PDA

View Full Version : INFO ON BUCCANEER STADIUM, CORPUS CHRISTI

olddawggreen
11-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Well guys, if it is Buccaneer Stadium for the Burnet-Sinton Game, heres the information on the staduim.

Address: Leopard Street at Rose Street.

Directions (from the Yahoo Get Local Map Page) from Burnet: Take Hwy. 281 from Burnet to San Antonio, continue south out of San Antonio on IH 37(141.1 miles)to Corpus Christi, TAKE THE LAWRENCE DRIVE/ NUECES BAY BLVD. EXIT, (EXIT # 1E), go 0.8 mile TURN RIGHT on Palm Street, go 0.1 mile, TURN RIGHT on Leopard Street, go 0.2 mile, Arrive at Leopard Street and Rose Street, LOOK UP SEE STADIUM, YOU MADE IT!

Stadium information (from the Texas High School Stadium Data Base): Buccaneer Stadium was opened in 1950. Seating capacity is 18,000, this is the largest stadium in the Corpus Christi area. It was the site of a 1998 playoff game between Calallen and La Marque that drew 23,000 people. For this game, they had to install temporary seats and had the bands sit on the track, it is one of only two stadiums in Corpus Christi built of concrete. (Wont blow away!)

Guys, being the 6th generation of my family to live in Burnet County and having lived both in Corpus Christi (born there) and Victoria, It is my opinion that the drive to Corpus is a much easier drive than the drive to Victoria. Its a straight shot south from Burnet on an interstate highway. San Antonio would be nice, but if I had to choose between Corpus or Victoria, I would definatly choose Corpus.

There are tons of things to do in Corpus if you plan to stay over after the game. Dog track is just down the street from stadium, Texas State Aquerium, Lexington, great seafood, (one of my favorites for steaks and seafood (Uses the recipe for fried shrimp from the famous old Ship Ahoy Resturant) is the Astor which is a little further west on Leopard Street past the race track. The Astor is older and has been there as long as I can remember, this is where you will find many locals eating, if you want the places the tourist eat, head to the water front, there are some great places down there on Water Street and the T Heads (I think Pappaduex sp?, Water Street Oyster Bar ect. ect. ect., over on South Padre Drive you will find a really good Sea Food Resturant called Two Georges, this resturant is styled after the famous Kings Inn on Baffin Bay below Kingsville, it searves family style seafood by the platter and is the next best thing to the Kings Inn! There are tons of other good places to eat. (Being a good Petroleum Landman I plan my trips around my meals!)

There are many places to stay near the staduim, La Quenta, Holiday Inn, Motel 6, Ramada, or anything you want down on the waterfront.

So if we have to go to Corpus, lets just go, play a good game and have a great weekend. :) :) :)

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: olddawggreen ]</small>

bulldogvet85
11-23-2003, 11:46 AM
oh man is it really gonna be there? i was hoping for the alamodome. SO is the a for sure thing?

pirate4state
11-23-2003, 12:07 PM
That's the spirit Olddawggreen!! Come down and enjoy the sites. Hope everyone has a safe drive.

29x281
11-23-2003, 12:11 PM
San Antonio should have been selected; it was the right thing to do for everyone involved. Many Burnet fans simply won't be able to make the trip.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Heh, heh.....

http://rickychalmers.brinkster.net/Graphics/Emoticons/violin.gif

olddog73
11-23-2003, 12:30 PM
My nephew is on the Burnet team, he said that when they got back to the locker room last night the coaches told them that the game would be played in Corpus on Friday.

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

olddog73
11-23-2003, 12:36 PM
29x281:
San Antonio should have been selected; it was the right thing to do for everyone involved. Many Burnet fans simply won't be able to make the trip.I agree 29/281, but heck, if its a done deal, lets make the best of it. I hope as many Burnet fans as possible can make adjustments so they can make the game. Eat all your turkey on Thursday and bring a radio for the Texas-AM game and lets turn out as many as possible to support our team. It will be worth it. Having a nephew on the team, its not an option.

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

3afan
11-23-2003, 12:36 PM
29x281:
San Antonio should have been selected; it was the right thing to do for everyone involved. Many Burnet fans simply won't be able to make the trip.yup, its a long trip, bummer ............. but i disagree with your assessment that playing in SA was the right thing to do for all involved. apparantly sinton used the site-selection process to select a place play where they thought they had the best chance to win - or a better chance to win. yes, playing in SA would have been more neutral and about the same trip for both teams but why should Sinton agree to that if they could play in a place that might give them an edge, even just a mental one? any team would do that and you can't fault them for that IMO.

29x281
11-23-2003, 12:42 PM
OK, well if that's how you feel then don't complain next year when Sinton has to travel to Waco.

Have fun at the Dr. Pepper Museum.

turbostud
11-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Isnt it only fair since Sinton went to San Marcos last year. I dont remember Sinton fans complaining about that drive (or Burnet fans).

29x281
11-23-2003, 01:19 PM
San Marcos was agreed upon last year by officials from Burnet and Sinton. There was no coin flip last year except to decide who would wear what uniforms/sit on which side.

San Marcos isn't that much closer to Burnet than Sinton.

Corpus, however, is further for Burnet than the town of Sinton itself. Why not just play in Sinton? We'll pass Sinton on the way to the game.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 01:29 PM
That'd be ok with me, but most of you would have to watch from the parking lot.