PDA

View Full Version : greenwood basketball

panther power
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
rangermom, how does the basketball team look this year, last year was the best for you all, almost did it! that would have been the best. What do you all look like for this year? it's gonna be fun this year. We have a new coach after last years debocle of a season, it was sad but the players never let up.

Ranger Mom
10-20-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't even have a clue. Last years team was so senior laden that I don't know who we have coming back besides Bronson Valencia (the QB who was hurt this year) and Blake Higgins (who didn't get to play basketball last year because of a football injury that resulted in surgery)!

lobo12
10-20-2004, 10:23 AM
i agree with ranger mom, there was nothing but seniors with the exception of valencia. last years team was great, i have never played against a team that good, and this years team has some shoes to fill. i dont think they will be near as good this year but i remember one kid onjv could light it up from the 3 pt line

Wtx_coach
10-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Greenwoods team last year was a great team, I havent seen a team that could put so much pressure on the ball like those kids did, im sure they wont be as good but I bet that winning carries over for those underclass guys,

Green Ranger
10-20-2004, 12:14 PM
I think Coach Morret will pull the boys together real well. It wont be another run like last year but it will be a good building year. The young man who can rain the threes is Addison Stewart. He is no Hatley however his threes alone will make him a danger to any team from anywhere beyond the line.

As far as the girls, they had a good core returning from last year. I did not get a chance to actually meet the new coach, but from what I hear he is a great guy. With new ideas and a good core, I look to say the ladies of Greenwood challenge for the Title in District.

Good Luck to both teams

Wtx_coach
10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey greenranger, is blake higgins good in basketball like he is in football, was he the boy injured on the bench last year during basketball season.

Wtx_coach
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey Pantherpower do you guys have any good players coming back from last years team, I have seen yall play the past 2 years and the talent wasnt that bad, how are you guys enjoying the new coach.

Green Ranger
10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Blake Higgins is alot better in football than he is in basketball. He was on the bench last year and did not play. Year prior, there were quite a few people in front of him and to be honest dont remember alot as far as his playing skills. I am sure with his heart, he can be good. I would be interested in who ends up on the varsity roster. Something else to remember, Higgins has been on the court and will be for several more weeks while basketball is already going on, so he is somewhat already behind. Good kid overall and I wish him the best.

panther power
10-20-2004, 07:38 PM
hey coach, yeah we got as few good ones coming back, senior led team this year. The big one is 6-2, 250 pound senior center John Gonzales, look for him to make some noise. They got Tyler Yancy, Brian Rainwater, and others. it will be fun to watch, espicially with the new offense the coach brought in, he's a good guy. John Gonzales is also tearing guys up in football, you have to see him play. He is #77, a guard you have to see him play, he is a monster, i think he should be 1st team O-line. Pancakes all night!

QuailKiller
10-20-2004, 08:31 PM
X

panther power
10-20-2004, 08:41 PM
buddy, u got problems.......... but stay cool buddy!

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Was Greenwood a good 3A last year? How good were they? If they are that good, I feel better knowing that Palestine beat them last year. I don't know what to expect now that we are in 3A.

QuailKiller
10-20-2004, 09:06 PM
X

KTJ
10-20-2004, 10:03 PM
I was very impressed with the Greenwood team last year when they played Gainesville. They were very athletic and played an up-tempo style that I like.

It will be interesting to seem them meet at Regionals this year instead of State.

Ranger Mom
10-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Was Greenwood a good 3A last year? How good were they? If they are that good, I feel better knowing that Palestine beat them last year. I don't know what to expect now that we are in 3A.

Well Greenwood played against Kountze for the State Title...so I guess you could say they were pretty darn good!!

I don't remember them playing Palestine though....was it earlier in the season?

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:20 PM
ranger mom they played them in the cap rock tournament and when i talked to shane and chris they said that they played really flat most of the tournament

Ranger Mom
10-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh okay....I wasn't aware of that!!

Are you gonna be around Friday? I am gonna have the State Bound T-Shirt at the game and we are all meeting at the booster club trailer at 7:00 to sign and take a picture.

Will you be there?

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:23 PM
yea ill be there

Ranger Mom
10-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Cool!!

I still have a couple of more to get in touch with. WestTXBest computer is down so I guess I will just call his mom and have her tell him!

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
u want me to talk to lobo 12 to see if hes gonna come up

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:31 PM
i know he comes to midland a lot

Ranger Mom
10-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah...if he's gonna be there, that would be great!

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Palestine took the consolation trophy at cap rock last year, only loss was to El Paso Montwood (state ranked 5A), by like 10 points. It was wierd that Palestine was in that tournament, considering Palestine is about 500 miles from Lubbock, played lots of schools we have never seen before.

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info, Im pumped up now, knowing Palestine will be a state title contender in basketball. We have been an East Texas 4A power for the last 20 years (17 playoff appearances in those 20 years), but usually not getting past the 2nd or 3rd round, now we get to try our hand in 3A.

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:39 PM
good luck to yall. i wish yall the best

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
good luck to yall. i wish yall the best

likewise

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 10:43 PM
seems like we always run into a Dallas powerhouse in the playoffs, in 4A. My senior year, we went to the 3rd round (beating Sulpur Springs and Highland Park) before running into Dallas Lincoln (featuring a sophomore Chris Bosh, now with the Toronto Raptors)

Ranger05
10-20-2004, 10:52 PM
wow how many points did he put on yall if u can remember

texasjeremy
10-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
wow how many points did he put on yall if u can remember

I don't remember, that was almost 5 years ago, I just remember we were favored and we led most of the game and they came back on us. They lost in the next round to Dallas Madison, but 2 years later (Bosh's senior year), Lincoln went 40-0 and was USA Today National Champs.

lobo12
10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
i dont see greenwood going that far this year but they may surprise me. i just think they lost too much last year

Bubba-Joe
10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Greenwood Talkin basketball with 3 weeks left in the season
Now that is some funny stuff