PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport battles Decatur; Comes up short, but not in Pride.

slpybear the bullfan
10-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Final Score, Decatur 64 (8-0) - Bridgeport 28 (2-6).

I am SUPER PROUD of the effort by the Bulls. More on that at the end of the post...

Decatur came into the game ranked #1 in state and has the more talented team. I am not knocking the Bulls, but Decatur definitely has a TON of talent this year with some almost shoe-in All Staters.... Dane at QB, Christian at WR, maybe Godbolt at RB. So coming into this game, the Bulls were not expected to "show up much for the game." Lot's of folks I work with in Decatur even mentioned that this game should be the last real challenge for Decatur in their quest for a District Shutout.

The first half was somewhat of a shootout. Bridgeport scored early then capitalized after a Decatur miscue on the ensuing kickoff... The Bulls lead 14-0 with less than 3 minutes off the clock. From there on it was a battle throughout the half with the Bulls trailing by 1 point at halftime.

There was a LOT of suprise in the stadium.

In the second half Decatur rolled off 35 unanswered points and showed everyone what a powerhouse they are.

Bridgeport struggled in the second half. Two series went for negative yards as the offense made key errors, forced punts and left a short field. Two miscues gave the Eagles the ball back... Our kicking game continues to provide opponents with a short field. And a defense that had played their best of the year in the first half was asked to do more than it could in the second.

Lots of comments have been and will be made implying that the Bulls did not show up in the second half. They did. They were fired up and played very hard. They made key mistakes that hurt them. But that team in Blue also had "a little" something to do with that second half. People will see the scores from the first half and second half and forget the matchup and rankings of these two teams.

My hat's off to Decatur... Great team and I think there isn't any doubt in Bridgeport that you will be a contender for State.

Now, for what I want to say to the Bridgeport Team, Coaches, and Fans,

AWESOME GAME BULLS! Everyone in the stands was so proud of you. You played so much better than everyone expected and you can be very proud of the game you gave Decatur. The first half was magical and you cannot be down about the second half when you look at your opponent. You scored 28 points on the #1 team in state. You kept the contest exciting for a LONG time.

Thank you young men for playing hard tonight. That was a blast tonight to watch. Even when it got away from you. You kept plugging away and you made Bridgeport proud. Hold your heads up and let's take care of business against Lake Worth next Friday at Bull Memorial Stadium.

sinton66
10-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Very classy post, Slpy.;)

Bullaholic
10-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Slpy.....I intend to echo those sentiments to the boys this weekend and next week as I see some of them. With Durban being a soph, and Colin Jones a junior, I think the Bulls have got a couple of good years ahead on offense, but we've got to develop a good, consistent "D" that shuts opponents down more. My hat is off to coach Danny Henson also, he's proved for 11 seasons that he's one of the best offensive minds in 3A ball. Castleberry just made the Bulls road to the playoffs a lot smoother by beating Lake Worth in 4 overtimes. But we still need to take care of Lake Worth next week in order to go in to the playoffs on a "high" note. Slpy, to be honest, I didn't think in my heart that the Bulls could even be thinking "playoff" after our first 2 games this year. Ain't it nice......and several teams just might have to face that "El Toro" offense in the playoffs.

Bullaholic
10-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Sinton66....don't swell ol' Slpy up too much now........but don't he talk nice for one of them small town Texas boys.

GreenMonster
10-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Sply,
That right there is what Texas High School football is all about. Giving your all on every play and representing your team, school, and community in a classy fashion. I wish more fans see things the way you do. There for the good, the bad, and the ugly supporting your team with pride and enthusiasm. After reading this post my respect for you skyrocketed. It made me proud to be a fan of my team. Good Luck Bridgeport. Class act Sply.:clap:

MASH4077
10-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Stop it I'm getting misty!

slpybear the bullfan
10-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Mash... or Chief or UWBWeaver for that matter... could one of you guys give us some accurate info for college interest in some of the Decatur players? I hear a lot at work but was wanting to get the skinny on it... (if it is okay to post it in a public forumn). That Christian kid for example... wow, what an athelete....

Bullaholic
10-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Mash... or Chief or UWBWeaver for that matter... could one of you guys give us some accurate info for college interest in some of the Decatur players? I hear a lot at work but was wanting to get the skinny on it... (if it is okay to post it in a public forumn). That Christian kid for example... wow, what an athelete....

Good question, Slpy....I'd like to know, also. Christian is a real "stud". Dane and Godboldt ain't shabby either. Personally, I'm really glad to see Dane and Christian graduate. :)

Chief Woodman
10-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Good question, Slpy....I'd like to know, also. Christian is a real "stud". Dane and Godboldt ain't shabby either. Personally, I'm really glad to see Dane and Christian graduate. :)

I'll check with the folks who know and then get back with you with whatever they approve me to tell. I want to respect the wishes of the parents concerning this matter. As a matter of public info- Christian certainly has the size, speed and skills. I think he could play at most DI schools.

Dane is a tremendous competitor. Lacks the ideal height wanted, but I have full confidence he could get the job done if given a chance. He is a very intelligent player.

slpybear the bullfan
10-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I'll check with the folks who know and then get back with you with whatever they approve me to tell. I want to respect the wishes of the parents concerning this matter.

10-4 Chief... as I mentioned I don't want to intrude on privacy.

Thanks for asking,

slpybear