PDA

View Full Version : Vernon 24 Iowa Park 21

Chief Woodman
10-15-2004, 10:17 PM
A 31 yard field goal with 14 seconds left into a 20+ MPH wind puts Vernon on top

Chief Woodman
10-15-2004, 10:43 PM
ttt

pero chato
10-15-2004, 10:56 PM
This is a bit of an upset to everyone but the Lions. Way to go Vernon!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Vernon played a great game tonight defeating previously unbeaten Iowa Park at home. Vernon returned most of their injured players tonight and it showed as the Lions who fell behind 21-7 going into the half, made great half time adjustments and dominated the second half with a big dose of ball control wing-T offense. With the score tied at 21 Vernon took the ball from their own six yard line with over 8 minutes left to play in the 4th. They marched the field going 20 plays and converting 6 third downs to the Iowa Park 14 yardline where Andy Bell kicked a 31 yard field goal in about a 30 mile per hour wind for the victory with 14 seconds left to play. What a game the Lions played tonight. With all those starters back this team looked much better than in weeks past.

Iowa Park although they lost also played a very good game with very few penalties. Swenson ran, passed and blocked well the entire game. The Hawks may have had more fans at the game than the home team. That much support tonight. The Hawks have a heck of a team and they just came up 3 short tonight. As always, a hard fought football game between two rivals.

Da Mules
10-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Z, I guess your O-line showed up to play. Congrats Lions.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Z, I guess your O-line showed up to play. Congrats Lions.

They got some starters back from injury and yes, they looked much better. Had some very long sustained drives against IP. Vernon did not break any long runs tonight. They did hit about a 45 yard TD pass, but no one hit wonders tonight. All 4-5 yards and a cloud of dust. Thanks and yes, the crowd was very excited to get back to form.

thumptbh
10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
wow great game

good job lions

LH Panther Mom
10-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Wow! What a win, Lions! Good job!

VERNONLION#1
10-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Wow! What a win, Lions! Good job!

Thanks, LHPanther Mom sure are glad we got back to our style of football. One heck of a game. Hey,Z I guess all the IP posters are eating there crow right now. Hey Vet any good games in your area tonight. Go LIONS

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Thanks, LHPanther Mom sure are glad we got back to our style of football. One heck of a game. Hey,Z I guess all the IP posters are eating there crow right now. Hey Vet any good games in your area tonight. Go LIONS

I don't know about the IP posters. I think they knew it would be a tough game. And IP really played pretty good so I'm not sure that they will be eating too much crow. They have to concentrate on beating Graham now.

Our district is going to be a shootout. If Vernon and Graham can both win next week it would set up another really big game between the two. The only thing is that I still feel like IP will give Graham more than they can handle.

GWOOD
10-16-2004, 12:54 AM
What does your district standings look like now after Week 2?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
What does your district standings look like now after Week 2?

Graham (1-0) The DI probable representative
Vernon (1-0)
Iowa Park (1-1)
Breckenridge (1-1)
Wichita Falls Hirschi (0-2)

Next weeks Games
Vernon @ Hirschi
Graham and Breck (I think)

Following Week
Graham @ Vernon
IP and Hirschi (I think)

Final Week
Vernon @ Breckenridge
IP and Graham (I think)

VWG
10-16-2004, 09:58 AM
hmmmm... seems as if the Lions are putting things together.

And to think all the people about 2-3 weeks ago that were doubting the Lions. Hate to say I told you so, but I knew that Vernon would get back on track.
Remember, pre-district is just to work out the kinks in the team. District is where you shore up your offense and defense and prepare to make the playoffs, and in Vernon's case to make another long playoff run.
Good Luck to the Lions.
Vernon now has two tough games left with Graham and Breckenridge. They will dominate Hirschi.
Is Vernon at Breck or at home against the Buckaroos?

Another thing... if Iowa Park had problems with Vernon's running game, then they will have problems with Graham. Not as much counter plays but Graham has the "beef" to play smash mouth against IP.

