PDA

View Full Version : Officiating????

dawgmom
10-15-2004, 08:03 AM
What is up with the officials this year? Has anyone else noticed they don't seem to be "with it"? I mean, we have had some that appear to know NOTHING about football except that they have a yellow hanky and it is not for blowing their noses! Some of them just don't seem too bright! Sorry to any that may be on this board, but GEEZ!!!!!!

Cameronbystander
10-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Officails are just like moms and dads, some are better than others and some have more experience than others. If your problem is with the lower classification games, just remember that one or two officials with less experience are assigned to these games so that they get the experience necessary to call the Friday night games.

Also, every chapter is looking for good people. Go join them and call. It's a lot harder than you think but on the other hand it doesn't pay much. BUT the people doing it do so because they love football and especially high school football.

dawgmom
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
I know there are a lot of really good ones out there, but it just seems like this year we have seen quite a few that are very inexperienced. I thought that maybe those officiating the freshman/JV games were basically "in training". I wish I could be an official but bad knees won't allow it. I think it would be fun most of the time. I know there would be times I would wonder if it was worth it, but for the most part, it would be fun.

Cameronbystander
10-15-2004, 08:41 AM
The referee in my crew is well past 60 and had a hip replacement done in the last year. I have bad knees and at 50 I am the youngest on our crew. Good knees and speed help when you are on the wings but having a good crew and being in the right position is just as important.

Our crew has over 100 years of experience. All of our crew work with the younger guys on Thursday.

dawgmom
10-15-2004, 08:44 AM
How many women officiate football games?

Cameronbystander
10-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Not very many. There are more and more in basketball and baseball. There are a few scattered around in football but I honestly can't see why they couuldn't do football if they wanted to.

dawgmom
10-15-2004, 08:52 AM
I may have to look into this further! The only thing is if I was an official, I wouldn't be able to watch my kids play! Maybe after they graduate...hmmmmm.....I will have to think about this!

HornetMom
10-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
The referee in my crew is well past 60 and had a hip replacement done in the last year. I have bad knees and at 50 I am the youngest on our crew. Good knees and speed help when you are on the wings but having a good crew and being in the right position is just as important.

Our crew has over 100 years of experience. All of our crew work with the younger guys on Thursday.

And thanks to people like you and your crew, we are able to get out and enjoy HS football. Yes, I am guilty of getting on the case of refs at times, but I do applaud you and your fellow refs for being out there, week after week. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TXMike
10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
We have 2 lady officials in our Chapter. One is a rookie and the other has 2 years experience. They do as well as the males at the same experience level.

Different Chapters are different but in ours I feel strongly that we do a better job now than we have in years. Our training program is tighter, our oversight is better, and our interaction with the schools is better.

If all the problems you are perceiving are from officials from the same Chapter then perhaps your coach should speak to them.

tmac
10-15-2004, 10:05 AM
refs are refs they see some but not all cant blame them 4 not bein perfect

District303aPastPlayer
10-15-2004, 05:54 PM
my dad, a ref is, in my opinion, a good official. hell he threw a flag on me. lol. he is one fo the few 40 year olds that can keep up with a full speed 16-18 year old running back up the sideline.