20. Canyon (7-0)
21. Wilmer-Hutchins (6-1)
22. Kennedale (5-1)
23. Dallas Madison (6-1)
24. Rusk (5-2)
25. Palestine (5-2)

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Matt, i almost never doubt you, but WO-S @ #2?? and No Ingleside?

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
depending on how we do against the Bye and then Sinton, does Ingleside make the top 25 this season?? hmmmm :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
depending on how we do against the Bye and then Sinton, does Ingleside make the top 25 this season?? hmmmm :thinking:

werent they in last week?

Macarthur
10-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Matt, I know I don't have much ground to stand on because Iowa Park lost this week, but I wanted to get your logic in dropping them out of the top 25.

You have 6 teams in the top 25 with 2 losses. I know IP lost but that still doesn't take away their real quality wins. Not to mention, they lost to a very good Vernon team at their house (Vernon's early loses were primarily due to huge numbers of injuries). Also, Vernon is a team that went into the quarterfinals last year and had many of those players back. I'm not trying to nit-pick at you, just trying to understand your thought process. Thanks.

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
werent they in last week? i'm not positive....but i dont think they were. i could be wrong though.....Ingleside isnt going to get any visibility and exposure unless we A: beat Sinton, or B: go a few rounds deep into the playoffs. people from all over the state know where Sinton is , and who they are (for very valid reasons of course).....you mention Ingleside and most say "who.....where??" we're the Ingleside Mustangs....we're over here....and we're on the move!! :wave:

Cameronbystander
10-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Either China Spring is too high or Cameron is too low. In their scrimage, I believe Cameron played at least even with them and Cameron is playing really well now. Also, Rosebud-Lott beat La Vega worse than China Spring did. So if an OK 2a team is as good or better than China Spring, I think Cameron is probably better.

theyoefnshow
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Cameron has received 0 respect on this poll from day 1 so I"m used to it by now.

Matthew328
10-18-2004, 11:49 AM
The teams with 2 losses lost to really good teams...IP lost to a good Vernon squad...but a Vernon squad that is 4-3.....

West Orange-Stark lost to Jasper and Bay City (a top 5 4A team)

Abilene Wylie lost to Aledo (a top 25 4A team and Decatur)

Sinton lost to Gregory-Portland (a top 10 4A team and Cuero)

Jasper lost to Kirbyville and and Port Neches-Groves who is 6-2 in 4A

Rusk lost by 1 to a good Madisonville squad and by 7 to Tyler Chapel Hill

Palestine lost to Jacksonville who is 6-1 in 4A and a top 20 team and to a strong Diboll squad...

While IP lost to a Vernon squad whose losses came against a struggling Wichita Falls team, a good Abilene Wylie team, and a bad 4A in Burkburnett....

IP really has no quality wins right now....Wichita Falls at the time was a quality win but they have fallen off the face of the earth, Gainesville is struggling..Wimberley may be the best win IP has and they are ranked what 9 in Region 4 which isn't as strong as Region 1...

Matthew328
10-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Scrimmages mean nothing....they are just that scrimmages.....99% of the time I put zero stock in scrimmages...China Spring may be a bit high though...I'll give you that

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Scrimmages mean nothing....they are just that scrimmages.....99% of the time I put zero stock in scrimmages...China Spring may be a bit high though...I'll give you that

can you comment on ingleside?

Macarthur
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The teams with 2 losses lost to really good teams...IP lost to a good Vernon squad...but a Vernon squad that is 4-3.....

West Orange-Stark lost to Jasper and Bay City (a top 5 4A team)

Abilene Wylie lost to Aledo (a top 25 4A team and Decatur)

Sinton lost to Gregory-Portland (a top 10 4A team and Cuero)

Jasper lost to Kirbyville and and Port Neches-Groves who is 6-2 in 4A

Rusk lost by 1 to a good Madisonville squad and by 7 to Tyler Chapel Hill

Palestine lost to Jacksonville who is 6-1 in 4A and a top 20 team and to a strong Diboll squad...

While IP lost to a Vernon squad whose losses came against a struggling Wichita Falls team, a good Abilene Wylie team, and a bad 4A in Burkburnett....

