PDA

View Full Version : TIVO is quite possibly the greatest invention...

slpybear the bullfan
10-24-2004, 08:34 PM
...of recent years.

WOW!!! Slpybear was a little slow to catch this bus... (actually, his wife pretty much had to step up and get it done)... but WOW, this makes watching TV actually worth it.

70 hrs of storage and then burn it off.... Awesome! This is making the world series SOOOOO Much more fun to watch.

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I agree. But I have a dumbed down version. It's called a DVR. It's adequate but nothing like a Tivo.;)

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 08:39 PM
i have problems with my DVR on our satelite a lot

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
i have problems with my DVR on our satelite a lot
Dish network? What's the problem?

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
o its just every once in a while it will just get an error and dump everything that we have on it

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 08:46 PM
If you have Dish network as your satelite provider call them up and insist to have a new one installed. Make sure your get a RA number so you won't be charged.

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 08:48 PM
ok thanks ill try that

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 08:48 PM
did u ever have problems with that

Bullaholic
10-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Naw, Slpy.....the greatest invention has to be the thermos jug....you put something cold in it---it stays cold. You put something hot in it---it stays hot. How does it know? Truly, a marvelous invention.

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 08:51 PM
did u ever have problems with that
Yes I did. My voice track would occasionally be off the video on playback. I'm getting a new one installed this week. I have the DVR 522. The two tuner, two TV DVR. They were reluctant and I persisted. They relented.:D

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yes I did. My voice track would occasionally be off the video on playback. I'm getting a new one installed this week. I have the DVR 522. The two tuner, two TV DVR. They were reluctant and I persisted. They relented.:D
Yea i have had problems with the voice track too

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
We've just had our DVR a couple of weeks (I said Tivo earlier). Oh my goodness. It has already learned every single type of program hubby likes....I'll never have a chance. ;)

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Don't let the tech off the phone like I did and the guy eventually gave in.;)
They will try to get you to do a manual reset(unplug and replug, etc. etc.) and tell you to call back if it does it again. Don't let the tech get away with that. Stay on with the person long enough to actually check if that fixes it(it won't). They'll give you an RA number and you'll be good to go.

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 09:00 PM
thanks sintonfan

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 09:02 PM
thanks sintonfan
de nada...
Good luck!:)

GreenMonster
10-24-2004, 09:08 PM
OK TiVo may be kewl and all but I think the greatest invention of all time was......... the Remote Control. Without the remote control you'd have to get up to operate your TiVO drastically dropping it's effectiveness since you'd never use it because you don't wanna get outta the LaZboy. :p

ILS1
10-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Wow!! I've had a DVR system thru Time Warner Cable for over a year now!! I truly LOVE it!!! I've had NO PROBLEM whatso ever with it!!! It's probably one of the best things ever. I told my cousin and brother about it and they got it and love it as well. Still not sure if I can burn any of what I have recorded onto DVD yet. I don't think this model has the capability. It has an 80 gig hard drive for over 80 hours of recording pleasure!!! I still have shows recorded from 2 weeks ago still on it,that I haven't watched yet!!

:)

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 09:14 PM
i think mine has 99 hours and 99 minutes

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Mine has 100 hours.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
OK TiVo may be kewl and all but I think the greatest invention of all time was......... the Remote Control. Without the remote control you'd have to get up to operate your TiVO drastically dropping it's effectiveness since you'd never use it because you don't wanna get outta the LaZboy. :p

My husband would certainly agree with you there! He might spend 5 minutes walking around looking for the remote control, instead of just changing the channel while he's up. :rolleyes: :D

Ranger05
10-24-2004, 09:17 PM
i guess mine is just retarted

ILS1
10-24-2004, 09:29 PM
No,I think it's just your satellite TV or Direct TV. I had Direct TV for about a year and was TOTALLY disappointed in it. Yes,it was cheaper than cable but once you added in all the different packages (plus,at the time they DIDN'T offer local channels),it definitely got up there. If it was raining or thunderstorming,FORGET IT!!! No thanks,I stick with my high priced cable. I feel the same way about DSL. I would not trade my cable modem for anything. Sure you pay a little more but it is SOOOO reliable. My DSL service was the WORST ever!!! In 3 1/2 years that I've had my cable internet service,it's only gone down twice. First time,it took them 45 minutes to get it up and running. Second time,it took only 30 minutes. DSL,on the average,it was between 6 hrs. to up to 2 days!! Yes,I said DAYS!!! I'll stick with cable.

BTW,no I don't work for the cable company!!! LOL!!!

:p

Keith7
10-24-2004, 09:30 PM
how much does it cost to get tivo???

ILS1
10-24-2004, 09:33 PM
It depends on how big the hard drive is. Estimated guess,anywhere from $299 for the small hard drives and up!! The bigger the hard drive the higher the price. Plus,you have to pay for the monthly TiVo service,which I believe is $9.99 a month.

Rabbit'93
10-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Wait until your local cable companies start offering Video On Demand!!

Say bye bye to Blockbuster!!

BullsFan
10-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Keith, do you have satellite now? My DirecTV DVR receiver cost me considerably less than $100, and the service is an additional $4.95 a month. Well worth the cost. And for those of us who live out in the boonies and are at the mercy of ONE cable company that can charge whatever it wants, satellite is also well worth the cost.

I would just like to add that Slpybear's sister has been trying to talk him into TiVO for almost a full year now, and that if she hadn't had the idea to get it for Slpybear's dad for a birthday gift Slpybear still wouldn't have it. I think I should get some credit along with Mrs. Slpybear there... ;)

Plus Slpy isn't telling you guys the real reason he luuuurves it so. He was able to tape himself appearing on tv as a loyal fan on a local football show. And we've all seen it more than once now. ;)

slpybear the bullfan
10-24-2004, 10:34 PM
LOL, thank you for "clarifying" that...

Yes, Bullsfan can be credited for starting the craze when she got one...

Yes, slpybear and his crew were all caught on camera on the DFW HS football show last Friday. I think that snippet will stay on the TIVO for a while...

My TIVO is a 79 hour unit. It is also a DirectTV receiver. We have had DirectTV for several years now. Absolutely reliable and takes an EXTREMELY heavy rain to turn it off. Other than those very occasional downpours, never had a problem one. Which is much more than I can say for my former cable company.

The TIVO unit cost $99. My Direct TV service is $37 for 120 channels including every local one... plus $5 for a second receiver for the bedroom, plus $5 for TIVO.

What makes Tivo cool is it meshes with the SatTV guide and takes absolutely all of the guess work out of recording your favorite shows... The part I love the best (besides pausing and rewinding live TV)... I love it if I start a show and really get into, I just push record and it starts recording it from the beginning... Nice...

Keith7
10-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Keith, do you have satellite now? My DirecTV DVR receiver cost me considerably less than $100, and the service is an additional $4.95 a month. Well worth the cost. And for those of us who live out in the boonies and are at the mercy of ONE cable company that can charge whatever it wants, satellite is also well worth the cost.

I would just like to add that Slpybear's sister has been trying to talk him into TiVO for almost a full year now, and that if she hadn't had the idea to get it for Slpybear's dad for a birthday gift Slpybear still wouldn't have it. I think I should get some credit along with Mrs. Slpybear there... ;)

Plus Slpy isn't telling you guys the real reason he luuuurves it so. He was able to tape himself appearing on tv as a loyal fan on a local football show. And we've all seen it more than once now. ;)

Yes i have Direct t.v.

Is DVR as good as Tivo??

Keith7
10-24-2004, 11:20 PM
I love Direct T.V. My uncle bought NFL sunday ticket, and i get to watch every Philly game on one t.v. while he watches the cowboys on the other

BullsFan
10-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Yes i have Direct t.v.

Is DVR as good as Tivo??

DVR is the same thing as TiVO, and I believe it's even the same company. It has the same user interface, and the TiVO logo is on the user's guide. I think it's just called DVR (which means Digitial Video Recorder) when it's used with a satellite service.

You really should think about investing in TiVO. It is so worth it. I don't think I've watched a commercial in almost a year. And just wait til the first time you watch a football game and you get to create your own instant replay whenever the heck you feel like it.

spiveyrat
10-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I love it if I start a show and really get into, I just push record and it starts recording it from the beginning... Nice...

