10-17-2004, 12:01 AM
NCAA Football Eligibility Rule Change

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/ncaa.html

MEMORANDUM
July 23, 2003

TO: High School Athletics Administrators

Associate Director of NCAA Membership Services
SUBJECT: Changes in Freshman Eligibility Requirements

You may be aware that the NCAA has increased its initial-eligibility rules; specifically, increasing the required number of high-school core courses from 13 to14. However, did you know Division I made an additional increase from 14 to 16?

The NCAA needs your help in communicating this very important information to prospective student-athletes and their parents, as well as high-school personnel, such as counselors and coaches.

Accompanying this letter is a number of informational flyers. Please distribute these flyers to your coaches, counselors, middle-school and junior-high personnel, or anyone who has contact with those students who may wish to participate in NCAA intercollegiate athletics.

Please feel free to make copies of the flyer.

The information outlined on the flyer also may be found at the NCAA Web site at www.ncaa.org or the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse Web site at www.ncaaclearinghouse.net.

Your assistance in sharing this information with parents, students, coaches and high-school personnel is an important part of the NCAA's educational efforts. Your help in preparing these young men and women for college is greatly appreciated.

If you have questions, comments or concerns, you may e-mail them to academics@ncaa.org or you may call me at 317/917-6222.

National Collegiate Athletic Association<
An association of more than 1,200 members serving the student-athlete Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT
NCAA INITIAL-ELIGIBILITY CHANGES
Did you know that the NCAA has increased the number of required core courses a student must complete in high school to be eligible to participate in college athletics?

CLASSES OF 2005, 2006 AND 2007
All student-athletes must complete 14 core courses to be eligible to participate in NCAA Division I or Division II sports. The additional course may be taken in any of these areas: English, mathematics, natural/physical science, social studies, foreign language, philosophy or nondoctrinal religion.

CLASS OF 2008
Division I: 16 core courses.

One of the additional courses MUST be in mathematics.

The other course may be in any area described above.

Division II: 14 core courses (no increase to 16).

FIND OUT MORE ON THE WEB
If you would like to read more about these increases, or to see the specific core-course breakdown, please visit one of the following Web sites:

www.ncaa.org | www.ncaaclearinghouse.net

fury900
10-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Please note the following correction to the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules. Section 1250 (i) (3): FOOTBALL PLAN should be amended as follows:

(i)SITE AND DAY OF GAME.

(3)Playoff Games. Unless mutually agreeable otherwise, the place for playing a playoff game shall be determined on a "home and home" basis for the past two football seasons (2001, 2002). The team that was the visiting team the last time the two teams met on a home field in a post-district playoff game may require the game be played at its home field. In case of disagreement between two teams who have not played a post-district playoff game during the past two football seasons, the game site shall be decided by a coin toss.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/fb_rule.html

AggieJohn
10-17-2004, 02:21 AM
so does that mean that a freshman has to complete 45 to 50 hours before they get to play

VWG
10-17-2004, 03:58 AM
I have an eligibility question.
What is the cutoff age for playing football? Meaning... if a kid turns 19 during the season is he ineligible?

sinton66
10-17-2004, 09:01 AM
No, if he turns 19 during the season he can finish it out. He's only ineligible if he turns 19 before the season starts. The cutoff date is September 1 of the current school year.

Here's a link:
Elgibility rules (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/manuals/foot/2-FB%20Gen_Elig_Rules.pdf)