IP really has no quality wins right now....Wichita Falls at the time was a quality win but they have fallen off the face of the earth, Gainesville is struggling..Wimberley may be the best win IP has and they are ranked what 9 in Region 4 which isn't as strong as Region 1...

Don't mean to imply that the 2 loss teams don't belong. I'm sure they are deserving.

2 things:

While Vernon may have three losses, they spent the first half of their season with an epidemic of injuries. There were some games they has as many as 8 starters out.

I disagree that IP has no quality wins.

However, it's your list. Thanks.

Cameronbystander
10-18-2004, 01:22 PM
No argument about scrimmages. Cameron is averaging 40 points per game and has three shutouts. They held Manor to 25 points and LH let them score 50. In common oppoents I beliveve Cameron beat Fairfield worse than Marlin.

Cameron beat an undefeated Caldwell team that was ranked higher than them. Even though I live in Cameron, I have no biases one way or the other but I saw part of the Caldwell game and I was very impressed with them. They have an abundance of speed on both sides of the ball and Ryan Mullins is playing some real good football.

Things will have to go just right for them to go very far in the playoffs but for a small school that went 1 -9 last year to a 7 - 0 (and probably at the very least 9 - 1) this year, I think they deserve at least as much credit as Marlin and China Spring.

PS: I know the ratings are subjective and you do a great job. This is just another stinky opinion.

Doon
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I really like it the way it is.

c-town_balla
10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Cameron has 11 teams ahead of it with a loss

texasjeremy
10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Rusk in the Top 25?

Smash Mouthl
10-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Palestine lost to Rusk and Jacksonville. You said that they lost to diboll

Old Tiger
10-18-2004, 07:42 PM
It's all good c-town balla, btw who are you?

SintonFan
10-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Yall need to make your own polls folks. Stop bellyaching.:p

scrub c
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
sweeny should be on the list, they have won two straight

Stangster
10-19-2004, 04:54 PM
I wondered if Sweetwater beating Snyder would put them in the top 25, but I figured at least it would knock Snyder out.

What's the reasoning in rating Abilene Wylie so high, when they barely pulled out a squeeker against Sweetwater, who continues to be unrated?

big daddy russ
10-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Ingleside's good, but they're still a fringe team. I'd put them on the field with anybody in that second tier of teams, but that doesn't mean they're any better or worse than any of them.

CHSBaseball07
10-19-2004, 06:14 PM
dang...caldwell dropped outta the top 25 w/ one loss to the Cameron Yoe........dang oYe............oh well

swatersenior
10-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Stangster
I wondered if Sweetwater beating Snyder would put them in the top 25, but I figured at least it would knock Snyder out.

What's the reasoning in rating Abilene Wylie so high, when they barely pulled out a squeeker against Sweetwater, who continues to be unrated?

I was wondering the same thing because i mean i have alot of respect for wylie but they stood on equal ground w/ sweetwater and sweetwater is not in the top 25 and wylie is #8

SoulTaker_IP
10-20-2004, 12:43 PM
iowa park dropped out of the top 25.....
regardless on who we lost to or how it was, i see many teams that havent dropped out that lost as in jasper and wos, ( not mouthing, they are very good football teams) maybe we will turn some heads in the playoffs when we play at nuetral sites

GreenMonster
10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
I kinda agree with Soul Taker. It's kinda crappy to drop a team outta the top 25 from losing in a rivalry game. Especially a rivalry game against one of last season's Semi-Finalists after they had a week off to heal up. This was the first time all season Vernon had all 22 starters healthy.

Macarthur
10-20-2004, 01:23 PM
MOnster & Soultaker, if you will look at some earlier posts in this thread, I had that same discussion with Matt. His decision is based on the fact that he doesn't believe IP has any quality wins, at this point. He also doesn't consider Vernon's record misleading, as I do, based on how many people they have had out. Vernon is a better team than 4-3, plus, as you said, it's a rivalry game on Vernon's home field.