So hypothetically, you're saying that if you catch the last 5 minutes of an hour-long program and you hit the record button before it goes off, you get the whole show???

big daddy russ
10-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
That's what wives are for.

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
That's what wives are for.

Uhm Russ, don't let your girlfriend see this. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sauer/angry-smiley-044.gif

SintonFan
10-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
No,I think it's just your satellite TV or Direct TV. I had Direct TV for about a year and was TOTALLY disappointed in it. Yes,it was cheaper than cable but once you added in all the different packages (plus,at the time they DIDN'T offer local channels),it definitely got up there. If it was raining or thunderstorming,FORGET IT!!! No thanks,I stick with my high priced cable. I feel the same way about DSL. I would not trade my cable modem for anything. Sure you pay a little more but it is SOOOO reliable. My DSL service was the WORST ever!!! In 3 1/2 years that I've had my cable internet service,it's only gone down twice. First time,it took them 45 minutes to get it up and running. Second time,it took only 30 minutes. DSL,on the average,it was between 6 hrs. to up to 2 days!! Yes,I said DAYS!!! I'll stick with cable.

BTW,no I don't work for the cable company!!! LOL!!!

Do you know that the DVR's from Dish ARE STILL MADE IN USA? I'd bet your Time Warner DVR isn't.;)
Tivo's are made in the Phillipines or Korea, I think.
I get 120 channels for around $38 dollars a month.
Also, IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I KNOW THE CHEAPEST, SWEETEST DEAL FOR A HIGH DEFINITION TV AND DECODER.:cool: :thinking: :)
under $1000 for 40" WS and decoder...

SintonFan
10-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Well, since a couple of you folks PMed me. Here's the deal:
Call Dish network about their High Definition monitor package. It comes with a 40" HD wide screen TV and an 811 HDTV Receiver. The programming isn't cheap(cheaper than others, though) but THEY INSTALL IT IN YOUR HOME FOR FREE.:cool: I personally saw Discovery HD in person and it looks like you are looking out a window. Incredible.
How much is this? $999 for most people, but if you've been a long-time subcriber to Dish I've heard the same package going for $799. Unfortunately, this deal doesn't apply to SBC Dish customers. The same deal should be up for those customers(like me) sometime soon.
Now here's the kicker. If you have local channels in HD, the TV is easily set up to receive those signals. Those channels are free and awesome. Football and baseball in HD is just too cool.
Now you SBC customers need to call SBC to demand the same package as regular Dish patrons. They should listen to reason...:D
lol
I don't work for Dish network...:p

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2004, 07:38 PM
:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

I just knew it was too good to be true. For us anyway....DirecTv, not Dish. Hmmm, I wonder if they have a price matching policy. I'll have to check into it.

We actually looked into switching to Dish, but they didn't have UPN listed as one of their local channels (S.A. feed). That's the only place hubby can get his favorite show - Star Trek.

BullsFan
10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
So hypothetically, you're saying that if you catch the last 5 minutes of an hour-long program and you hit the record button before it goes off, you get the whole show???

Actually, no. But if you happen to be watching the last 5 minutes of a half hour show, you're in luck!

(My unit only keeps the last 30 minutes of live tv in the memory. Which works out really well for me and my cooking shows since they're almost all a half hour long. I see a recipe I want halfway into it, I hit record and I have the show from the time it came on saved. I do realize, however, that many of the posters at this particular forum aren't watching cooking shows. So your best bet is to decide less than 30 minutes in that you're going to want to save someting.)

slpybear the bullfan
10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

No. When you watch a channel... any channel... it starts recording. This is so you can pause, rewind, etc. So, if you start watching a show and say, WOW, J. Jameson is HOT!!! , then you push record and it goes saves the 15 minutes you already watched plus however long the show is, (it knows this from the sat guide.)

Of course, the best thing is to start the tv on a game and just hit pause... then come back in 25 minutes and start watching.... you get to watch your favorite team and just fast forward through the commercials. By the end of the game you have caught up with Live TV feed!

