PDA

View Full Version : Navasota 37, Bellville 34

Bellville22
10-22-2004, 11:05 PM
WOW! What a game!!! With Bellville leading 34-30, and 25 secs. left on the clock, Navasota faced a 4th and long at the Bellville 22. They threw a screen pass to Chris Smith, who rumbled by a few defenders and into the end zone to give the Rattlers a huge win in D20.

Congrats to both of these teams. Every single player played his heart out and provided the fans with an unbelievable game.

We knew Bellville would have matchup problems vs. Navasota's offense and Smith, and they did. He ran for 255 yards, and I think had 4 TDs total on the night. Tremendous, powerful runner, he gave the undersized Bellville D fits. But what a tremendous effort by that D! Yea they gave up yards, but in the end, they bowed their necks and did everything in their power to keep the Rattlers out of the endzone. They forced two 4th downs on the drive, and it simply came down to one play, and what a call it was. This Bellville D is gaining my respect, and coming together. An effort like this will provide confidence for this team should they make the playoffs.

Hats off to the Bellville offense as well. Navasota simply couldn't find an answer for them, and simply outscored them in the end. Cooper had 4TDs I believe, and several WRs made some big catches and runs.

Navasota is a very good football team, and they are to be commended. They ran into a team with less talent, but a team that came out fighting. The Rattlers found themselves in a very tough situation, but the senior leadership on this team stepped up and came up with a huge clutch drive and a huge clutch play. Congrats to them.

Finally, and this is very important... I want to tip my hat to a fine young man from this game tonight. We knew Chris Smith was a fine runner and a fine football player, but tonight after the game he showed sportsmanship we should all strive to display in competition. After the game he went threw the line as usual, shaking every single players hand, and stopping to console one of the Bellville players who was injured (perhaps seriously) in the game tonight. Afterwards, he made his way over to the Bellville huddle and shook the hand of everyone on the Bellville coaching staff. What a gracious gesture from a young man to a team that played their hearts out against him. Keep in mind this was somewhat of a rivalry game, and there was a bit of bad blood between these two teams. My friends and I looked at each other and were simply amazed by this, what a fine young man, and what a future he will have. Thank you, Chris, for playing the game like it's meant to be played and showing the sportsmanship and respect it deserves.

Bellville22
10-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Navasota fans, go easy on "Red Mustache"! ;)

CHS_Grad '85
10-22-2004, 11:25 PM
:clap: :clap: way to hang in there Bellville... :clap: :clap: Congrats to the rattlers...

bd62
10-22-2004, 11:26 PM
thats is an outstanding post. looks like both teams fought there hearts out. you cant ask for any more.

rhs78
10-22-2004, 11:29 PM
congrs. to navisoda for a tough fought game and to bellville for playing their hearts out. i wished i could have seen it

JettJenkins04
10-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Sounds like the game we had with Bellville last year. I think that was the final score 37 to 34 also. Bellville sneaked by us last year, but this year is a hole nother story. The Raiders are ready this year.:D

Bull's-eye
10-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Congratulations Rattlers!! The fans got treated to a great game, I tip my hat to all the players and coaches from both teams. This was very similar to last year's Bellville/Rice game. I know that Bellville lost on the scoreboard, but in a game like this, I believe both teams are winners. Great game from Smith, who gained 264 yds on 33 attempts. Great sportsmanship at the end of the game by both teams, and a standing ovation from the crowd. Best wishes to the players that were injured, I hope that the injurys aren't serious.

sinton66
10-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Bellville22, as always you show your upbringing in your posts. Very classy post indeed. Best of luck to the Brahmas the rest of the way and congratulations to the rattlers.

downlower
10-23-2004, 04:10 AM
oh

HornetMom
10-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Congrats to both teams. I was listening to the game last night on my way home. What a nail biting end to the game. Good luck to both the rest of the season.

Bellville22
10-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Has anyone heard from "Red Mustache" yet? I hope he's alright, I'm sure his phone "mysteriously disconnected" last night.:D

venomous tat2
10-23-2004, 11:14 AM
22 i think he's ok he called me around 9:50 this morning but i missed the call tried to call him back around 11 but got no answer.

Bellville22
10-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Does anyone have any info on Benjamin's injury?

Raider Nurse
10-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Congratulations, Rattlers on your big win and to Bellville for a hard fought game! We had the same type game with Bellville last year and believe me there are no losers in a game like this.

Bull's-eye
10-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Has anyone heard from "Red Mustache" yet? I hope he's alright, I'm sure his phone "mysteriously disconnected" last night.:D He's OK! He said some neighbors stopped to see him Friday night. They didn't give him a hard time, stating that Bellville gave them all they could handle. I think both teams and fans earned each other's respect and admirration. As for Benjamin, the "Red Mustache" said that there wasn't alot of swelling and that it may not be as serious as first thought. I hope he's right! Kortland is one of the nicest and most polite person you'll ever meet.

BrahmaMom
10-25-2004, 08:39 AM
What happened to Benjamin? He's one of my favorites. COngrats to both teams on a hard-fought game, Rattlers, congrats on the win. Sounds like Chris Smith has learned how to be a real champion athlete; Bellville saw that with Sinton years ago and it is a great lesson that spreads. I had hoped the Brahmas could stop him, but we are small (eat big this week, defense!). Sounds like the played with Bellville pride, that's all we ask, guys. Good luck to both teams this week. My prayers are with Cortland.

Bellville22
10-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Kortland suffered an injury on the TD catch/run by Smith. From what I hear, one of the Bellville players got blocked into him, and from what I could tell, he injured his knee. Hopefully he's alright, and can continue the great season he's having.