IP should be around 16-18, IMO. IF you look at the AP, they still have IP in the 12-14 range. It appears the AP didn't "overreact" as much as some folks did. But, this is Matt's list and he can do whatever he wants. I do agree that it was a bit of an overreaction to drop IP completely out of the top 25. The great thing about all of this is that it will ultimately be decided on the field.

lilt1506
10-20-2004, 08:10 PM
when is Silsbee going to make the top 25

Adidas410s
10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
The only team that looks to be ranked too high in my opinion is Marlin. I watched them against Graham and was VERY unimpressed...but many of you already know my thoughts about Graham! Marlin looked like a bad impersonation of Gainesville from last year. They try to run the "line up and then have coach call in the play once he can see what the defense is in" offense but they just arent very good at it. Their lines arent quick enough to get outside and block and they often "quit the play" before the QB has either handed off or taken off running...needless to say they made Graham's defense look GOOD!
Tank Smith was OK but overrated from what I have read, their QB could run well, but was not a great decision maker and any pass he threw looked like a wounded duck! Their defense played well but then again they only had to prep for 3 plays from Graham...and they still allowed 2 big runs right up the middle on the famous "42 counter" that Bourquin called AT LEAST 30 times in the game.
All in all, I just have a heard time putting a VERY undisciplined (based on what I saw that night) and highly unorganized team that high in the polls. They may be getting the wins but it sure ain't pretty! I was REALLY let down by type of football that I saw from Marlin...whether it was the worst game or not it was still lke watching a bunch of 8 yr olds playing soccer..."there goes the ball...everyone run over there!":D

mustang04
10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Stangster

exactly...i mean what more does sweetwater have to do to be in the top 25, even if we won the semi-finals this season..we STILL will be less than 25th going into the state game haha

its ok..itll just be alot better when ppl finally start to realize how good sweetwater really is and wonder why they were never ranked

thatboy
10-22-2004, 11:11 AM
you must have an enemy that coaches in Marlin or something. Out of all those teams in the top 10 you just have a problem with Marlin. We cant win every game by 40. Regardless of what u think about those players they haveNEVER lost a district game ,made it to state last year, and their gone make a strong run this year. I bet you're from a school that loses more than they win every year........I see you're from abilene. There is no real sports in Abilene. Every year teams from that area have perfect records and come play centex teams and get blew out.

Adidas410s
10-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by thatboy
you must have an enemy that coaches in Marlin or something. Out of all those teams in the top 10 you just have a problem with Marlin. We cant win every game by 40. Regardless of what u think about those players they haveNEVER lost a district game ,made it to state last year, and their gone make a strong run this year. I bet you're from a school that loses more than they win every year........I see you're from abilene. There is no real sports in Abilene. Every year teams from that area have perfect records and come play centex teams and get blew out.

Great intelligent post...no real sports in Abilene. Wow...so I guess my senior yr at Wylie ('01) when we went to the finals in football, girls basketball, tennis, won boys golf, won boys track W/O a relay team, and went to regional finals in baseball...we dont have any real sports. PLEASE try to make a post with at least SOME facts in it ok?

I didnt say Marlin sucks...I simply stated that based on what I saw this is my opinion and I wasnt impressed. Go back and read where I wrote "based on what I saw tonight" before making factless accusations...that and read up a little bit on the history of sports in Abilene and you just might learn something...there are MANY places with better athletics than CenTex and hopefully someday you will realize that Abilene is one of them!

Eagles52
10-23-2004, 01:12 AM
I think that West Columbia is a great team but with an identical record to Barbers Hill and the fact that we beat them...I would expect to be rated higher then that team despite not showing up to play last week, just wondering the logic to that

Hupernikomen
10-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by lilt1506
when is Silsbee going to make the top 25

They will be in top ten when they put a whooping on kirbyville.

westTXbest
10-23-2004, 11:24 PM
what is the deal? Some of the west Texas teams can beat half of this top 25.

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2004, 11:25 PM
That's why we have the playoffs. :)

CHSBaseball07
10-23-2004, 11:30 PM
No Caldwell...lol...our loss to Cameron just killed our chances w/ you huh matt?

sinton66
10-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
werent they in last week?

No, they weren't.

Week 7 Top 25

1. Jasper (5-1)
2. Decatur (6-0)
3. West Orange-Stark (3-2)
4. Cuero (6-0)
5. Gilmer (7-0)
6. Liberty Hill (5-1)