PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of stoking the ire of 3A fans

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 05:57 PM
I just heard yesterday from a very reliable source that Robert E. Lee HS of Tyler (5A) will be hosting a team from California on Saturday of Week 0 as part of the "Kickoff Classic" at Rose Stadium. Gilmer plays Pine Tree (4A) on that Friday in the middle game. Texas High (4A) will play Tyler John Tyler (5A) on Thursday.

Anyhoo, I wonder if it is possible that the California team could be Concord DeLaSalle. What are the odds? Are there any other CA teams that travel cross-country for football games?

Gobbla2001
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I think we'll let Newton play DLS... Show 'em how good Texas' low enrollment schools are eh?

Actually I wish this year's GP North Shore team would have played them this season (not this coming, because they've lost a lot of starters)...

North Shore would have rolled over them pretty bad...

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm not so sure that REL won't. They always field a very strong squad, and it seems that DLS has been "ducking" Texas football. I don't know that for sure; it just seems that way. They play Evangel (LA) and Apopka (FL) and a team from Alabama, but never a Texas or even Oklahoma team. I wonder if we should read something into that.
Besides, don't let them play Newton! eek! That would be far too cruel to send them scurrying back to CA after losing to a 2A school! :D :D

Gobbla2001
02-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Buckeye80:
I'm not so sure that REL won't. They always field a very strong squad, and it seems that DLS has been "ducking" Texas football. I don't know that for sure; it just seems that way. They play Evangel (LA) and Apopka (FL) and a team from Alabama, but never a Texas or even Oklahoma team. I wonder if we should read something into that.
Besides, don't let them play Newton! eek! That would be far too cruel to send them scurrying back to CA after losing to a 2A school! :D :D Sending them home sucrrying would be the best part of all...

There's not much to look into, from what I understand, everyone that likes high school football in Texas wants to send a good team over there to beat 'em, but I feel DLS knows that a top Texas team would atleast play 'em within 7 points...

We need to play 'em and beat 'em before someone else does or before they just start to suck...

I just saw on the History Channel where DLS are the only Trojans in World History to ever back down from a dangerous challenge...

Maybe they should change their names to the 'Yellow Stripes'???

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Gobbla2001:
[QUOTE]I just saw on the History Channel where DLS are the only Trojans in World History to ever back down from a dangerous challenge...
That, my friend, is absolutely priceless! I am struggling for breath as I type this.

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm better now.

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Seriously though, I wonder if it could possible be DLS coming to Tyler. It seems a bit odd to me that you put a 1299765 game winning streak on the line in someone's home stadium. Additionally, if it is DLS, why REL from piddly old Tyler, TX? Why not an Odessa Permian or Dallas Carter? No one in California knows that those programs are little more than average now.....yipes, probably shouldn't have said that! I mean I can understand not playing a GPNS, Woodlands, or Converse Judson, but why settle on Tyler Lee? My guess is that it's not DLS.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Buckeye80:
Seriously though, I wonder if it could possible be DLS coming to Tyler. It seems a bit odd to me that you put a 1299765 game winning streak on the line in someone's home stadium. Additionally, if it is DLS, why REL from piddly old Tyler, TX? Why not an Odessa Permian or Dallas Carter? No one in California knows that those programs are little more than average now.....yipes, probably shouldn't have said that! I mean I can understand not playing a GPNS, Woodlands, or Converse Judson, but why settle on Tyler Lee? My guess is that it's not DLS.My guess is that if it is that team they're playing, and that team doesn't have that good a chance of taking down DLS, we stick Newton in their Uniforms and inform them who just kicked their butts on their way to the airport...

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Why would you want to damage kids' psyches like that? Everyone on this board knows that Newton, Gilmer, and some other schools in the great state of Texas, could and would lay waste to the evil "media" giant of the West. They are a "paper team" IMHO, and I really don't think they've been challenged yet, only because they haven't wanted one. I can't stand coaches whose only concern is preserving their record.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Buckeye80:
Why would you want to damage kids' psyches like that? Everyone on this board knows that Newton, Gilmer, and some other schools in the great state of Texas, could and would lay waste to the evil "media" giant of the West. They are a "paper team" IMHO, and I really don't think they've been challenged yet, only because they haven't wanted one. I can't stand coaches whose only concern is preserving their record.I know I say Newton can beat 'em etc... But I taped their game that was on ESPN or whatever this season and they looked pretty good, but there are some top 4A's and there are some %A's who could beat them...

I believe you may be right about them not being tested... I believe they have 15 regions (or are they called sections) in Cali... If you ask me, they're more the size of districts... But they compete for that Regional or Sectional championship and that's it, they only play the teams in their small corner of the state, not even playing the other top teams in Cali...

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 07:02 PM
And no one will ever convince me that the top teams from California or anywhere else for that matter can compare with the top teams from Texas. In fact, much to the dismay of citizens from California and Florida, Oklahoma fields the second best high school football in the nation, so don't be jealous CA, just take your beatin' (that's Texan for beating) like a man and scurry back to the land of transvestites.

That would've probably been more effective had I been speaking directly to someone from California.

Phil C
02-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Now now! We have to show respect to California. Remember that it was the State that won the Civil War for the North! :)

Old Cardinal
02-11-2004, 07:26 PM
California! Where even the land has faults!....I saw a dozen are so of their Select team 18 & U girls softball unit at the AFA Nationals in Beaumont the last few summers. Out of the 140+ teams there, the California teams were quite good. I would like to see some films on there better HS football teams.