PDA

View Full Version : Cameron vs. Rockdale - battle of the undefeated....

theyoefnshow
10-23-2004, 08:35 AM
In district anyway. Cameron is now 8-0/5-0 and Rockdale is 6-2/5-0.
BUT...first of all, the Giddings game. I'm not going to gripe and complain as I honestly thought that the Giddings team played their hearts out last night and Cameron was definately off. Alot of factors to consider though, mainly Giddings being in a do or die situation playoff wise, a HUGE injury loss to our defense and our offense but in the end, Cameron squirmed by 40-37 in what has been the only game that Yoe fans have been on the edge of our seats this year. (heh, kinda gets boring blowing people out week in and week out lol). On the flip side though, we still managed close to 400 yards for the night and Mullins passed the 2000 yard mark for the year passing/rushing combined. Anyway, hope this helped the boys realize they are not immortal because it's "Go time" now and we got the Rockdale Tigers in arguably the biggest Battle of the Bell game of all time. Why? Well, both are undefeated in district, this is the 50th game in the series (Cameron leads the series w/ at least 30 wins) and supposedly, there are rumors saying this is the final BotB game. So, here's the tale of the tape up to now. Cameron: 8-0, 5-0 in district:
WINS:
Fairfield (TX) (31-0)
Bellville (TX) (35-22)
Franklin (TX) (50-14)
Manor (TX) (39-25)
Smithville (TX) (42-0)
Caldwell (TX) (41-17)
La Grange (TX) (41-0)
Giddings (TX) (40-37)
LOSSES: none: averaging 39.875 per game and allowing 14.375

Rockdale: 6-2, 5-0 in district:
Lorena (TX) (14-7)
Robinson (TX) (26-46)
Taylor (TX) (0-30)
Hutto (TX) (22-21),
Manor (TX) (27-26)
La Grange (TX) (15-0)
Giddings (TX) (26-0)
Smithville (TX) (41-0) (games might be out of order)
Losses: Taylor/Robinson; averaging 21.375 per game and allowing 16.25

So basically we have a super powered offense against a strong defense. They say defense wins championships but....I just think that the Yoemen will be too much for Rockdale to keep a hold of. Part of me thinks it'll be a 3 touchdown difference but stats typically mean nothing in this game and it is almost always close. Even when Cameron was 1-9 last year, it was only a 3 point difference. Only blowout in recent memory was in the Pittman years when we handled the Rock by about 30 points. Sooo.....won't make a score prediction, but I think Cameron wins and secures the district championship, that much closer to a perfect 10-0 season. See ya'll there! Get there early!!!!!

Cameronbystander
10-23-2004, 09:27 AM
I called the Rockdale game last night and I was very impressed with the execution and play of the Rockdale team. They have a good group of kids that play hard and they seem to be well coached.

I only saw the first half of the Caldwell/Cameron game but I believe that if they are healthy, that Cameron has too much size and speed for Rockdale. Cameron will score but so will Rockdale. Just a guess but I think it will be 35 to 28 Cameron.

HornetMom
10-23-2004, 09:50 AM
This will be the game of the week for District 19. I won't make any score predictions, but gotta pull for Rockdale is this one.

Dogman
10-23-2004, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't look at any scores (ie points for/points against) in this one. It's gonna be a battle. All bets are off but I think the Rockdale staff will be prepared. The bottom line is that the Tigers are getting better each week and should have everyone back from injuries. I don't think the yoeman are improving. But they did start out better in the beginning.

I say Tigers win a close one and Coach Clark is the Coach of the year in District 19-3A.

Go Tigers........

Old Tiger
10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
I called the Rockdale game last night and I was very impressed with the execution and play of the Rockdale team. They have a good group of kids that play hard and they seem to be well coached (except one coach thinks that you can run through a receiver as long as you are just looking at the ball).

I only saw the first half of the Caldwell/Cameron game but I believe that if they are healthy, that Cameron has too much size and speed for Rockdale. Cameron will score but so will Rockdale. Just a guess but I think it will be 35 to 28 Cameron. Were you the back judge?

Cameronbystander
10-23-2004, 11:08 AM
No, I was the Head Linesman on the Rockdale sideline.

chs_cheer06
10-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I hope Rockdale wins... Then when they come to Caldwell... We beat Rockdale so we can all have the same record!

Go ROCKDALE!!

Old Tiger
10-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
No, I was the Head Linesman on the Rockdale sideline. oic, I didn't like that clipping call on the 85 yard td towards the end of the game...I did all that running for nothing it seemed, lol, oh well there is nothing you nor I can do about it.