VERNONLION#1
10-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by VWG
hmmmm... seems as if the Lions are putting things together.

And to think all the people about 2-3 weeks ago that were doubting the Lions. Hate to say I told you so, but I knew that Vernon would get back on track.
Remember, pre-district is just to work out the kinks in the team. District is where you shore up your offense and defense and prepare to make the playoffs, and in Vernon's case to make another long playoff run.
Good Luck to the Lions.
Vernon now has two tough games left with Graham and Breckenridge. They will dominate Hirschi.
Is Vernon at Breck or at home against the Buckaroos?

Another thing... if Iowa Park had problems with Vernon's running game, then they will have problems with Graham. Not as much counter plays but Graham has the "beef" to play smash mouth against IP.

VWG I think it was you that kept telling us to be patient with our Lions that they would gel when District rolled and that apparently was the case last night. We had the ball over 9 min. and 21 plays on that last drive that set up the field goal. We play Breckenridge there on Nov.5 Are you going to try and make that one?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Yes, IP will have problems stopping the Graham offense. Vernon seemed to pick up a lot of yards on 1st down and they found themselves in 3rd and short many times in the second half. Should be interesting the next couple of weeks.

fury900
10-16-2004, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
[B]Graham (1-0) The DI probable representative
Vernon (1-0)
Iowa Park (1-1)
Breckenridge (1-1)

5-3A

Graham
10/22/2004 @ Vernon
11/05/2004 Iowa Park
Iowa Park
10/29/2004 @ Wichita Falls Hirschi
11/05/2004 @ Graham

Vernon
10/22/2004 @ Wichita Falls Hirschi
10/29/2004 Graham
11/05/2004 @ Breckenridge

WF Hirschi
10/22/2004 @ Vernon
10/29/2004 Iowa Park

hawkfan65
10-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Okay what was up with the refs. Okay Vernon did play a good game but in the 3rd quarter they had a late hit on swenson and some how got the ball and no ref called it even though swen got hurt nothing. O and also we recoverd the ball when they fumbled clearly and the refs gave it to vernon just a question I have but good job vernon and great job hawks keep your heads held high and we can come back and win the rest

VWG
10-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by fury900
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
[B]Graham (1-0) The DI probable representative
Vernon (1-0)
Iowa Park (1-1)
Breckenridge (1-1)

5-3A

Graham
10/22/2004 @ Vernon
11/05/2004 Iowa Park
Iowa Park
10/29/2004 @ Wichita Falls Hirschi
11/05/2004 @ Graham

Vernon
10/22/2004 @ Wichita Falls Hirschi
10/29/2004 Graham
11/05/2004 @ Breckenridge

WF Hirschi
10/22/2004 @ Vernon
10/29/2004 Iowa Park

I think you left out Breckenridge playing Graham before Vernon and Graham play in Vernon.

VWG
10-17-2004, 03:54 AM
Just curious... but how did the Vernon & Hawk freshman and JV games go?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan65
Okay what was up with the refs. Okay Vernon did play a good game but in the 3rd quarter they had a late hit on swenson and some how got the ball and no ref called it even though swen got hurt nothing. O and also we recoverd the ball when they fumbled clearly and the refs gave it to vernon just a question I have but good job vernon and great job hawks keep your heads held high and we can come back and win the rest

Hawkfan65 you realize that your the only Hawk poster that even showed up and made a comment on the game? That surprises me. I don't remember the hit on Swenson. But the Vernon fumble was a fumble. I was watching through binoculars and it clearly came out. From what I understand a ref blew the whistle before it came out and before he was actually down. Bad call. At least the refs met and discussed what happened. If in fact the ref did blow the play dead Vernon should have retained the possession. We all realize that there will be some bad calls. Is that the reason that IP lost? The answer is no. The reason is that the Hawk defense couldn't stop the Lion's on that last drive that took over 9 minutes and went 21 plays. The loss was due to that one drive. Had Vernon not went ahead on the field goal and the game went to OT, I'm confident that Vernon would have won the game anyway. They had the mo. They would have scored 14 unanswered points, the Lions shut out the Hawks in the 2nd half, the Lions forced a change in the Hawk offensive formations (leaving the spread and going to the single wing) and the Hawk defense was tired.