SintonFan
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
On Tivo, if you delete stuff frequently, you should be able to go back farther than 30 minutes. If you always have the hard drive full then you have a limited number of minutes in which you can reverse live TV.
I'll always admit... Tivo is a smart box. Period.

slpybear the bullfan
10-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
On Tivo, if you delete stuff frequently, you should be able to go back farther than 30 minutes. If you always have the hard drive full then you have a limited number of minutes in which you can reverse live TV.
I'll always admit... Tivo is a smart box. Period.

No, you are missing my point. With my TIVO, you do not ever have to start recording a show to pause, reverse, etc. (i.e. you don't have to worry about how full it is).

It automatically will record a "rolling" 30 minute section of the program you are watching... without being told to. Until you change your channel, you can go backwards up to that 30 minutes.

If you hit the record button, you can go back as far as you like...

It sounds complicated but it isn't... it is VERY EASY and SMART.

BullsFan
10-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Umm....no, slpy. Unless your TiVO is quite different than mine (and it may be--it's newer), you can't go back and record past that "rolling" 30 minutes. And if you hit pause, once the 30 minutes is up it starts moving forward even though you're paused. The only way to record more than 30 minutes is to hit record during the first 30 minutes of a program. And Sintonfan, according to my book I can't go back further than 30 minutes no matter how many programs I delete. Of course, I've filled up my hard drive more than a few times, but I always empty it out eventually.

Oh, and who is J. Jameson?

SintonFan
10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Slpy, I guess I misunderstood you.:)
I have experience since Tivo first came out. You can reverse from the channel you are watching more than 30 min. Only if you've been on that channel at least that long. If there is recording room on the Tivo, you should be able to go back as much as you've set in the setup(or menu). I helped set up my mom's Tivo when it first came out. She doesn't have to pay monthy service charges. She payed the $249 lifetime fee for coverage on all three Tivos she has.:D That option is no longer available with them anymore.:(
To make a long story short, if you need help with your DVR let me know. I have(especially now ;) ) some experience with these things.:cool: :) :)
Hey PM me slpy, we should exchange nos....
it's about time.....:D

slpybear the bullfan
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Umm....no, slpy. Unless your TiVO is quite different than mine (and it may be--it's newer), you can't go back and record past that "rolling" 30 minutes. And if you hit pause, once the 30 minutes is up it starts moving forward even though you're paused. The only way to record more than 30 minutes is to hit record during the first 30 minutes of a program. And Sintonfan, according to my book I can't go back further than 30 minutes no matter how many programs I delete. Of course, I've filled up my hard drive more than a few times, but I always empty it out eventually.

Oh, and who is J. Jameson?

BullsFan.... If I start watching The Simpsons and don't change channels and 25 minutes into I am laughing my rear off and want to save it.... then I just press the record button for that show and it saves the last 25 minutes plus the next 5... unless I instruct it to do otherwise.

BullsFan
10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
BullsFan.... If I start watching The Simpsons and don't change channels and 25 minutes into I am laughing my rear off and want to save it.... then I just press the record button for that show and it saves the last 25 minutes plus the next 5... unless I instruct it to do otherwise.

Yes, because you can save up to 30 minutes of rolling tv. But if you're watching an hour-long show and you decide in the last 5 minutes that you want to save it, you're only going to get the last 35 minutes of the show. SintonFan's unit is quite a bit older so his is almost assuredly different, but yours looks just like mine. Read your book and see what it says. Mine clearly stated in the instructions that it only saved 30 minutes maximum in the memory. (And I discovered this myself when I tried to save an awards show not long after I bought it. I went back to watch it the next day and it started right in the big middle.)

slpybear the bullfan
10-26-2004, 09:11 PM
BullsFan... we are saying the same thing, but the semantics of email is confusing us...

If I don't select record then I can only go back 30 minutes...

If I select it for recording ahead of time then I can go back to the beginning of the show.

You know, if we keep arguing like this... someone might mistake us for siblings...

BullsFan
10-26-2004, 10:08 PM
LOL, slpy. I can't imagine why anyone would think that.

(Just for the record, I totally misread your initial post where you said if you decided 15 minutes in you could record however long the show was. I thought you meant from whenever the show started, not for however long it went after you started...mea culpa! In my defense, I have to grade spelling and writing assignments from 60 ten-year-olds every day. Somedays my eyes are crossing by the time I get home!)