RTX 14
10-23-2004, 09:13 PM
i think rockdale has the advantage, they are playing at home, they have won 5 straight, our defense has shut out the opponent 3 of the last 4 games, our offense is shaping up to be one of the best around, dam good coaching staff, clark is doing a hell of a job, and cameron seems to be slipping a little, or maybe they just had a bad week agaisnt giddings, but im gonna say rockdale 28, cameron 14

50th battle of the bell gonna be good one, u aint watchin a game friday, come to Rockdale, Tx for probably one of the best games of the week

theyoefnshow
10-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Slipping a little? One slip up maybe but even if you compare the La Grange game from TWO weeks ago...come one. Cameron just needed a kick in the butt and they got it. They'll be fine.

RTX 14
10-23-2004, 10:19 PM
good cause im ready for a battle and so is everyone else, place is gonna be packed

SintonFan
10-23-2004, 10:26 PM
yo yo yo!
I'm pulling for Rockdale ya c???
I got homies there an dey da bomb!
Tigers by 7!
:D

Old Tiger
10-24-2004, 01:42 AM
um....don't do that again sintonfan, lol :D

RTX 14
10-24-2004, 02:07 AM
lol, i like the support, but i have to agree

Dogman
10-24-2004, 07:57 AM
1. Injuries. (Rumor is that Cameron suffered 2 serious injuries against Giddings) (Rockdale had guys get pretty banged up against Smithville)

2. Clock control. (Who can take the ball and drive it using 8 minutes of the clock. ie running game)

3. Turnovers. (who will turn over the ball either by fumbles or interceptions)

Statically Cameron has the best passing game and Rockdale has the best running game. Rockdale's defense leads the district. I give the coaching edge to the Tigers. It's gonna be a battle.....

Go Tigers.........

theyoefnshow
10-24-2004, 09:00 AM
better defense? Cameron has allowed less points this year remember. And another thing, one game doesn't decide your fate. Not yet anyway. Look at the Liberty Hill vs. Manor game. Manor got FIFTY on them but LH has the offense to keep them up and run away w/ the game. Same w/ Cameron. For the most part the defense has done great. You don't average allowing 2 touchdowns by not doing so but if need be, the offense is there to pick them up and not let momentum stay w/ the other team for too long. Look at the statistics of last weeks game. ZERO punts. Mullins threw his 2nd int of the season but on every other possession, Cameron scored. Hope you're ready for this because offense wise, Robinson is the closest you've seen to an attack like this. You've shut out a few teams yes but how was their attack? Run, run, run. I'm curious to see how good your pass defense is as quite frankly, I"ve heard that that is the weakness.

Underwater Basketweaver
10-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Tigers in arguably the biggest Battle of the Bell game of all time. Why? Well, both are undefeated in district, this is the 50th game in the series (Cameron leads the series w/ at least 30 wins) and supposedly, there are rumors saying this is the final BotB game.

Ok, I'm confused. This can't be the last BotB because ya'll are in a district together, and since there isn't a realignment until year after next, you have to play at least one more time, next year. I mean unless I am missing something here. Do you only call it the BotB every other year. :confused:

SintonFan
10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
um....don't do that again sintonfan, lol :D
lol
;)

CHSBaseball07
10-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Im gonna take Cameron...b/c when ive seen them play...they DOMINATED...and when i saw Rockdale play a Not so good Taylor team...they were dominated.......but i want Rockdale to win of course!

Old Tiger
10-24-2004, 06:10 PM
If we played Taylor right now we would beat them. We did not play good at all that game.

CHSBaseball07
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Ya i was there....i could tell yall didnt have yalls A Game on that night at all.....Cause Taylor isnt that hot

rockdale80
10-25-2004, 05:52 PM
rockdale wins....that is all it is to it.....

CHS_Grad '85
10-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Great article in the Eagle about this game...
October 26, 2004

Bell will toll loud in 19-3A tilt

The Battle of the Bell will resound beyond Milam County this year.

Cameron and Rockdale will renew their football rivalry on Friday, with the winner claiming much more than county bragging rights and the bell donated by railroad companies in 1954.

The Yoemen and Tigers are tied for the District 19-3A lead at 5-0, one game ahead of Caldwell.

Cameron is 8-0 overall and drawing statewide attention by returning to prominence after going 1-9 last season.

Rockdale is 6-2 and hasn’t gotten as much notice, but the Tigers are a good story, too.

