PDA

View Full Version : Do not forget Port Isabel

footballgal
10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Do not forget Port Isabel
by:http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/StevenBenavidesMUG.jpg

October 17, 2004 — With all the attention the race for the District 32-5A title is receiving, one school is quietly in the midst of a remarkable run.

On Friday night, the Port Isabel Tarpons won its sixth straight game, thumping Raymondville 30-7.

Those familiar with Rio Grande Valley football ought to not be surprised by the ‘Fighting Fish’. Last season, the Tarpons stumbled out of the blocks in the non-district season, only to emerge as 32-3A district co-champions and advance to the Class 3A state semifinals.

This year Port Isabel opened with an overtime loss to Highway 100 rival Los Fresnos only to outscore its subsequent six opponents 235-54.

Recognition must be given to Monty Stumbaugh and his coaching staff. They have sustained a level of excellence other programs aspire to attain.

In the three seasons under Stumbaugh, the Tarpons have clinched a trip to the postseason.

Often outsized by opponents, Stumbaugh coaches to the strength of his team. The coach makes modifications in accordance with the players on the field, giving his squad the best opportunity to come away with a victory. That is what coaching is all about.

Undervalued by most outside of Port Isabel, Stumbaugh, in my opinion, is clearly among the Valley’s elite coaches.

The Tarpons will attempt to extend its winning streak to seven games and become the lone undefeated squad in 32-3A as it hosts fellow frontrunner La Feria next Friday in the Brownsville Herald’s Game of the Week.

Player of the week

San Benito again displayed why it’s the top team in the Valley as it trounced Pace 47-7 to remain undefeated this season.

The Greyhounds have rumbled past its opponents behind the play of quarterback Randy Reza. The signal caller leads District 32-5A in rushing with 1,191 yards.

The senior led the Greyhounds Friday night with 265 yards, three touchdowns on 26 carries. For his performance, Reza is this week’s peak performer.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2004, 09:43 AM
We haven't forgotten about PI! :)

footballgal
10-19-2004, 09:56 AM
LOL :D I know you'll haven't for sure.

Johnny Utah
10-19-2004, 10:54 AM
PI going D1 or D2??? Why do you think teams are overlooking them??? Better watch out for Liberty Hill in D2! Cuero or West Columbia in D1!!!

11TARPON
10-19-2004, 03:49 PM
PI is playing LaFeria Lions this friday. Both are undefeated in District play. LF is the larger of both schools and they control their on destiny, even if they fall to the Tarpons as is predicted. So I see the Tarpons going D2 and going deep into the playoff and headed into a headon collision with a rematch with Liberty Hill. That should be a great game.

LHMom
10-19-2004, 09:58 PM
No one in LH has forgotten y'all, Football Gal. It is sounding like PI will be Div I and LH will be Div II. Too bad...

footballgal
10-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
No one in LH has forgotten y'all, Football Gal. It is sounding like PI will be Div I and LH will be Div II. Too bad...

No not at all LHMom, La Feria should make the playoffs as runner up at least; and they are the bigger school with 800+ in enrollment. All they have to do is make it to the playoffs and PI goes div II. So chances are good so far of the re-match.

LOL we're starting to sound like boxing re-match commercial. :D

LHMom
10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Guess we should both be careful what we wish for! :D

footballgal
10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Nah, whatever the outcome it should be a great one.:)

LHMom
10-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I think both teams have a great deal of respect for the other. It would make a great rematch.

footballgal
10-19-2004, 10:12 PM
That's for sure, I remember both kids and community saying after the game, how classy the LH players and folks were, which translates to respect.

I will go as far and say; it should be a classic ;IF it happens. With LH offense head monster vs the seawall defense. LH with their 48 min and not 1 min less playing and PI leave it all on the field. Wow! :D