PDA

View Full Version : Rice @ Bellville will the weather be a factor?

Raiders4state
09-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Bellville throws a lot and tonight it might rain will the rain cause problems with Jess and the rest of the team?

Bongo
09-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Conventional wisdom is the advantage goes to the quarterback and receivers when there is a slick field. I always worry about the running backs and what effect a slick field has on their ability to make quick cuts. Bellville has a back that makes quick cuts and a back that runs north and south. Hopefully one of them will have an advantage.

What about the RC backs and receivers? What effect will a slick field have on their game?

Raiders4state
09-26-2003, 10:42 AM
We have two backs that can run the ball very well and the weather only helps us.

Brahma73
09-26-2003, 12:03 PM
It's a lot harder to play pitch & catch in the rain. I don't argue that receivers might be able to get better separation, but chunking and hanging on to a wet pig will be a challenge. If it's raining, it'll favor the running team, especially the big, straight-ahead runners. Bellville won't be at an advantage. We need this rain to stop. Incidentally, it's drizzling here right now and has been all morning. :( Looks like the roof will be open at game time, too! :rolleyes:
Come on, sunshine!!! :cool:

Brahma73
09-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Rain stopped in Bellville, for now. Sun is peeking through... :D

Bellville22
09-26-2003, 03:07 PM
You would have thought that 22 years on this earth, 19 of them spent watching football, I would have learned not to mess with the football gods, but no, stubborn Bellville22 (which probably runs in family too ;-) ) had to go and mention that weather would be a factor in Rice's favor in the first line of his analysis this past week. Well whata you know.

It has rained some here in B-town, and the field will be at least somewhat wet. However, as 73 stated, it has calmed down, and appears the sky's are trying their best to open up, apparently Someone up there heard what a good game this would be, too. I'm sure I'll be staring at radars for the next 3 hours. Whatever the case, both teams will have to play in it, and both teams will have to hang onto the ball.

I've thought about the weather situation, and come up with a theory. Perhaps its just me trying to make myself more comfortable, and perhaps it makes sense....

I still stick by that if raining during the game, it plays to Rice's favor. Bellville is going to have to throw the ball some to play with this team, and throwing and catching a wet, muddy ball is no fun. Both teams will have to resort to the run, and that plays right into Rice's hands.

However, what if it's not raining, but we have a wet field, which is probable. In that case, I have to like the Bulls. The ball should be dry pretty much all game, provided the ball boys do their job, and we only recruit the finest in B-town, haha. As Bongo said, the recievers know where they're going, and have the advantage on cuts, so throwing the ball shouldn't be a problem. However, with a wet field, Rice's talented backs could be slowed a bit, and unable to make cuts. Granted they're up/down runners for the most part, but cuts are necessary for good backs. So who knows. Again, I'm probably just trying to talk myself into this helping Bellville, but thought i'd throw it out there.

The only sure thing is that we're probably talking about this too much, there's gonna be about 80 hungry kids out there, and they'd play in a freakin' swamp if they had to. Turnovers are gonna be huge. I can't wait.

Brahma73
09-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Okay 22, no more caffeine for you. Get up from the computer and go outside, run around the house a couple of times, kick the crud out of your tires, and chill... and stay away from open flames or pointed objects. You cannot trust yourself with your own safety. Have your roommate put you in a flack jacket. Take it off at kick-off. LMAO wink wink

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, the field looks to be in good shape, no rain since this morning. If there is no more rain expect a fast track.