PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Vs Gonzales

Phil C
10-18-2004, 09:06 AM
One wonders if it would be good strategy to let Gonzales win wiht hopes that it would help Gonzales get into the playoffs so Cuero could go Division 2. Cuero would probably have a better chance to get a State Championship in Division 2 than Division 1. I know it won't happen though but still one wonders.
For example when Oklahoma played Nebraska for what was to determine the 1971 National Championship Oklahoma was winning 31 to 28 but Nebraskas was driving for what was to turn out to be the winning touchdown. Bud Wilkinson was the ABC comentatior and with about 31/2 minutes Nebraska was at the Oklahoma 20 yard line and he said "With the way the two offenses are moving and scoring it might actually be wise for Oklahoma to just let Nebraska score right now so they would have time to move down the field and get a score themselves to win the game." Nebraskas did score but there was only about one minute left on the clock and Oklahoma did not have time and tried desperation passes to no avail. Maybe Bud had the right strategy there. Of course looking back is more accurate than forward. Sometimes ridiculous suggestions are not so ridiculous maybe. :)

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Cuero all day long....BIG!!

Phil C
10-18-2004, 09:14 AM
I agree IHS. We will see if this very improbably ridiculous strategy would have been best though after the playoffs.

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 09:17 AM
i hear ya Phil....i mean...stranger things have taken place...but....i'm willin to bet that Cuero comes out and stomps Gonzales....especially after this past weeks mediocre performance against Luling.

veer option
10-18-2004, 10:24 AM
IHS,

Just wondering if you have seen any of these two teams play? It will be a good game. Gonzales is better than their record reflects. They have just turned the ball over a little too much.

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by veer option
IHS,

Just wondering if you have seen any of these two teams play? It will be a good game. Gonzales is better than their record reflects. They have just turned the ball over a little too much. nah, honestly i havent, but an aquaintance of mine coached at Gonzales last year, and i listen to them online sometimes.....

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
nah, honestly i havent, but a aquaintance of mine coached at Gonzales last year (hell..you might be him..you arent are you??), and i listen to them online sometimes.....

veer option
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
I bet your acquitance never told you anything bad about Gonzales.

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 10:37 AM
I bet your acquitance never told you anything bad about Gonzales. oh no...not at all...and i'm not saying Gonzales is a bad team at all.....i usually pull for them...i just think Cuero is gonna come out w/ something to prove after last week.

veer option
10-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Gonzales and Cuero is always a good game. Hopefully though the Apaches can pull this one out.

IHStangFan
10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Gonzales and Cuero is always a good game. Hopefully though the Apaches can pull this one out. if they are able to....it will be a huge upset...but heck, that'd be alright by me, LOL.

underware
10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Gonzo really needs a win to have a chance at a playoff spot. But against Cuero, it won't happen. Cuero will go DI this year. Gonzo's only win this year is with Edna. Sorry my friends in Edna and Gonzales. Maybe next year?

crabman
10-18-2004, 12:44 PM
There's something really wierd going on in Cuero right now. Everyone is kind of in a funk. Maybe that is the real curse of being #1. The coaches are all out of whack. The players are not fired up. Heck, even the cheerleaders didn't have any run-through signs for the guys this past week. Everybody just seems out of sync. One thing I do know. There is a lot of frustration building and with that I look for an explosion before long. I don't know who the whipping boy will be but somebody's gonna get it. We have beat the tough teams. We have struggled with some so-so teams. One of these teams coming up like Gonzales or Yoakum is going to catch us on one of those nights where we have an attitude and watch out! (I hope)

creditcard
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
i think you are right crabman....people are questioning the gobblers right now and i think pretty soon Cuero is gonna have a breakout game and hopefully prove to everyone that they are for real this year....hopefully it will be this week at home against those apaches

Bandera YaYa
10-18-2004, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crabman
[ Maybe that is the real curse of being #1. Cuero is rated #1???? On what poll is that???? (Just trying to keep up!) :D

bigpimpin
10-18-2004, 04:06 PM
They were ranked #1 and since they've kept winning people keep thinking that but they've dropped the Gobblers to #3, behind Decatur and West Orange-Stark.

creditcard
10-18-2004, 04:31 PM
so cuero is number 3 in the new ap????/

gobbler grad
10-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Cuero will win on Friday night, but I hope they have their heads on straight. If not it could be a long night for those Gobblers. They should not have to play so sloppy and struggle to get a touchdown. It makes it hard if they get behind. I don't think they should get behind, but you never know. Cuero has a outstanding team, but they need to play together as a team. Everyone needs to be fired up when they walk into Gobbler stadium Friday night and holla if u luv a gobbla.

GO MEAN GREEN
:clap: :clap:

Flourhead
10-18-2004, 07:09 PM
ttt

Gobbla2001
10-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Nah, crabman, the art classes are struggling with the run-through signs ha...

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Where'd someone get the new AP????

44INAROW
10-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Where'd someone get the new AP????

I know where they DIDN'T get it :hairpunk: :hairpunk:

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Awww. Don't feel bad. I did a search earlier & it pulled up the Abilene Reporter-News from 1998. Another one had Burnet. At least yours was from this year. :(