PDA

View Full Version : Can a bad call ruin a game?

SoulTaker_IP
10-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Whats your thoughts?
and if it has happend, explain

big daddy russ
10-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Of course it can. I hate to hear it used as an excuse, but at the same time everyone knows it already so don't be a crybaby.

CHSBaseball07
10-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Yes it can......but some teams use it everytime they lose as an excuse

mwynn05
10-23-2004, 08:16 PM
yes it can make you LOSE a game

lilt1506
10-23-2004, 08:25 PM
I dont think 1 bad call can lose you a game but if there continue they could

lobo12
10-23-2004, 08:29 PM
i think it can, it can easily change momentum and momentum change the course of a game

onfirebball05mustang
10-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
i think it can, it can easily change momentum and momentum change the course of a game

exactly

in one of manor's early home games our opponents (i forget who) dropped the ball, let it bounce several times, and picked it up just to score a TD.....Refs never said anything, cost us the game and broke up what we had going....very sad!:(

SoulTaker_IP
10-23-2004, 08:55 PM
yea, it happens to the best of us though

TXMike
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
exactly

in one of manor's early home games our opponents (i forget who) dropped the ball, let it bounce several times, and picked it up just to score a TD.....Refs never said anything, cost us the game and broke up what we had going....very sad!:(

And what is your problem with this play?

mwynn05
10-23-2004, 08:58 PM
does manor still have a xchance at making the playoffs

JHS_c/o_06'
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Yes it can, one call made us lose to Burnet last year...or at least stopped us from having the chance of winning in over time. Because in the middle of the third quarter, Jordan Patton ran 80 yards for a touchdown and they called it back because they said he grabbed some guys facemask....ive seen the film...from two different cameas with two different views.....and i watched him the entire time and there was not facemask. That touch down would have put us up 21-7 and we would have most likely had the momentum to win the game. But, thats over and done with, we've argued about it before. But it can cause you to lose a game.

TXMike
10-24-2004, 05:54 AM
So on all the other plays where you did not score a TD because someone missed a block, or a coach called the wrong play, ...those didn't cause you to lose the game???

Insanity_Strikes_Again
10-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Those plays result in the teams responsibility and the team, coaches, and fans understand that. However, a really bad call that plainly didn't happen is the zebra's responsibility and everyone will dog them down for that call..especially if its a gamebreaking one.

Keith7
10-24-2004, 09:39 AM
The refs cost Gainesville the game against celina.. there was a long report done about it in the Dallas morning news.. i'll try to find it for yall

slpybear the bullfan
10-24-2004, 09:43 AM
NO. Anytime you want to go back and say that one bad call cost the game...

...then you need to also go back and ask those other what if's.... Like why didn't your team convert that particular third down... stop the other team during that 6 minute drive for the go ahead score... etc. There are plenty of things that your team can do different each game when you look with hindsight.

Keith7
10-24-2004, 09:44 AM
it wasnt 1 bad call it was many.. so maybe my story had no relevence to this question

TXMike
10-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
NO. Anytime you want to go back and say that one bad call cost the game...

...then you need to also go back and ask those other what if's.... Like why didn't your team convert that particular third down... stop the other team during that 6 minute drive for the go ahead score... etc. There are plenty of things that your team can do different each game when you look with hindsight.

Finally , an informed AND honest observer.

TXMike
10-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
The refs cost Gainesville the game against celina.. there was a long report done about it in the Dallas morning news.. i'll try to find it for yall

When did they play?

Keith7
10-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by TXMike
When did they play?

october 25th 2002, my senior year...

i'm gonna change my thoughts and say this.. one bad call cannot lose a game for you.. My baseball coach used to tell us that he cannot go out and win games for us, but he can put us in position to win, well i think sometimes the refs don't lose the game for us, but they can put teams in the position to lose, but that is a part of life, nobody is perfect

BIGGBROTHER
10-24-2004, 10:49 AM
half to agree with da bear

bad calls are what we see
bad refs those are apparent
games lost because of bad calls then i would like either of your coaches
for that means those teams did everything so perfectly that that
one call spin doctored every series of events to follow

then again bad calls do get a finger

sinton66
10-24-2004, 11:50 AM
TXMike, what is the ruling in highschool where the qb or other offensive ball carrier sticks the ball over the goal line and then has it slapped away by a defender in the endzone? We had one like that in a playoff game that was ruled a fumble and recovery by the defense. I thought it should have been a td because the ball crossed the plane in possession of the ball carrier, but maybe I'm not that familiar with the actual highschool rulebook.

TXMike
10-24-2004, 12:02 PM
You are correct. If the ball carrier had the ball firnly in possession and caused it to break the plane of the goal line, ever so slightly, it is a TD. Where were the officials? If it was a goal line play to start with they should have moved to trhe goal line at the snap so they would be in position to see. But if play started further away and they were chasing, they might not have been able to get to goal line to see it break the plane before slapped away.

sinton66
10-24-2004, 12:31 PM
I can't SWEAR it was a td, I and another famous downlower were behind the endzone with the play coming at us, but we both thought it crossed the plane. We were not however in a place where we could look straight down the plane, so could have been mistaken. The play started from the four, and there was an official that appeared to be in the right position on the far side. It did appear that his view may have been obstructed as the play was faked over the middle (dive over the line) and several players met the rb in mid air. The qb kept and rolled slightly left and simply extended the ball across the line. There was no official on the goal line on that side.

What we all need to remember here is that these men do their best to be fair and honest, but sometimes the rules are different for highschool ball than what we see in the NFL games and that can be confusing. Our own vantage points are sometimes confusing also.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with TXMike, he is an official and does a great job of keeping us straight on exactly what the rules are. Thanks, Mike.

Let me also add, that what we think are "bad" calls often are only "missed" calls.

handNthedirt
10-24-2004, 12:56 PM
The game shouldn't have to come down to a call that a ref makes....if it does, you're not doing something right. I have seen a bad call swing the momentum from one team to another, but that's as close to the ref blowing a game should get.