PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Point's Johnson dedicates himself to football

Keith7
10-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Pilot Point's Johnson dedicates himself to football

06:00 PM CDT on Thursday, October 14, 2004

PILOT POINT – It didn't take Jarail Johnson long to make an impact on the Pilot Point football program. He set a school record with 370 rushing yards in his first start at tailback last season.

Then he didn't match that total in the rest of the games combined.

Johnson admits now that he wasn't focused on football. He considered himself a basketball player just passing the time in the fall. He alienated his teammates with his selfishness. Needless to say, Johnson caused quite a bit of frustration for coach G.A. Moore.

"We butted heads a couple of times – a lot of times actually," Johnson said. "I tried to avoid him as much as possible."
High Schools

It's time to map out a new game plan

The only people Johnson avoids these days are the ones trying to tackle him. He decided during the off-season to dedicate himself to help Pilot Point become one of the state's premier programs again. He has rushed for 1,079 yards and 13 touchdowns during a 5-1 start.

Pilot Point, No. 3 in SportsDay's Class 3A-others area rankings, will probably need a big game from Johnson to beat Gainesville tonight in a game that could decide the District 6-3A champion. Gainesville shut out Pilot Point the last two seasons.

Pilot Point couldn't rely on Johnson a year ago. He had quit football as a freshman and finally gave into constant requests from friends and teammates to rejoin the program. But his heart wasn't in it.

Moore, however, was persistent in pushing Johnson to reach his potential. Moore knew Johnson had the ability to be a great player. He's kin to a couple of the best backs Moore has coached: cousin Jerome Johnson and uncle Keith Johnson.

Moore, the state's all-time wins leader, was encouraged when he heard Johnson speak up in a meeting of coaches and seniors-to-be last spring. He was ecstatic when Johnson showed up to every voluntary workout and team function during the summer, eager to improve.

"I get on him now," Moore said, "and he just grins and does it."

Moore asks a lot of Johnson, who plays running back, quarterback, receiver, punt returner, kick returner and defensive back.

"Whatever I have to do to help my team win, I'm down for it," said Johnson, who has a personal goal of breaking his uncle's school season record of 2,058 yards set in 1985.

Teachers have stopped Moore in the hallways on many occasions this fall to comment on Johnson's new attitude. Teammates have noticed, too.

"He's congratulating us for the blocks we're throwing for him," guard Adam Keith said. "All he did was complain last year."

Johnson has found a passion for football, spending his weekends watching games on television to try to learn about the game. He also happily stays after practice to run extra sprints, something his uncle did during his record-breaking senior season.

"He's having more fun than he's probably ever had in his life," Moore said. "He's worked hard, and he's proud of himself. He ought to be."

E-mail tmacmahon@dallasnews.com

DOUBLE-DIGIT DANDIES

The area players averaging at least 10 yards per carry (minimum of 500 rushing yards):

Player School Att. Yards TD Avg.
Izale Williams Hillcrest 39 669 8 17.2
Jerrod Craddock Farmersville 96 1,200 16 12.5
Christopher Douglas FW All Saints 92 1,149 14 12.5
Jarail Johnson Pilot Point 96 1,079 13 11.2
Steve Warren Burleson 54 598 7 11.1
Cshammah Reed Tyler Street Chr. 130 1,408 19 10.8
Ryan Polite Carr. Amer. Heritage 90 957 15 10.6
D'Marcus Lang Scurry-Rosser 72 766 6 10.6

AggieJohn
10-15-2004, 01:30 AM
g.a. moore could turn a rock into a running back