PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Questions

White&Crimson
10-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Okay guys, bear with me...I have only recently really started watching baseball very much or paying attention to it (but what can you do when Fox is that only station you get?!). But I do know of the whole "Yankees spend 3X as much money as everyone else and buy all the good players" thing.
So my questions are:
1. Where does this money come from? The owner? Why don't other teams just shell out more money also? (Not that I think baseball players need to be paid more.)
2. Are there some good players who refuse to "sell out" to the Yankees? I know everyone is wondering about Beltran. But shouldn't there be players who are willing to say "Screw you Yankees. I grew up hating you and I won't play for you even if you do give me more money."?

White&Crimson
10-18-2004, 04:26 PM
*BUMP*
Come on? No one?

Keith7
10-18-2004, 04:31 PM
1. The Organization is the profitable franchise in baseball worldwide.. they sell out every game, and they are number 1 in all merchandise.. they stay this way because they stay on top by buying the best players year after year..

and

2. No there are no players who would refuse to play for the yankees.. as you know EVERYone has a price.. and if the yankees want someone they could afford them.. and its not just because of the money in all cases.. sometimes players want to play for a winner.. and if there was any team at player could go to and have a legitimate shot of making the world series year after year, it would be the yankees..

setex
10-18-2004, 04:33 PM
[i].
So my questions are:
1. Where does this money come from? The owner? Why don't other teams just shell out more money also? (Not that I think baseball players need to be paid more.)

2. Are there some good players who refuse to "sell out" to the Yankees? I know everyone is wondering about Beltran. But shouldn't there be players who are willing to say "Screw you Yankees. I grew up hating you and I won't play for you even if you do give me more money."? [/B]

1.Money comes from tickets, TV revenue and owner. Other teams do not have the TV market Yanks have.

2 Players have to go to highest bidder because of strong union. If they turn down 100 million, that lowers the next guy's contract

White&Crimson
10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks, I guess that makes it clear. Although I still like the idea of players saying "SCREW YOU YANKEES!" :D
It also occured to me that it was odd that they had SO many fans, but I guess there are a lot of people who want to root for a team that always wins.

mwynn05
10-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by White&Crimson
Thanks, I guess that makes it clear. Although I still like the idea of players saying "SCREW YOU YANKEES!" :D
It also occured to me that it was odd that they had SO many fans, but I guess there are a lot of people who want to root for a team that always wins. The Yankee's dont have al that many fan. To the best of my knowledge everyone outside of NYC hates the Yankees (with a few exceptions)

crzyjournalist03
10-18-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm thinking not EVERYBODY has their price...I really doubt you'd ever see Pedro Martinez in a Yankee uni...same goes for John Rocker...

Keith7
10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm thinking not EVERYBODY has their price...I really doubt you'd ever see Pedro Martinez in a Yankee uni...same goes for John Rocker...

do u think if the yankees offered pedro a 25 million dollar per year contract he would not sign???

of course he would sign.. he would be an idiot not to

the more realistic thing to say is that the Yankees would not sign pedro, not that pedro wouldnt sign w/ the yankees

kepdawg
10-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

A lot of the so called experts think Pedro will be wearing the pinstripes next season!

Bulldog_12
10-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey, Pedro would have to because he has to follow daddy's orders. And seeing as the Yankees are his daddy, he would have to go there if they told him to. :D

Keith7
10-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
A lot of the so called experts think Pedro will be wearing the pinstripes next season!

no the rangers are going to sign him!!!

at least i hope.. they just need a true ace to put them over the hump

White&Crimson
10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Another question: Why do the Red Sox batting helmets all look like they have survived a world war?

3afan
10-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by setex
1.Money comes from tickets, TV revenue and owner. Other teams do not have the TV market Yanks have.

2 Players have to go to highest bidder because of strong union. If they turn down 100 million, that lowers the next guy's contract

2 thats wrong ............. players do NOT have to go to highest bidder because of strong union ... its called free agency - they are free to sign with whoever they wish

the Yankees big advantage over everyone else is their local & regional TV contract