PDA

View Full Version : Worst call EVER!!!

bigpimpin
10-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Cuero-Luling game, in the 4th quarter, Luling has the ball at about the 20 after a botched snap on the punt. It's 1st down I believe and the Luling QB drops back, rolls to the right and gets hit. Stays up, gets hit again, stays up and gets hit again, spins around and throws the ball 20 yds backwards. No whistles are blown, but nobody really moves. The ball rolls over to the Luling sideline and the Luling coach screams and points to the ball...nobody moves until 2 Cuero players and 1 Luling player run to, Cuero gets there first, picks it up and runs all the way and nobody else moves. There's a flag on the field and nobody said what it was for. The TD doesn't count, nobody gets an explanation and the crowd is furious. Next 2 plays the Luling QB runs both times and scores TD. Final score 21-9....should have been 28-3....:eek:

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2004, 11:29 PM
backwards pass that is not caught is a live ball. The team getting possesion of the ball should get it, UNLESS the flag was for intentional grounding, which i dont see how .. .

Chopblock
10-15-2004, 11:32 PM
you are correct this ia a backwards pass and may be advanced
my question is this Was any yardage marked off due to the flag?
Did the Referee happen to signal with a fist out for an Inadvertant Whistle?

bd62
10-15-2004, 11:34 PM
strange things happen in luling.

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bd62
strange things happen in luling.

like watermelon thumping. . .

gobbler#1fan
10-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes one of the worst calls ever. i dont even think that ref knew what was goin on, and i think he is still wonderin what is goin on. that should of been a score for cuero but these refs didnt know what was goin on. by the way does anyone know what the flag was for anyway? i truly dont and i was sittin rigth there watchin. kyle knoack shoul of had a touchdown anjd cuero should of won 28-3 but a win is a win so yea. but i still think it was a BAD CALL!!!

Old Green
10-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by gobbler#1fan
Yes one of the worst calls ever. i dont even think that ref knew what was goin on, and i think he is still wonderin what is goin on. that should of been a score for cuero but these refs didnt know what was goin on. by the way does anyone know what the flag was for anyway? i truly dont and i was sittin rigth there watchin. kyle knoack shoul of had a touchdown anjd cuero should of won 28-3 but a win is a win so yea. but i still think it was a BAD CALL!!! It was a bad call and there were others. Cuero was flagged 9 times for 100 yards in penalities.:mad:

gobbler#1fan
10-15-2004, 11:41 PM
but why was the flag thrown in this certain play? what was the call?

gobblerfan02
10-15-2004, 11:41 PM
NO YARDAGE WAS MARKED OFF!...just a loss of down, it was so weird, and with no explanations...it should have been a touchdown for cuero because it appeared that the ref that threw the flag wanted an intentional grounding call, but i think the other refs corrected him and tried to save the zebra's dumb thinking of throwing the flag in the first place, you're right, the score should have been 28-3, but still, Cuero didn't show up tonight.

crabman
10-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Actually the play was as follows, Luling had the ball on Cuero's 5 yard line. Quarterback drops back to pass to about the 20. He is hit and spun around by two players and is in the grasp when he chunks the ball 15 yards BACKWARDS!! A ref throws a flag and motions his hand like intentional grounding. Cuero runs to the 35 and picks it up and runs it in for a touchdown.
Final ruling on the field: INADVERTANT WHISTLE. Play should have been dead where it was. Either at the 20 and ball to Luling or at the 35, first and 10 for Cuero the other way. Instead they returned the ball to line of scrimmage and waved off the flag. Even the chain officials on the sidelines said that was just a plain stupid call.
The crazies seem to be following Cuero around this year.
Regardless, this was by far Cuero's worst played game of the year.

gobbler#1fan
10-15-2004, 11:43 PM
True i know that they can play better than what they have been! Every week it seems like they get worse and worse. i dont understand what is goin on. but a win is a win so GO GOBBLERS!!!

bigpimpin
10-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Cuero really didn't play as good as they should have. They play a little worse every week starting from week 2. The tackling was better than it has been but the big hosses up front have to open up them hole. Luling might have the smallest defense in the district and if they can't move them, something's wrong. I agree with you, the way they're playing, the second round is a reach, much less state. I still think they need a loss, to wake them up and realize that they can't keep playing like they are and expect to win every game. Watch out for Yoakum, they're a scrappy team and I think they'll humble the Gobblers.

bigpimpin
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the details crabman

Old Tiger
10-16-2004, 01:18 AM
I'm going to say the pass interference they called against me tonight....lol

TXMike
10-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by crabman

Final ruling on the field: INADVERTANT WHISTLE. Play should have been dead where it was. Either at the 20 and ball to Luling or at the 35, first and 10 for Cuero the other way. Instead they returned the ball to line of scrimmage and waved off the flag. Even the chain officials on the sidelines said that was just a plain stupid call.
The crazies seem to be following Cuero around this year.
Regardless, this was by far Cuero's worst played game of the year.

I was not there but tried to decipher what happened from the various descriptions here. If the ball was thrown backwards and it was not because the QB was getting slung around as he tried to throw it forward, then it would have been a backward pass. But whenever a QB is in the grasp of a defender we have to be real careful and generally rule forward pass if there is any doubt at all about what caused the ball to go backwards.

That being said, if it was backwards but the ref ruled forwards and blew the whistle, then you have an inadvertent whistle. The correct enforcement for an IW in this situation is to give offense the choice of taking ball where possession was lost (i.e. where he threw ball from) or replaying the down from the previous spot, i.e. a "do over." Sounds like they replayed the down although some are saying they actually moved to the next down?

crabman
10-16-2004, 11:09 AM
After the boys watched film this morning, we found out that the ball actually started out on the 8 yard line. After the play, the refs counted the down and advanced the ball 3 yards for some unknown reason to the 5. One of our players heard two refs talking later in the game that in retrospect, it was a wrong call. There just wasn't anything they could do about it at the time.

creditcard
10-16-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah your right crabman.....they gave Luling 3 yards which was funny.....we were all on the sideline wondering what was going on.....that was crazy

Panther Ross
10-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Whatever yall think that is bad, when we were playing HF the punt returner called a fair catch, caught it, all of our players saw him wave his hand so they stopped, caught tried to run and DID! He got 20 yrds. down the field before anyone could catch him, talk about some of the most furious people I have ever seen our coaches went insane.

creditcard
10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
yeah thats a lot worse than taking away a touchdown and possibly costing us the game....:hand:

Panther Ross
10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Yeah funny because they scored on that drive and got the momentum from that return.:hand: