PDA

View Full Version : question for the football guru's out there

2futurecard'smom
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Please explain to me why a coach would have a quarterback to handoff the ball and then send in another qb when it is a pass play. My son is in 7th grade football and he is the passing qb, but I don't understand the reason for doing this. Anybody know what the benefit of this would be?

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2004, 09:01 AM
In 7th grade, the kids are still learning the game. The coaches are still determining each kid's strengths & weaknesses. Over the years, coaches will make more firm decisions on full-time starters and backups, based on the level of play each brings to the game.

2futurecard'smom
10-20-2004, 09:13 AM
That makes sense, but it's a dead giveaway to the other team we are playing against........................but as you said, I guess this age is more about learning the game than winning or losing. I am looking at it too much in a competetive state of mind and saying to myself "why in the world would they do that". Thanks for putting it into perspective!

Rhino1877
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
But in the 7th grade the other team does not scout, so they would have no clue until they throw it. They really need to switch it up.

BlueBlood
10-20-2004, 09:35 AM
I started to answer this--but their could be 10 plus reasons for this.

lobo12
10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
maybe the other quarterback is a better runner

mikecheck
10-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Most of the time is getting everyone possible involved. Alot of times you have a bazzilion kids out and there just isn't enough time to play everyone. This could be one reason, maybe, I think.

AP Panther Fan
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
In 7th grade, the kids are still learning the game. The coaches are still determining each kid's strengths & weaknesses. Over the years, coaches will make more firm decisions on full-time starters and backups, based on the level of play each brings to the game.

Good explanation. Another thing that has happened here (even in varsity) is that the coach will alternate QB's on every other series of plays. I have even seen some 4A schools doing this in the Corpus Christi area. Not that they are giving one all running or passing ... just testing their strengths as mentioned above.:thinking: