PDA

View Full Version : Bellville vs. Navasota @ "The Snake Pit"

Bull's-eye
10-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Key district 20-3a game. Bellville has the huge task of trying to defeat the Rattlers on their home field. Scoring first and gaining some momentum will be crucial for the Brahmas. Bellville's offense must try to control the ball and keep the powerful Rattler running attack off the field. Bellville's defense may have to stack the run and make Navasota beat them through the air. Some people may disagree, but the key to this game is Bellville's offense vs Navasota's defense. If Bellville can score more than 28 points, they have a shot at the big upset.

Slobberin Dawg
10-19-2004, 07:28 AM
I think the key will be up front... Navasota has a great offensive line that reaps the benefits of Coach Burk's weight program. They are big and strong... The RB is a good one..... If they have a weakness I think it is at Lb'er and in the secondary. We have scrimmaged one and played the other so it.............

Ought to be a great game!

Balboa
10-19-2004, 08:28 AM
It all depends on how Bellville comes out if they ocme out and hit Navasota in the mouth then there could be a game ....but if Navasota gets rolling watch out they are dangerous.

cunbed10
10-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey22 keep me posted on this one, I will be waiting on a halftime and 4th quarter score.

Bellville22
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Will do 'cunbed10'. Still trying to put together my thoughts on this game, I'll have my prediction tomorrow.

Chris' Agent
10-19-2004, 10:54 AM
bellville22...you don't sound too sure about yalls chances...if you were sure you would already have a prediction...whats up with that...

Bull's-eye
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Bellville22 does an incredible job of researching these games. Check last week's game and he was dead on. He does not let his heart influence his predictions, even though he wants Bellville to win. I'm sure he is staying with his earlier predictions, and will go with Navasota. He will also predict a score and have several thoughts about what must happen for each team to be victorious. Bellville22 is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. :clap: :clap:

coiled2strike
10-19-2004, 12:23 PM
he is waiting for the scouting report from the red mustache, i think...

scotty
10-19-2004, 12:47 PM
This could be very interesting. Navasota has the most talent, but they have yet to beat Bellville since stepping down to 3A. Bellville won pretty big each time and that will bring doubts to some minds in blue.
The baseball deal may have left some sour tastes and with one at quarterback and the other at defensive back and running back it could be payback time.
Navasota plays a read defense and weren’t able to stop Huffman before he got started but they won’t see anyone like him the rest of the way in district.
Bellville was able to win over a team last Friday night that appeared to have much more experience and maybe a bit more talent. So don’t look for Bellville to be awed against a somewhat superior team, on paper, than they are.
Usually a read defense doesn’t put as much pressure on a quarterback as a make-something-happed defense does. In that case I believe Bellville’s passing game will have time to develop and that will make them hard to beat.
On the other hand if Navasota gets ahead and can keep pounding Smith into the line and control the clock it could be tough on the Brahmas. Bellville’s defense is not all that impressive.
But I see Bellville on a roll and Navasota with a lot of doubts, so I pick Bellville to win.

Bull's-eye
10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Has the "Red Mustache" climbed that big tree over looking the Rattler practice field again? Last year, he was banned from watching Navasota practice. One thing for sure, he will be calling his neighbors after a Bellville victory or his phone will mysteriously not work if the Rattlers prevail. :D

coiled2strike
10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
haven't seen him lurking...maybe that's b/c he's good, though

coiled2strike
10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
maybe venomoustat2 has heard from him this week...

Bellville22
10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Chris' Agent
bellville22...you don't sound too sure about yalls chances...if you were sure you would already have a prediction...whats up with that...

How do my thoughts on our chances have anything to do with when I make my prediction? :rolleyes: I never make my prediction until Wed. or Thurs. because I like to think about the matchups and how they'll play out instead of just throwing my team out as the winner. I try to be very unbiased in my picks, and remain objective in my views on how the game will turn out, and anyone on this board will tell you that's always the case.

If you'd like a sneak peak, no, I don't think Bellville matches up very well in this game at all, and I'm sure I'll have them as the underdog, as will just about anyone.

Thanks for the comment, glad to hear your so eager to read my preview. :rolleyes:

Bellville22
10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
he is waiting for the scouting report from the red mustache, i think...

haha, you got me :D

strike hard
10-19-2004, 03:50 PM
This is going to be a great game at "The Snake Pit". If the RATTLERS get rollin early ya better watch out. For Bellville to make things close they are going to have to make things happen early. For example the blocked punt aginst Sealy that they had last week for a TD early in the game to tie it up. Bellville has been getting better every week so you never know what can happen. However I still think that the Navasota Rattlers will come out strong and win. Good luck to all the teams in D-20 3A and stay injury free.

Navasota 35
Bellville 13

GO BIG BLUE!!! Strike Fast, Hard, and Ofter

Bull's-eye
10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
The "Red Mustache" predicts a Bellville win, but he always predicts them to win.:D

CheerMom
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
I think this is going to be another great game!! Good Luck to both teams and stay safe and injury free!!!

Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

downlower
10-19-2004, 06:13 PM

I haven't seen you post your prediction yet, not sure about "yalls chances" big man. What's up with that?

Specklebelly
10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Bellville got a key victory in their run to the playoffs last week. They won ugly, which is something I have not seen Bellville do in some time since they have had such a high powered offense the past 3-5 years. They took on a game Sealy team, played tough D and got it done in a big rivalry game. They will be seeing a much more skilled offensive team this week though. Navasota has the ability to run and pass the ball effectively where Sealy was pretty limited on offense.

Navasota has a much better offense and a slightly better defense in my opinion. The fact is though that many times in high school football, the game comes down to special teams and the intangibles. Bellville showed last week they can get it done on special teams. They also have that intangible that they expect to win and seem to have the ability to show up for a big game prepared and ready to play. Navasota has not faired as well in big district games or the playoffs. That said, Ill take Bellville by a field goal.

BrahmaMom
10-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Yep, Red Mustache picks the Bulls, but he sounds pretty confident. I like Jabow on defense; you may be right, scotty, it may be payback time for that slide (?) last spring. 22 stakes his reputation on his predictions, so give him till his Wed or Thursday deadline, guys, he isn't one to be pushed. I am proud of our young team and think they will give the Rattlers a battle. I hope the Brahmas are ahead by at least one when the clock runs out. And I hope, unlike in baseball, this is an injury-free game. That said most sincerely, I hope Jabow gets to play some defense Friday night. Go Brahmas!

Bellville22
10-20-2004, 01:11 PM
This prediction goes out especially to 'Chris' Agent', who's been anxiously awaiting my preview for several days now...

I wouldn't call it a huge matchup in regards to playoff implications, but this is certainly the most intriguing matchup in D20 this week. These teams don't have a long history against each other, but in a short time, they've built up a nice little disliking for each other. Navasota is yet to defeat Bellville since coming down to 3A. Last year many Rattler fans thought that it was their year. The 6-0 Rattler's welcomed a 6-0 Brahma team into the Snakepit, with every intention of knocking off the top 5 team and establishing themselves as a state powerhouse. Things didn't go that way, as the game was pretty much over at halftime. I don't think that loss set too well with the Rattler Nation. Throw in an unfortunate incident in one of a few competitive baseball games, as well as a man with a red mustache who likes to stir things up in both neighborhoods :D and the stage is set for a fun night of football.

Entering district, Navasota was the favorite in D20 and pick to go deep in the playoffs in many people's mind. Rice threw a kink in that D20 prediction, but this is still a very good football team, and they certainly have intentions of making a run when that time comes. They field a high powered running attack, led by RB Chris Smith and QB Scott Martin. Smith is a power back, who possesses speed, but doesn't have the acceleration of a Charles Huffman. Last year the Brahma D swarmed him and stopped him before he could get started. If the D-line can't get to him this year, he could have a huge night against a small set of LBs. I look for Navasota to try to set the tone and control the game by feeding him the ball early and often. Martin, however, is quite the runner himself, and he'll certainly keep the DEs and OLBs honest by pulling it everyonce in a while. If he turns the corner, he'll be tough to catch, even for a speedy Bellville secondary. From what I've seen and heard, Navasota's passing game is a result of a dominant running game. After Smith and Martin getting carry after carry, the back 7 tend to cheat, and that's when a TE or WR can sneak free. Good teams like Navasota take advantage of this and use big plays in the passing game to put away a team. Bellville's D will have to stay disciplined, and not cheat up for the run. Even if they have trouble stopping the run, which is likely, they must make this team control the ball and march down the field, cause a few big plays could lead to a runaway in a hurry. Last year Bellville had a great scheme to stop this O. They've lost some talent on D, but this is the same offense, it should be interesting to see how they go about trying to stop it.

Bellville's offense does have the ability to move the ball on the Rattler D. They have great athletes, and can make some things happen. Cooper has emerged as a very good RB, he should have success Friday night. For the Brahmas to stay in the game, though, Pope will have to be able to throw the ball. He's shown the ability to do this, and if he can get time, he's pretty accurate. If Bellville can get a big play or two early, they may be able to feed on the confidence and make it interesting.

On paper, this Navasota team is much better. Bellville has been on a roll lately, however, and this young team is very confident. If Navasota comes out, establishes the run, and doesn't turn the ball over, it will be very hard for Bellville to win. For Bellville to win, they have to grab the early momentum. A big play or a big stop can take the juice out of a team that wants very badly to beat them, and beat them by a bunch. Bellville absolutely cannot afford to turn the ball over, they must take care of the ball and try to keep Navasota's offense off the field. Bellville will need to score 28+ in order to win this game. Last week Bellville won the game because of a huge special teams play. I look for them to try to make things happen again this week. Last year Navasota's punt team was vulnerable to the block, Bellville needs to try to get one or two this week. The kickoffs are also important, the Brahmas have to pin Navasota deep and make them work the field to score.

The atmosphere will be great at the "Snakepit" Friday night. Navasota has had this date circled for a while, and they want nothing more than to dominate this game. If they get a lead, I expect them to do everything in their power to run the score up. I would love nothing more than to see my Brahmas go into the Pit and get another win, but from an objective view, it's going to be very tough. Navasota has not faired well in 'big games' over the past few years, but this is a great opportunity for them to take one. "Red Mustache" will not be happy with me, I hope I'm wrong.....

Navasota 36
Bellville 17

BrahmaMom
10-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Okay, 22, fair enough review, unfortunately too accurate for my liking. HOWEVER, if the defense can take care of Smith and if the O line can give Pope the time he needs, it can be done. You pointed out an important distincition between a win and loss for Bellville--no turnovers, no mistakes. In years past, the Red Storm could be counted on for at least one forced fumble, fumble recovery, interception, even a defensive TD--that is the kind of defense we'll need Friday night to pull off a Brahma victory. Our stops will have to be hard, quick, and certain--Smith can take a hit and keep on going. I, too, worry about the size of our LB's, wish they each put on about 20 lbs in the next two days. With Cooper, Bryant and Sanders, I feel good about our offense moving the ball. Pope has done a great job of taking over at QB and he has help offensively. It's time for the Brahmas to step up in a BIG way Friday night. Best of luck to the Bulls as they take it all the way! GO BRAHMAS!

Bull's-eye
10-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
as well as a man with a red mustache who likes to stir things up in both neighborhoods :D and the stage is set for a fun night of football. That's CLASSIC!!

rhs78
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
bellvile22, very good take on this game. i think if bellvile can stop smith as rice did, then it will be very close and i think bellvile's special teams has a big advantage. navisota did not show much of any passing in the rice game even being down by two scores. anyway it should be a very good game. hope all players have a safe and injury free game.

ROY
10-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Let me go on now and put in my 2 cents worth...I'm sure everyone wants to hear it. I really hope no one is trying to bring back up Martin's perfectly legal slide in to J-Lows oops I mean Jabow's leg. He was squating about a foot off the ground when he got spiked in the leg for crying out loud. It is a part of the game. I'm absolutely positive that Martin would never intentionally injure another person like that. I still stand by my thought from the Spring that the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion. I still find it hard to believe it caused a player to be out for 2 weeks or whatever it was. I'm sure that B22 is mad I me now, because I said that I too would let it go. Now I have. I like B22's analysis of games. He has some good knowledge about both teams and I feel he has made a good prediction. This year will be Navasota's year. I miss seeing the old Red Mustache around. He was always a bit annoying trying to come over and watch the Rattler practices and stuff. He probably wouldn't have been banned from practice if he didn't practically drive his truck up onto the practice field one day like he owned the place. We sure loved to try to get him heated up. He's funny when he gets a little mad. I have haven't been able to go to any games this year...do to a large body of water seperating us right now. People with me talk about Futbol everyday, but obviously not the 'right' type of Football!!! Well, this is the way I see it happening. My Stros win either Wednesday or Thurday night...my Rattlers win on Friday...and my Aggies kick Colorado's arses on Saturday, and I'll be happy!
"To strive, to seek, to find....and not yield."

Raider Nurse
10-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Good luck to both teams and may the best team win!!! Stay injury free!!!!!

SintonFan
10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
I love the Brahmas. Everyone I know here are class acts. Yall have been here for awhile and have stayed with your team through it all. I also think they should take this game.
Go Brahmas!:clap: :clap:

BrahmaMom
10-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks, SintonFan. A true friendship was formed that day in Victoria. Sinton and Bellville respected each other from that day on. Hope the Pirates have a fun season!

Chris' Agent
10-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Bellville22...I wouldn't say I was eagerly waiting for your prediction...to tell you the truth...I don't really care...

At first I didn't read your post at all...but I came back to it just to see what garbage you wrote...and...I DID find that you wrote some pretty ground breaking stuff...like..."I look for Navasota to set the tone and give Smith the ball early and often"...wow...I don't think that was in the gameplan...after reading this...I'm sure Navasota coaches will implement your statement...

You also said..."Smith is a power back w/speed but doesn't have accelleration of Huffman"...wow...I really havent paid attention to that but...you are DEAD ON...AMAZING...

You did have SOME "inaccuracies" though...Navasota will not run up the score...

The baseball incident didn't affect us...YOU guys are STILL hung up on that...GET OVER IT...

Chris' Agent
10-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Downlower...What do you think my prediction is genius...I don't have to post it for anyone...That is what is up...Scratch my back...no..."downlower":D :D :D

Bull's-eye
10-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey Chris's Agent, explain to me why your starting QB is throwing a TD pass late in the 4th quarter in a blow-out game vs Hempstead? What do you call that?

Hey Roy, the "Red Mustache" loves you, I'm sorry he said he loves your Polish money. Sorry, he won't take pesos. Yes, he is part owner of the football field. He does pay his taxes in Navasota.

Rattlermom
10-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Roy, I didn't know you were Polish!! You don't even have "SKI" on the end of your name!!

Bellville22
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Bellville22...I wouldn't say I was eagerly waiting for your prediction...to tell you the truth...I don't really care...

At first I didn't read your post at all...but I came back to it just to see what garbage you wrote...and...I DID find that you wrote some pretty ground breaking stuff...like..."I look for Navasota to set the tone and give Smith the ball early and often"...wow...I don't think that was in the gameplan...after reading this...I'm sure Navasota coaches will implement your statement...

You also said..."Smith is a power back w/speed but doesn't have accelleration of Huffman"...wow...I really havent paid attention to that but...you are DEAD ON...AMAZING...

You did have SOME "inaccuracies" though...Navasota will not run up the score...

The baseball incident didn't affect us...YOU guys are STILL hung up on that...GET OVER IT...

:clap: Haha, I love it! People like you make me, and I'm sure others on this board, feel really smart, I love that.

Well genius...never in any of my predictions did I say that I would present "ground breaking" information that no one else knew about. Hell, when ESPN analysts talk about OU, they tell you A. Peterson is gonna get the ball, and get it alot. Even my little sister knows that. You see C.A. ( I hope you don't mind me shortening your name, feel free to call me '22'), the beauty of this site is that it's 3A DOWN LOW, meaning ALL of 3A, meaning all of this huge state. And yes, there are people out there, there's even people in Bellville and D20, that don't know how Navasota plays the game, or how Smith compares to Huffman. I know that's hard for you to believe, because I'm sure you know as much or more than anyone, but there's actually people out there who don't. These are the people who read my posts and learn something, just like they would from yours if you'd type such previews. So please don't reveal your ignorance and jump on me for making what might be an obvious statement to you. The friends I've made on this board read and appreciate my comments, heck, some even look forward to my posting of them. This is evident by the positive comments I sometimes get after posting. Should you ever get any of those, it's a nice feeling.

Have a good week 'C.A.', and enjoy what I believe will be a Rattler win Friday night. And 'Bulls-Eye' has already commented on the running up scores, but earlier this year I watched Martin and Smith drive down and score with less than 4:00 left in the game while up by 20 or so.

Keep up the work, kid, one of these days you might be on my level.:eek:

Bellville22
10-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I thought ROY did have a SKI on the end of his name?

Bull's-eye
10-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Taking a closer look at this game, Navasota is in more of a must win situation. Losing to Bellville would give them 2 losses in district play and would probably make the Sealy game decide their play-offs hopes. They could also come in tight, knowing they haven't beaten Bellville since joining their district and Bellville has not loss a district game in several years. They know that Rice lost to Yoakum, a team that Bellville defeated 49-27. We all remember what Rice did to Navasota. In the past, we know that the Rattlers have not played well in big games. On the other hand, Bellville is on a 4 game winning streak and their win over Sealy gave them a inside track on the play-offs. They are still in the play-off chase, even if they lose to Navasota. Bellville has been predicted to finish 4th by most people and told on paper that they don't belong on the same field as Navasota. A certain Rattler running back told the "Red Mustache" that Bellville's defense didn't hit very hard. This may stir up Bellville's defense causing them to swarm like bees. I see the Brahmas going to the "Pit" very loose and having the chance to pull off the big upset. Special teams could play a big part in this game. Go Bulls!!

Chris' Agent
10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Bellville22...I don't want to be on your level...so...as of right now...I will stop ALL of the insults...I will stop ALL of the sarcasm and fun poking..and about martin and smith driving down and scoring w/less than 4min left in the game up by 20...It is the opponents job to stop them...what do you want them to do...stop running hard...stop being a hardnose player just because a defense can't make the play...PEACE...LOVE...and POSITIVE PLAYS...

scrub c
10-22-2004, 09:38 AM
is that stadium still a dump? or have they tried to fix it up?

BlueBlood
10-22-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm pulling for Bellville in this one. Never did like snakes.

Bull's-eye
10-22-2004, 11:25 AM
[B]and about martin and smith driving down and scoring w/less than 4min left in the game up by 20...It is the opponents job to stop them../B] It's the coaches decision to leave their starters in a blow-out game. This may help their stats, but doesn't teach them anything about character. Some of these coaches learn the hard way, when an injury happens to a player that shouldn't still be in the game.

venomous tat2
10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
bulls-eye i called red just now and asked him about that comment and he told me they were just bs'ing each other like they always do just like he and i do NICE try anyone on here knows the mustache likes to have fun, you on the other hand are trying to make it look like an insult. hey we're friends bulls-eye but you put the twist on that one on purpose.:thinking:

Bull's-eye
10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
As Bellville22 stated, there is a man with a red mustache that stirs things up in both neighborhoods. I just wrote what he told me. I'm sure both teams will be fired up, no matter what has been written. Good luck and an injury free game for both teams.

Venomous, let's get together and talk some football. Bring Roy D along for some laughs. I have a Rodney Carrington CD that will make you roll over.

coiled2strike
10-22-2004, 12:57 PM
does it have the one about grandpa getting hit by the foul ball...that's cd is outrageous...i still play mine every now and then and still laugh out loud

Bull's-eye
10-22-2004, 01:15 PM
No, it has a thing about fat women, eating at a chinese restaurant and some other things I can't mention. :D

coiled2strike
10-22-2004, 01:41 PM
i haven't heard that one...i'll have to see about downloading that one...

UPanIN
10-22-2004, 02:03 PM
My take on this game. I am a RATTLER fan so this will be a little bias.

This game will be won or lost up front just as most games are. If the Rattlers O and D line play like they are capable of Bellville will be in trouble.

Given time martin is very productive throwing the ball. Sees the field very well and has a gun when needed. If pass is not there he gives teams fits with his 4.4 speed running and juking defenses. Bellville has some speed on D also so this will be a good match for martin's abilites.

Smith has 4.5 speed and very powerful. If the line gives him just a hint of a hole look out. Bellville will have to stop him behind the line or they will be in trouble all night. Smith can take this game over given the help from the O line and the mis-direction plays martin provides.

If Bellville is able to pass the ball the Rattlers will be in trouble. The Rattlers will need the D line in the backfield rushing throws so that the secondary can take over. If not Bellville will chew them up. The Rattlers didn't stop Rice's run so the pass came easy for the Raders.

So here's the deal. Either team. Stop the run, stop the pass, YOU WIN. After all this is FOOTBALL the GREATEST team sport ever invented.

By the way. Those of you still trying WHINING about the baseball game. I don't think the Bellville kids would want to do anything to martin in this game other than hard nose football. After all, having to think about an 87-90 MPH fastball that slips and buzzes just below your chin could keep you up at night this winter and next spring. Not that he would do something like that, good kid. Just a thought though.

Rattlermom
10-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard the board UPanIN! Great analysis of the game..

Although... all this baseball talk is really getting me anxious for it to get here!

Balboa
10-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Everybody is going to have a bias feeling about their home team if you didn't then you wouldn't be a true fan. Now the hard truth is that Bellville who I would love to win this game won't. They do not have enough weapons to hold off the steady attack of Navasota. Yes you can though in the Bellville beat Yoakum and they beat rice and try to figure it all out but that doesn't matter. It all matters what happens when the lights are turned on and which team shows up to play. Bellvile beat Sealy but sealy had more yards of offense. A good kicker can lose a game or in this case win one. Navasota is probably getting tired of hearing that they are going to fall apart so they will come out hard and make a point of Bellville
Navasota by 21

Sittin' Fastball
10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
DAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGG! Can Scotty really pump 90mph. That must be one heck of a pitching coach they just hired in Navasota:eek:

BIGGBROTHER
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
ANOTHER CUB FAN?

Sittin' Fastball
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
No that is my view from the box while I'm "sittin' fastball."

Bellville22
10-22-2004, 04:48 PM
..and about martin and smith driving down and scoring w/less than 4min left in the game up by 20...It is the opponents job to stop them...what do you want them to do...stop running hard...stop being a hardnose player just because a defense can't make the play...PEACE...LOVE...and POSITIVE PLAYS...

No they shouldn't stop running hard, they should be standing on the sideline!