PDA

View Full Version : Fort Stockton in Control of 3-3A

Bubba-Joe
10-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Ft. Stockton in control of 3-3A

By Jeff Tinnell
OA Sports Correspondent

FORT STOCKTON — Wayne Jefferson’s quick feet helped the Fort Stockton Panthers take a huge leap into some unfamiliar territory Friday night in a 28-15 win over the Greenwood Rangers.
The victory gives the Panthers (4-3 overall) a 2-0 record in District 3-3A and a legitimate shot at their first district title since 1978.
Jefferson was unstoppable for three of the four quarters, rushing for 185 yards and all four Panther touchdowns, but he and the rest of the Panthers had to overcome a miserable third quarter and a physical Ranger defense to secure the win.
Trailing 14-3 at halftime, the Rangers (2-5, 1-1 in district) dominated the third quarter and twice threatened to take the lead.
After narrowing the lead to 14-9 on a Jarrel Brooks touchdown run, the Rangers blocked a Fort Stockton punt and took over deep in Panther territory.
But on a fourth-and-goal gutcheck at the Panther 2-yard line, Brooks was stopped a half-yard short of the goal line.
The goal-line stand preserved the Panthers’ lead, but they could gain only a single yard on three Matt Garvin runs up the middle and were forced to punt from their own end zone.
The Rangers took over in excellent shape at the Fort Stockton 34-yard line.
But on perhaps the biggest play of the game, Panther linebacker Cade “Weasel” Ezell scooped up a Ranger fumble and rambled for 65 yards before being dragged down at the Greenwood 5-yard line.
“I just picked it up and started running — I thought I had a chance to score,” Ezell said. “I just ran out of gas, but I’m glad I had a chance to make a play.”
A play later, Jefferson raced around left end to extend to the Panther’s lead to 21-9.
“We bogged down pretty badly there in the third quarter,” Panthers head coach Gary Roan said. “But our guys didn’t get their heads down and kept pushing.”
Sitting on top of the district standings after wins against Monahans and Greenwood — two of the preseason favorites — Roan said his Panthers know they now control their own destiny in securing a long awaited district title.
“There’s still a long way to go, but we feel like the tide has turned for us,” Roan said. “We lost three heartbreakers in pre-district, but our boys have never let down and never given up.”
Jefferson praised his offensive line for protection against the hard-charging Ranger defense.
“They were blitzing and shooting the gaps, but the line picked them up and gave me some great holes,” Jefferson said. “This win gives us a lot of momentum, and we just want to keep it going next week against Lamesa.”

westTXbest
10-22-2004, 12:55 PM
they will kill lamesa, but im not so sure about Brooks being stopped at the half yar line, it was kind of obvious when he hit the pilon.

westtexasfan
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
you have to remember just cause you hit the pilon and knock it over that doesnt mean you scores westtexasbest, brokks was already down and the he stretched out and hit the pilon, ask coach for the film and see it on the film, it was clearly not a touchdown.