PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel Tarpons vs La Feria Lions 10/22/04

footballgal
10-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Should be a good game and hopefully PI comes out on top!

The Battle by the Bay is here

The Monitor

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/TARPONS102204.jpg
Port Isabel’s P.J. Ramos hauls in a pass as a Hidalgo defender tries to bring him down during a game earlier this month in Hidalgo.

By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL — Deep in the heart of district play, there always comes the one game that keys the outcome of the district championship.

Year after year it always seems La Feria and Port Isabel find a way to face each other for the right to win the top prize in the district. This season is no exception as the Lions (3-0 in District 32-3A, 4-1 overall) battle the Tarpons (3-0, 6-1) for first place in District 32-3A at 7:30 p.m. at Tarpons Stadium.

For both traditional rivals, it’s the 46th meeting between one another as Port Isabel leads the all-time series 28-15-2. The Tarpons, who are currently ranked No. 11 by the Associated Press, took a hard fought 28-14 victory last year at La Feria.

The Tarpons have captured the last three meetings — all three coming in the Monty Stumbaugh era. The Port Isabel head coach, who is in his fourth season, knows all about the intensity of playing big games against the Lions.

"It’s the same old song," Stumbaugh said. "We’re both undefeated and it’s going to be a tough ballgame. The winner will be on the driver seat for at least a week."

La Feria looks to cool off Port Isabel, which comes in with a six-game winning streak with its only loss to Los Fresnos in Week Zero. Since the ‘Battle of Highway 100’, the Tarpons have been on a roll thanks in large part to a bruising running attack and sound defense by the Seawall Defense.

Port Isabel has still found a way to make plays on offense despite star running back Johnny "Nitro" Nieto seeing limited action. Nitro has been bothered by a fractured fibula that he suffered a few weeks ago, but the X-rays have come out negative. The senior did not play in last week’s 30-7 win versus Raymondville. Stumbaugh said Nieto is week-to-week and is questionable for tonight.

"He’s healing up like he’s supposed to," Stumbaugh said. "He’s looked much better and he did some drills (on Monday)."

Led by quarterback Orlando Ochoa, fullback Frankie Herrera, and the beef up front, Port Isabel has racked up over 2000 yards on the ground and averaged 360.1 yards of offense per contest.

Ochoa leads the Tarpons with 557 yards and 10 rushing touchdowns while Herrera has come through with 351 yards and five scores. Oscar Grisham (342), Ralph Valdez (144) and Marky Villarreal (121) have also been called upon when needed.

"A lot of guys have been stepping up since Johnny’s been gone," Ochoa said. "Frankie does what he always does and I just do what I can; run, block and throw."

One other thing Port Isabel always does is take pride in the ‘Seawall Defense’. Since the loss to the Falcons, the Tarpons have given up just over 156 yards total per game, which has led them to second place in district. Now they have the task of trying to slow down La Feria’s roaring ground attack.

This season, it’s been Manny Perez who’s sparked the Lions at tailback. In five games, Perez has rushed for 779 yards and five touchdowns and has gone over the 100 mark in every game.

"Communication is always the key," said linebacker Frankie Espinosa, who’s third on the team with 43 tackles. "Our defensive line and linebackers, we all know how everything goes."

Herrera, who leads the defense with 68 tackles, 20 solo, saw La Feria on film and had only one thing to say about its offense.

"We’ve got our work cut out for us," Herrera said. "They’re a good team and that’s all I’ve got to say."

footballgal
10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
La Feria hopes its solid defense can hold off Tarpons

Ryan Henry / Valley Morning Star
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/LFdefense102104.jpg
A trio of La Feria defenders converge on Rio Hondo quarterback Caleb Flores during their game last Friday.

By BUDDY GREEN
buddyg@valleystar.com
956-430-6284

LA FERIA — Linebacker Roy Vento seemed to capture the attitude of his La Feria teammates.

After beating Rio Hondo last Friday, Vento immediately starting talking about Port Isabel, this Friday’s opponent.

"He was excited about it," said La Feria head coach Roberto Valdez. "I feel that’s the attitude of all the kids."

The clash at Tarpon Stadium will determine first place in District 32-3A and possibly the league champion.

"We’re 3-0 also," said Valdez. "We earned the right to be in this position. We’re gonna play hard. This is what you work for."

The Lions have come this far on a salty defense and a ball control offense dominated by running.

PI got here on the strength of its "Seawall Defense" and its big-play running attack that never seems to run short of weapons.

The Tarps have rushed for 2,041 yards and average 35 points a game.

But running is something the Lions have specialized against. … so far.

La Feria has allowed just 398 yards (79.6 average) on the ground in five games. The Lions have held three opponents under 100 yards rushing. The 118 yards by Hidalgo have been the most La Feria has yielded in a game.

But this will be the ultimate test for the Lions’ D.

"I feel confident about our defense," said Valdez. "We have to be able to use our weapons, play ball-control offense and keep them off the field."

