PDA

View Full Version : Ingleside Info

underware
10-20-2004, 12:35 PM
I've been impressed with the improvements at Ingleside. I'd like to know who the AD and coachs are? And are they new to the district? Thanks!

Doon
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Newspaper article last week about Ingleside. It's a start.

Changes pay off in Ingleside
Next up for the 6-1 Mustangs: Mathis
By Javier Becerra Caller-Times
October 15, 2004
Graig Hesseltine admits he was somewhat leery about taking over the football program at Ingleside High School.
The Mustangs went 1-9 in 2002 and 2-8 last season, and there wasn't much hope that the situation would improve any time soon.

"I was a little hesitant like any coach would be about coming into a program that hasn't had much success," Hesseltine said, "but after visiting and talking to some of the people I felt that under a different direction there could be success."

Hesseltine was right.

Nine years after it last made the playoffs, Ingleside is 6-1 and a prime contender to reach the postseason. Last week the Mustangs opened the District 30-3A campaign with an impressive 33-7 win over Aransas Pass.

Tonight Ingleside is on the road against Mathis in the next step of a process that began when Hesseltine arrived in February.

"So far, so good," said the Sinton graduate, who left his job at Skidmore-Tynan after three years at the helm. "All we're trying to do is continue to improve weekly. We hope to be in the playoffs at the end of the year."

That hasn't happened since 1995 when Ingleside went 10-0 through the regular season before losing in the third round of the playoffs, a run that ended a 30-year playoff drought. The Mustangs don't plan on letting it go that long again.

"It's all been about hard work," senior Michael Fenton said. "Over the summer we had at least 25 guys at the school working out. That's when we dedicated ourselves and said this is the time to change. This is the year for us."

It appears so.

Quarterback Randy Webb has flourished in an offense that operates out of wing and shotgun formations. In his first season at Ingleside since transferring from rival Aransas Pass, the senior has rushed for 927 yards and nine touchdowns while also passing for 884 yard and six scores.

Junior Brandon Stacy has rushed for 616 yards and 10 touchdowns and is also part of a receiving corps that includes Zach Adams and Joel Johnson. As a team, the Mustangs average more than 405 total yards per game - a direct result of the discipline Hesseltine has instilled in the players.

"There's always been talent at Ingleside, just a lack of discipline," said Stacy, who has also passed for 247 yards. "Coach Hesseltine did a great job of pointing us in the right direction."

Hesseltine felt that was all the Mustangs needed.

Aside from Webb, most of the current players were on the team last season. There are also a few holdovers from the 2002 team that won only one game.

Now that Ingleside has won twice as many games as the past two years combined, the attitude is much different.

"We're having a lot more fun now," Stacy said. "You have to have fun out there to win games. We are and that's why we've been able to do so much."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or becerraj@caller.com

underware
10-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks a bunch Doon.

AP Panther Fan
10-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Great article.:thumbsup:

I am truly pleased that Ingleside is doing so well. It is long overdue and is being enjoyed not only by the players, but the entire community.:clap: :clap: :clap:

IHStangFan
10-20-2004, 01:36 PM
hey Doon, those were last weeks stats....Webb if over 1000 in each passing and rcving and i believe your boy is well over 616 yds rcving as well. the coaching staff is a mix of a couple of the guys that were under Lewis, and a few new guys...all are young and full of energy though....i'd be willing to bet there isnt a ONE of the coaches a day over 35 or so.

Doon
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
hey Doon, those were last weeks stats....Webb if over 1000 in each passing and rcving and i believe your boy is well over 616 yds rcving as well. the coaching staff is a mix of a couple of the guys that were under Lewis, and a few new guys...all are young and full of energy though....i'd be willing to bet there isnt a ONE of the coaches a day over 35 or so.

Yea, I know. Just wanted to give them something to work with without having to go into details, etc. I really like the SINTON GRADUATE line. Glad he came over, bout time. :)

Johnny Utah
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Young, energetic coaches can turn around programs. Look at Rockdale. What is the rest of your district like??? Young staffs or old. That would be unique to try and figure out just to see if youth and energy is beating out wisdom and experience. I do know some can go hand and hand. Great to have a mix of both.

IHStangFan
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Doon
Yea, I know. Just wanted to give them something to work with without having to go into details, etc. I really like the SINTON GRADUATE line. Glad he came over, bout time. :) yeah, its really sad actually...we've had talent on the field the past 5 or 6 years....but absolutely NO coaching whatsoever....very sad.