The Tigers struggled early in the season, adjusting to a new coaching staff and playing without starting quarterback Matt Sanders, who broke his collarbone during the Tigers’ first scrimmage and missed the first three games of the season.

Rockdale lost lopsided games to Waco Robinson and Taylor and brought a 1-2 mark into rugged District 19-3A.

Sanders returned to the lineup for the district opener and the Tigers hit their stride at just the right time.

Rockdale opened 19-3A play with a springboard victory over Hutto. The Tigers scored late in the game to pull within one point, and Hutto was called for roughing the kicker as Rockdale’s attempt to tie failed. With the ball moved half the distance to the goal, Sanders ran for two points to win the game, 22-21.

Two weeks later, the Tigers rallied from a 13-point halftime deficit to beat preseason district favorite Manor, 27-26. Emanuel Mack ran for 276 yards in that game, including a winning 40-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Last week the Tigers clinched a playoff berth with a 41-0 spanking of Smithville.

“Early in the season, if you had told me we’d be 5-0 going into this game, I would have taken it in a heartbeat and think I stole it,” Rockdale coach Robby Clark said. “We thought if we did the very best job we could do that we would have a shot to make the playoffs.

“We’re such a different football team, even from when district started. The schemes and coaches are new, and it’s just taken us a little time to find ourselves. We’re showing vast improvement every time we take the field.”

Rockdale made the playoffs last season, but the Tigers lost in the first round and their 6-5 finish wasn’t enough to prevent coach Casey Creghan from being forced out.

Like their Battle of the Bell brethren in Cameron, the Tigers were overlooked before the season. Texas Football listed Rockdale fourth and Cameron sixth in the eight-team league. The 19-3A coaches offered even less hope, listing the Yoemen and Tigers sixth and seventh, respectively.

“In most people’s opinion going into the season, Rockdale and Cameron were supposed to be near the bottom,” said Clark, a former assistant at Burnett. “It didn’t take long for people to expect more of Cameron after they had such a great start.

“We had new coaches and new schemes, and then we lost our starting quarterback in the first scrimmage. He didn’t come back until district, and we haven’t lost a game since he’s been our starter.”

Although Cameron owns a better overall record than Rockdale, the Tigers are the only team in 19-3A that has clinched a playoff berth. Rockdale has the tiebreaker edge on Hutto, at 3-2 the only team with a chance (and it’s a slim chance) of catching the top three teams.

“Our goals were to compete for the district title and make the playoffs,” Clark said. “We did so in arguably the most competitive district in the state. We’re excited about that accomplishment, but we still have things we want to go do as a football team.”

Cameron can clinch a playoff berth with a victory, or with a Hutto loss to Giddings. If the Yoemen lose and the Hippos win, Cameron will have a chance to punch its playoff ticket when it hosts Hutto to end the regular season.

Caldwell is 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district, all but guaranteed a playoff spot. The Hornets can clinch their postseason bid by beating last-place Smithville on Friday, and Caldwell could be playing for a share of the district title when Rockdale comes calling next week.

With so much at stake, the Battle of the Bell sets up perfectly to add another chapter to the rivalry between Cameron and Rockdale.

The bell’s toll should be terrific to the tune of a district championship.

• Larry Bowen is a sports writer for The Bryan-College Station Eagle. His e-mail address is lbowen@theeagle.com.

Dogman
10-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the post CHS_grad '85. I didn't get the Bryan paper but enjoyed the reading.

Good luck Hornets and Go Tigers.......

rockdale80
10-27-2004, 01:23 AM
you can see the eagle online at www.theeagle.com. if anyone is interested...they do a decent job of covering rockdale, cameron, caldwell, and other surrounding area games

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
I read this article yesterday morning and tried to find the paper, but I couldn't find one in Rockdale. Good article. One of the editors of the Bryan Eagle came into Texas Burger last Friday and was talking to Matt Sanders, saying that he had been following us all year. They do a good job of following all of the teams in the Brazos Valley in football, volleyball, etc.

theyoefnshow
10-27-2004, 08:59 AM
someone made a good point on another board. In order for Rockdale to win, it's simple mathematics. They just have to score more than 40 points. Hmm......but since they've only done that once this year, that may be a problem.

keep_it_real
10-27-2004, 01:20 PM
I think its going to be a bad ass game, I want to watch both teams.........but Im going for rockdale. Good luck Tigers.

RTX 14
10-27-2004, 01:25 PM
i like that quote, dam man, when did u move there, lol