PDA

View Full Version : New BCS Controversy this year...

big daddy russ
10-15-2004, 08:48 AM
We're going to have yet another year with at least three teams going undefeated and at the top of the rankings.

If USC gets past Arizona State this weekend, the only team with half a shot of beating them the rest of the way is Notre Dame. But the Irish haven't looked too good lately.

Third-ranked Miami has the best shot at going unbeaten out of all the top teams. Virginia, VaTech and NC State will be challenges, but the 'Canes completely outclass everyone on that slate with the exception of Virginia.

Up to number four, Auburn gets Georgia on The Plains on Nov. 13th and then travels to Tuscaloosa (which isn't really an away game... the Auburn fans will show up in herds for that game) to play their archrivals to close out the regular season. Only a trip to the SEC Championship could spoil their year, provided that Tennessee's Ainge comes back with revenge in his eyes. You saw what he did to UGA last week.

Purdue still has to go through the heart of the Big 10 lineup, with a huge game against Wisconsin this week. They also have underacheiving top-5 teams Michigan and Ohio State:rolleyes: along with powerhouse Iowa and a Northwestern squad that shocked the Buckeyes.

Finally, Virginia plays three more signature games. This week they go to Tallahassee, then close out this three-game sweep with Maryland and Miami at home. To close out the year, they play Virginia Tech in Blacksburg.

I think USC, Miami, OU and Auburn all go undefeated and that 10th ranked Utah goes the distance as well. While it's a long shot, it could happen and hopefully bust the BCS once again. It would be awesome to have two National Champs again this year. Then maybe Myles Brand might finally cave to the pressure of a playoff system.

What does everyone else think will happen?

dawgmom
10-15-2004, 08:57 AM
I don't know about your predictions. I don't follow most of those teams too closely. But, I do wish there was a playoff system for college ball. It just makes more sense! Imagine if the Texas state champs was decided like the BCS champ! It just doesn't work!

tmac
10-15-2004, 10:13 AM
watchin their game against the cards last night im not so sure the canes can go the distance, against v tech since their qbs scrambling ways may hurt the canes like the cards freshman qb last night plus v tech in my opinon is better overall than a overachieving louisville team that played their hearts out only to be the victim of a cane comeback

big daddy russ
10-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by tmac
watchin their game against the cards last night im not so sure the canes can go the distance, against v tech since their qbs scrambling ways may hurt the canes like the cards freshman qb last night plus v tech in my opinon is better overall than a overachieving louisville team that played their hearts out only to be the victim of a cane comeback
The Canes also played a lot of nickel last night. Having six or seven men in coverage and, at least for part of the game, your safeties playing two deep hurt their run defense. Louisville passes to set up the run, and they were compensating for that. LeFors had a whale of a game, as did the Louisville receivers, and that got them ahead early. But put Berlin in the shotgun and it's memories of the old blue and orange days back in The Swamp... back when he was good. He's still one of the best in the nation when he's comfortable.

tmac
10-15-2004, 10:34 AM
canes are great but i dont see them undefeated at years end

raider red 2000
10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
i dont like the bcs....it causes problems, but i like the fact that we have somehing to complain about. if there was only one champion and they were by far the best would that be fun. i am sure that we could fin other arguements, but i like the fact that there isnt a college playoff...people saying can you imagine what it would be like if this team played that team....it is great.

my dad used to play in a small town...they are class A today back in the 60's they were class B. they one regionals and could not go any further....he enjoys talking about his team and how good they were. he likes thinking about how they might have matched up against other teams. imagaination is great.

also, if there were a bowl system it would mean more big companies trying to corrupt the game. football is a game, it is a great game. i think that a playoff would not help the sport, just possibly the companies that would ahve their names all over it.

just my two cents.