Vernon deserved this win and out played the Hawks. Now with that being said, I still think the Hawks have a great team. I'll be interested to see how well they do against Graham. Same with Vernon, I want to see how well Vernon can run against the Graham defense.

The Vernon coach said in the paper that he expects to see IP again in the quarter finals. (Of course Vernon has to make teh playoffs first). But I think he meant it as a huge compliment for the Hawks. In other words, he feels like the Hawks are the best team that he has seen this year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I think you left out Breckenridge playing Graham before Vernon and Graham play in Vernon.

Graham's secondary let Hirschi make some big pass plays. I hope they get that fixed before Breckenridge this Friday. Un upset win by Breck would throw this whole playoff thing into a wreck!

GreenMonster
10-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I'd love to blame the referees for the loss Friday night in Vernon but the fact is IP couldn't stop the Lions in the fourth quarter. I agree that the referees probably made the right decision to replay the down on the inadvertant whistle. I also feel that the inadvertant wistle played a large roll in the Lion TD on the next play, as all of the ref's were scared to blow the play dead too soon. I personally thought the kid was down and the ref on the Hawk sideline was waving his arms like the play was over but he had not blown his wistle. Heads up play by the Hall kid. I thought the game was well played and that the referees really did a good job overall. I can point out a couple of bad calls made against Vernon as well such as the phantom interference call to give IP a first down. I congratulate the Lions on EARNING the victory in the fourth quarter. I can remember several years ago and the saying in Vernon was: Lion Express, Nothing Less! Hope to see you guys again in the playoffs and may District 5-3A dominate Region I.

Ktulu345
10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Hawkfan65 you realize that your the only Hawk poster that even showed up and made a comment on the game? That surprises me. I don't remember the hit on Swenson. But the Vernon fumble was a fumble. I was watching through binoculars and it clearly came out. From what I understand a ref blew the whistle before it came out and before he was actually down. Bad call. At least the refs met and discussed what happened. If in fact the ref did blow the play dead Vernon should have retained the possession. We all realize that there will be some bad calls. Is that the reason that IP lost? The answer is no. The reason is that the Hawk defense couldn't stop the Lion's on that last drive that took over 9 minutes and went 21 plays. The loss was due to that one drive. Had Vernon not went ahead on the field goal and the game went to OT, I'm confident that Vernon would have won the game anyway. They had the mo. They would have scored 14 unanswered points, the Lions shut out the Hawks in the 2nd half, the Lions forced a change in the Hawk offensive formations (leaving the spread and going to the single wing) and the Hawk defense was tired.

Vernon deserved this win and out played the Hawks. Now with that being said, I still think the Hawks have a great team. I'll be interested to see how well they do against Graham. Same with Vernon, I want to see how well Vernon can run against the Graham defense.

This is all true. Congratulations to Vernon on a great game, and hopefully we'll be seeing you in the playoffs.

VERNONLION#1
10-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Just curious... but how did the Vernon & Hawk freshman and JV games go?

Hey VWG, I think that the freshman(Vernon) beat IP freshman and our JV lost to there JV.

VERNONLION#1
10-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'd love to blame the referees for the loss Friday night in Vernon but the fact is IP couldn't stop the Lions in the fourth quarter. I agree that the referees probably made the right decision to replay the down on the inadvertant whistle. I also feel that the inadvertant wistle played a large roll in the Lion TD on the next play, as all of the ref's were scared to blow the play dead too soon. I personally thought the kid was down and the ref on the Hawk sideline was waving his arms like the play was over but he had not blown his wistle. Heads up play by the Hall kid. I thought the game was well played and that the referees really did a good job overall. I can point out a couple of bad calls made against Vernon as well such as the phantom interference call to give IP a first down. I congratulate the Lions on EARNING the victory in the fourth quarter. I can remember several years ago and the saying in Vernon was: Lion Express, Nothing Less! Hope to see you guys again in the playoffs and may District 5-3A dominate Region I.

Ok there were bad calls on both sides. But in the end Vernon was ahead on scoreboard. As for the playoffs and I know its early but I think that our district will be represented well. Go LIONS and I wish the Hawks luck.

Macarthur
10-18-2004, 10:51 AM
As usual, a hard fought game between these two teams. Two major factors in this game. IP driving the ball mid-3rd. Moving the ball well and appears they are going in to score and go ahead 28-7. That could have put it away. Instead IP fumbles and Vernon recovers. Vernon driving in 4th for game tieing touchdown. Vernon fumbles and refs blow play dead and give ball back to Vernon. Those two plays, IMO, were the key plays of the game. They both went Vernon's way and they went on to win. It's amazing how you have two teams that are very close and are playing very hard, that it's generally going to come down to turnovers. That's what happened here. No sour grapes here. Vernon earned it.

One thing that I thought at the beginning of the year that would hurt the Hawks. They are light up the middle on D. They are quick, but small. That really came into play Friday. I thought they might have problems with a power running game and they did. They will need to work on it because Graham will try to do the same thing.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2004, 01:02 PM
macarthur: Good assessment. Those turnovers were gamebreakers. I don't know that Ip would have scored on the drive that they fumbled, because they were still on their end of the field, which consequently gave Vernon a short field inwhich they scored off of the turnover. Vernon's best defense was the offense limiting the Swenson attack. Just having the offense keep teh ball away from him was the best defense. He is such a good runner and passer. He rarely threw a bad pass all night. One thing I noticed after half-time was that Vernon took out the two 300 lbs Defensive tackles and replaced them with smaller quicker versions, which seemed to have made a difference. There were able to get they draw play which was tearning Vernon up in the first half and they seemed to contained Swenson better than the slower biggers linemen.

One note: This was the best game that I have seen Vernon play this year. I thought IP looked very good too. Of course I went and watched them play old high and have been very impressed. But they did have a weakness against the run inside, which will be a problem against Graham.

GreenMonster
10-18-2004, 01:07 PM
both of you are right, 11 men in the box only got IP passed on for a td by Vernon. Must teach d-line to create piles and keep lb's free to run. My opinion on this matter find the biggest 3 kids you can and tell them to fall down every play. Forces the offense to go outside.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
both of you are right, 11 men in the box only got IP passed on for a td by Vernon. Must teach d-line to create piles and keep lb's free to run. My opinion on this matter find the biggest 3 kids you can and tell them to fall down every play. Forces the offense to go outside.

Graham has the one slant pass that they tend to throw about once a game. Other than that it is right off the tackle all night long.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Was there a #3 lb for IP. I think that was his #. An
yway, he did a great job and I noticed he had a lot of tackles on the night. Anyone from IP know how Brian Love is doing at TSU?

Hawks83
10-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Brian Love is doing well at Tarleton. I've seen him at most of IP's games this year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Hawks83
Brian Love is doing well at Tarleton. I've seen him at most of IP's games this year.

He was a stud for sure. I also saw him play at the Greenbelt Bowl and he tore those fools up.

GreenMonster
10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Love was a man amongst boys in hs. Good kid too. I know one of his sisters and his oldest brother (2 time all-state dl). We miss him dearly, he was our muscle the past 2 years. #3 is of all things the band director's kid, lol. Great player for his size, has a real nose for the football. He is in many of the stops for our undersized stunt happy defense.

LMWR87
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Love is red shirting this year, as for #3 thats grant miller hes a very good lb for his size very quick and strong and not scared to give up his body