PDA

View Full Version : Please get rid of Miceli

shellman54
10-21-2004, 08:23 AM
That man has no right pitching in any game, much less an important game in the NLCS. When they put him in the game, it was over right then and there. Am I the only person who feels this way?

Diboll_Lumberjackk
10-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Why, why would they take the other pitcher out oh my... stupid move very stupid.

x-pro
10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by shellman54
That man has no right pitching in any game, much less an important game in the NLCS. When they put him in the game, it was over right then and there. Am I the only person who feels this way?
Micilli is one of the reasons the Astros are where they are. He has been one of strongest relievers since the all-star break. He has stunk it up in this series, but you gotta go with what got you there.

x-pro
10-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Diboll_Lumberjackk
Why, why would they take the other pitcher out oh my... stupid move very stupid.
Because he is their closer, and he already pitched three innings.

shellman54
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by x-pro
Micilli is one of the reasons the Astros are where they are. He has been one of strongest relievers since the all-star break. He has stunk it up in this series, but you gotta go with what got you there.

you're joking, right? 2 saves in 8 saves opportunities? 74 hits in 77 innings? and just in the playoffs, 0-3 with an ERA over 12.00? 4 homeruns allowed? everyone had a part in getting the Astros where they are, its just that some are stepping it up now that its the postseason, and he is not.

Bull's-eye
10-21-2004, 10:31 AM
I heard that everybody at a local Hooters closed their tabs when Micilli came into the game. I think most Astros fans knew a homerun was coming. The game was lost when the Astros didn't score any runs for Lidge.

AggieJohn
10-21-2004, 10:59 AM
he choked in the braves series, he's choking now..he's through...he's what makes our bull pen shaky

Hupernikomen
10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
you're joking, right? 2 saves in 8 saves opportunities? 74 hits in 77 innings? and just in the playoffs, 0-3 with an ERA over 12.00? 4 homeruns allowed? everyone had a part in getting the Astros where they are, its just that some are stepping it up now that its the postseason, and he is not.

74 hits in 77 innings is not a bad stat. I agree Miceli has been our 2nd most reliable reliever over the course of the year. In this series he has been terrible, and I think that Garner should have taken that into consideration. If you are going to keep Oswalt up in the pen then bring him in is my beef.

Hupernikomen
10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
At one point this year Weathers was horrible. Yet in this series he has been stout.

Miceli's numbers for the year are far better than Weathers, Qualls and all the rest besides our closer.
IP Hits Strikeouts ERA BA
77.2 74 83 3.59 .247

shellman54
10-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
At one point this year Weathers was horrible. Yet in this series he has been stout.

Miceli's numbers for the year are far better than Weathers, Qualls and all the rest besides our closer.
IP Hits Strikeouts ERA BA
77.2 74 83 3.59 .247

weathers was traded before the end of the season. are you thinking about wheeler? he has done a good job.

11TARPON
10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Lets just root for Roger and hope that he can pitch a great game. The Astro bats didn't come through yesterday in the late inings (especially Biggio) . Hopefully the Astros can build a lead early for Roger because when Roger gets a lead he is tough. Go Astros.

CheerMom
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Yes, lets hope that Biggio gets out of his little slump tonight. I was praying that it would happen last night but didn't. No use fussing about what can't be changed. Let's look ahead and hope that the Rocket can pull us through.

RTX 14
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Biggio does need to get out of his slump, any of those times when he went 0-6, if he would of got on, he coulda scored probly on almost all of them because of what happened behind him. As for Micili, i wont say anything for fear of getting kicked off

Bull's-eye
10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Please don't let him pitch today! I don't think we could take another yesterday.

pirate4state
10-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Lidge pitching 3 strong innings last night is what has me worried about tonight. I hope Roger can pitch 7 strong innings. Who comes in in relief, Oswalt? If so, who starts on Saturday? :D Decisions, decisions...let's hope Garner makes all the right calls tonight. :thinking:

big daddy russ
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
If Lidge would've lost the game we'd be talking about Garner like everybody was talking about Jimy Williams last year... except Lidge would still have to come pitch tonight. Pedro had a 4-game (well, 6-month) layoff. He did the right thing by taking the ball away from Lidge. Now should he have gone with Miceli over Oswalt? That I don't know. Maybe he just expects to win this series and wants to save Oswalt for the WS.

Hupernikomen
10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
weathers was traded before the end of the season. are you thinking about wheeler? he has done a good job.

You are right..I didn't think he threw like the guy I was watching blow games every outing before we started our nice winning streak after the break.

Miceli did us a good job this year. Someone talked bad about his saves versus opportunities...it is always bad for the setup man. They come in with a lead and men on base...a sac. fly and they blow the save. The closer comes in many times only in the 9th inning with no outs and no one on. Not to say miceli is near what mota or other good setup men are but he has done a good job for the astros but has stunk it up in the playoffs to date. Dead arm or something but he has some value yet.

shellman54
10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
You are right..I didn't think he threw like the guy I was watching blow games every outing before we started our nice winning streak after the break.

Miceli did us a good job this year. Someone talked bad about his saves versus opportunities...it is always bad for the setup man. They come in with a lead and men on base...a sac. fly and they blow the save. The closer comes in many times only in the 9th inning with no outs and no one on. Not to say miceli is near what mota or other good setup men are but he has done a good job for the astros but has stunk it up in the playoffs to date. Dead arm or something but he has some value yet.

not to stir anything, but can't the same be said about BH? do great during the regular season, but can't seem to make the push during the playoffs?

DawgFan91
10-21-2004, 02:29 PM
I am glad to see this post. Miceli is terrible. I told my wife when he came in that it was over. I predicted Pujols but he walked him. His stats are so deceiving b/c he pitches well with a four run lead and the last month of the season, he didn't give up a run in 9 innings. But, that was right when the 'stros were rolling offensively and most of those games he didn't have the pressure. Say what you want about him being so key down the stretch but the guy throws meat when it's crunch time! Look at Pettitte on the other hand...with the Yankees he would roll into October with an ERA around 4.50 each year from '98-'00 and then in the playoffs he was money. The Ace of that staff... Miceli is the opposite.

As for Lidge, Garner did what he had to do last night. If anything he pitched him one inning too long but he was hoping to get 2 or 3 runs before Big Dan came in to give up his usual 2/inning. Tonight, we need Clemens for 7 strong, Wheeler in the 8th and let Oswalt close it... That would be beautiful and then we'd have Oswalt, Backe and Clemens for games 1,2, and 3 vs. the Red Sox.

DawgFan91
10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Miceli did us a good job this year. Someone talked bad about his saves versus opportunities...it is always bad for the setup man. They come in with a lead and men on base...a sac. fly and they blow the save.

I totally agree with your blown save theory, but you also bring up another point. Miceli is the worst about giving up that sac fly or base hit that doesn't hurt his ERA, but hurts the team. Some setup men have that nack for getting that pop up, strikeout, or tapper back to the mound when it's needed and Miceli just doesn't get it done. That chest high fastball to these hitters is too easy to get out in the outfield...or the bullpen, bleachers, and sometimes other county. You can't tell me that you feel comfortable with him in the game and less than a 3 or 4 run lead.

Hupernikomen
10-21-2004, 03:19 PM
He isn't the greatest but they had a couple relievers who did worst this year. He went through strecthes where I think he did a good job. Right now certainly he is far from it...