up.
Friday’s action could very well prove me wrong, but I believe that Rice is too strong for Sealy overall.
On the other hand I had that same feeling a couple of years back when the situation was very similar and Sealy won in overtime and that is why they play them on Friday nights and not here.

Bellville22
10-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Great post 'scotty'.

Specklebelly
10-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by scotty
RICE: This is not to stir up anything and is only my opinion. Rice has had only two quality opponents Yoakum and Navasota. Just check the records to see what the others have done.

That argument holds no water in this matchup. Sealy has played a grand total of three teams that are currently at .500 or better, Giddings, Cuero, and Bellville. They are 0-3 and scored 13 points in those three games.

elhs
10-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Good Luck Raiders!!!

Just want to say everyone have a safe trip this Friday on both sides. Good Luck Big Blue!!!!

BrahmaMom
10-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Go Tigers! Best of luck to both teams on an injury-free game (this is the way both teams emerge winners!).

Crossblock3tech
10-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I wish the best of luck to both teams. This district race could come down to the wire. I bet both teams are gonna be up for this one.

KL3
10-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Rice 21
Sealy 3

I think Sealy will be able to slow Huffman down, but not totally stop him. I look for Rice to pass to the TE Shaw a little more than usual like they did against Navasota to keep Sealy honest.

BULLRUSH
10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Rice 21
Sealy 3

I look for Rice to pass to the TE Shaw a little more than usual like they did against Navasota to keep Sealy honest.

How would passing to the TE keep someone honest?

Crossblock3tech
10-27-2004, 11:35 AM
A lot of times a TE is covered very loosely by an outside LB. If the LB reads run first and the TE is able to slip out unnoticed, he will be open. How many TD's does Shaw have? I noticed that he has several catches in the past few games.

CheerMom
10-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Crossblock3tech
A lot of times a TE is covered very loosely by an outside LB. If the LB reads run first and the TE is able to slip out unnoticed, he will be open. How many TD's does Shaw have? I noticed that he has several catches in the past few games.

He has the two TD's against Navasota.

Crossblock3tech
10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks

coiled2strike
10-27-2004, 12:16 PM

CheerMom
10-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Go Raiders!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Raider Nurse
10-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Go,Go,Go,Go,Rice!!!!! Beat those Tigers!!!!

CheerMom
10-28-2004, 08:32 AM

Crossblock3tech
10-28-2004, 10:23 AM

fullhouse
10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
GO TIGERS! Let's play some "TIGERBALL"!

BULLRUSH
10-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Sealy is probably the only team left in 20-3a that has a chance to stop the Raiders. Good luck!

elhs
10-28-2004, 11:30 AM
I want to wish the Raiders and BIG WIN Friday Night.
Go out and play well an injury free and get a tiger by the tail!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

scotty
10-28-2004, 01:02 PM
FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL IS GREAT:
The meeting between Rice and Sealy at Tiger Stadium on Friday night looks as though it will be a good one.
In those two teams what I see is a football giant, throughout the ‘90s, (Sealy) that no longer has quite what it takes to stay there. They continue to be above average but not nearly what they were a few years back. And that can be expected in just about any program.
The other team is an emerging giant that is relatively new to all of the fan-fair that goes along with a great football program.
A school can be successful in basketball, baseball or any and all of the girl sports, but it is just not the same unless you can do it in football.
A short time ago there wouldn’t have been 50 people excited about supporting the Rice football program as they travel to Sealy. Tomorrow night you can expect a sea of blue, as Raider fans will cheer their team at Tiger Stadium.
That is what you call community pride!
Tell me if anything in the past has ever pulled the communities of Sheridan, Rock Island, Altair, Eagle Lake, Matthews, Garwood and Nada (Makeup of the Rice Consolidated ISD) together the way the Raider football team has.
I understand and applaud the primary reason for going to school is what you learn in the classroom, but community pride is something that lasts forever.
May the best team win and everyone have a safe trip home.

rhs78
10-28-2004, 01:21 PM
scotty,that was a great post. it is very true about gettting this area together, bring on the tigers, i'm ready for friday!!!!

Raider4ever
10-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Lets Go RAIDERS!!!!!!! Wish every1 a safe trip there and back and a injury free game!

CheerMom
10-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Great post, Scotty. I disagree about fans not getting excited about the other sports, though. When I was in high school, Rice was a basketball giant. The fan support was tremendous. The gym was packed every game. Those were some exciting times and games.
Now, it is the football team that has evolved into a giant. It is great to see the fans come out every Friday to support this team. They are a wonderful group of kids and everyone should be proud of them.

elhs
10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
I agree Cheermom, our fans are great!!! They are very supportive and great group. We have had out ups and downs over the years but we always rebound.

We Love Our Raiders in all athletic events.

Go Big Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raider Nurse
10-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Great post, Scotty! I agree with you also Cheermom, we have great fans and they are 100% behind the Raiders! Win or Lose Friday night we will be proud of our Raiders. There will definitely be a sea of blue there and we will cheer them on to victory! Beat those Tigers!!!! Go Raiders!!!:clap:

JettJenkins04
10-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Go Raiders

strike hard
10-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Go Rice!! Win these last two district games. I will be their tomarrow night, and I will be cheering for the raiders.

Tidal Wave
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Altair Rice by 14+

Good Luck Raiders!!

elhs
10-29-2004, 07:36 AM
ttt

Go Raiders!!!!!!!!!