PDA

View Full Version : Let's share college football history on giant killers!

Phil C
10-22-2004, 12:05 PM
These are teams that don't do too good but usually pull a big upset or two during the year. I will start with TCU of 1961. This was a team that only finished at 3 - 5 - 2 but had three big upsets during the year. A minor one was with Texas A&M that they one but there were two major ones. One was a 7 to 7 tie with Ohio State early in the year and this was Ohio State's only blemish and probably cost them the national championship. This team beat Texas 6 to 0 when Texas was No. 1 and cost Texas the national championship also giving it to Alabama. The Texas win for TCU was voted the biggest upset of the year. Because of the two great wins TCU was the Giant Killer of 1961. Anyone have any others during other years?

IHStangFan
10-22-2004, 12:09 PM
when i think of "giant killers" i think of LSU back in the late 90s....97 i think it was....i was at Univ. of Tenn. visiting a buddy and we had just watch the Vols whoop up on Alabama...and we headed down to the strip....we heard a band playing "Sweet Home Alabama"...except ..the words werent right....we then realized they were singing "f*ck you Alabama...thank you LSU"......as...Florida had beat Tenn. the week before...and LSU had just beaten Florida that night...... ......and i also think of Oklahoma State...they seem to always find a way to beat OU.

GreenMonster
10-22-2004, 12:31 PM
For some reason Boston College comes to mind. I can't list any specifics other than the Flutie Bowl in Miami. Just seems like every year they pull an upset or almost pull an upset of someone in the hunt for the title. Most seem to be against Miami and Notre Dame, or at least I think so.:doh: :thinking:

Phil C
10-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Good ones Green and IHS! And again regarding TCU in 1961 I think both of their upsets happened on the road!

BullFrog Dad
10-22-2004, 01:28 PM
This is not football but a giant killer in college basketball that pulled off upsets so often over the years is Gonzaga. In fact they've gotten so much press for it that they are starting to build a ranked program with top recruits.

Bullaholic
10-22-2004, 02:02 PM
They're not giant killers from the old days, Phil, but Texas Tech is certainly gaining the rep of a new giant killer.