The Lions defense starts with All-Valley lineman Paul Castor. Valdez moves Castor from his noseguard spot to play tackle, allowing Albert Garrett to play the middle. Castor also plays center on offense.

"Albert has been great," said Valdez. "He lets us move Paul around and try and hide him. Paul also does a great job at center."

But Castor means more to the Lions than just football talent. Against Rio Hondo the senior took a helmet in the shin and limped noticably the rest of the game. But, he remained IN the game.

Filling out the front in the Lions’ 50-defense is tackle Danny Martinez and ends J.J. Morales and Jeramy Edelstein.

Vento and Daniel Edelstein are the linebackers.

The forcing unit will have to deal with a bevy of good PI runners. Johnny Nieto has been hampered with a leg injury and his status is questionable.

But quarterback Orlando Ochoa has helped pick up the running slack, along with Frankie Herrera and Oscar Grisham.

In the secondary are corners Manny Perez and Michael Smith, free safety Justin Ramirez and strong safety Jaime Rodriguez. Roel Loredo sees some time at corner, as well.

Perez is probably the Lions most valuable offensive player. As a tailback, the junior has been over 100 yards rushing every game and ranks second in district with 779 yards.

Ramirez is the backup quarterback and had a big game in last week’s 30-15 win over Rio Hondo.

Loredo had a 67-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in that game.

"That’s Ironman 3A football," said Valdez.

The Lions allow 180 yards per game on defense, which ranks third in the league behind Rio Hondo and PI.

They will need a big effort against the Tarpons.

footballgal
10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
ttt

footballgal
10-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Big Fish

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/10-23--PORTISABEL.jpg
Port Isabel takes sole possesion of first place in District 32-3A

By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL, October 23, 2004 — Johnny “Nitro” Nieto wasn’t about to let his Tarpons down.

After getting sidelined due to a fractured fibula and missing all of last week, Nitro made his appearance in the third quarter and sparked the Port Isabel offense, which led to a hard fought 15-10 District 32-3A win over the La Feria Lions.

The Tarpons scored all of their points in the fourth quarter.

The senior couldn’t be denied as he ended the night with 75 yards rushing on 12 carries and one touchdown.

“Nitro is back,” Nieto said. “My team needed me so I had to go out there.”

Nieto added his running backs’ coach told him they would only put him in if they needed to. The time couldn’t be more perfect for the Tarpons.

With the victory, the Tarpons (7-1 overall) sit atop the district standings with a 4-0 mark.

The Lions (3-1, 4-2) defense did all it could holding the Tarpons to only 76 yards rushing in the first half.

But once Nieto’s presence came to the field, Port Isabel looked like a different offensive unit.

After both teams were held scoreless in the first half, the Tarpons were able to put a long drive together in the first possession of the third quarter, but couldn’t put points on the board as they missed a field goal.

All that would change in the final quarter.

On the first play, Port Isabel finally came through when Nieto found a hole on the left side of the line and scored from 9-yards out. Following a missed extra point, Port Isabel was up 6-3.

The offense was unstoppable after that. Led by quarterback Orlando Ochoa, the Tarpons went on to score on their next two drives. The signal caller ended the night with a game high 149 yards rushing and one touchdown. La Feria only held the playmaker to 11 yards in the first half, but his runs of 49, 48 and 36-yard touchdown eliminated any hopes of a Lions’ comeback.

Ochoa’s scoring run put his team up 12-3 after the missed two-point conversion. Butch Martinez came through with the key block on Ochoa’s touchdown run.

La Feria did not go away. Trailing 15-3 with just under four minutes left, the Lions got a big play from quarterback Justin Ramirez as he eluded a heavy pass rush and found Roel Loredo for a 60-yard touchdown strike to pull the Lions within five.

With 3:49 left, La Feria decided to rely on its defense for a possible stop, but Port Isabel was able to get three consecutive first downs to run out the clock.

The Lions were held in check by the ‘Seawall Defense’ led by linebacker Frankie Herrera. The senior ended the night with three sacks while disrupting La Feria’s offensive execution with consistent pressure down the middle.

“I just went with what I watched in the video and just progressed,” Herrera said. “I read what I saw and just went with it.”

La Feria’s leading rusher Manny Perez was held in check as he ended the night with 16 yards on 14 carries. Perhaps more devastating was the loss of starting quarterback Matt Garcia in the second quarter. Garcia was seen with crutches when he came back to the Lions’ sidelines in the second half.

La Feria head coach Roberto Valdez felt the Tarpons just rose the occasion in crunch time.

“Good teams always fight back,” Valdez said. “PI took it to us in the fourth quarter.”

La Feria took the lead briefly on a field goal by Juan Rios.

Nieto proclaimed himself a healthy football player following the game.

“I’m feeling a lot better,” Nieto said. “I have no pain anymore. We’ve got to move on. Rio Hondo is next.”

Port Isabel now leads the all-time series 29-15-2.

The Tarpons host Rio Hondo next week while La Feria also hosts Lyford.

Rio Hondo (2-3) fell short of Lyford (3-2) 20-14 in double overtime.

mgonzalez@brownsvilleherald.com