PDA

View Full Version : Team State Geographic Area Designations

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Anybody know if there are official or unoffical geographic lines that designate a team as a "East-West-South-North" Texas team? It seems we all like to "claim" a team that is winning in any given year clos to our area as one of our "own". I always thought this was loosely defined by the Interstate Highways. You also have the smaller area designations used also, such as, "Metroplex", "Golden Triangle", "Centex", "Valley", etc.

shankbear
10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Southeast Texas takes in the whole Golden Triangle. Bmt, Pt Arthur and Orange being the points. We encompass from Jasper to Sabine Pass, nort-south and from at least Colmesniel (sp) to Orange, west-east. Beaumont would be the hub. Barbers Hill is sort of the west most town, maybe Baytown as far as teams as you go down IH-10 toward Houston.

Like all of Texas we love our football in Southeast Texas.

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks Shankbear...that is a pretty clear geographic description for "Southeast".

IHStangFan
10-13-2004, 09:00 PM
The Coastal Bend as we discussed could probably be said to include everything from Brownsville to Orange, but we Corpus Christi area locals refer to "the coastal bend" as this immediate area around Corpus....as far as "The Valley" we around here tend to think of "The Valley" as anything around Alice and south of there.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:22 PM
We've (Cuero) always been talked about as a South Texas team... We're not far from SA (85 miles), not far from Austin (90) and not too far from Houston (around 120 depending on which way you go) and about 80 or so North of Corpus...

I guess we get stuck in there with the Coastal Bend Region, but I think they need to start calling it the..... Cuero Region :D

IHStangFan
10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
We've (Cuero) always been talked about as a South Texas team... We're not far from SA (85 miles), not far from Austin (90) and not too far from Houston (around 120 depending on which way you go) and about 80 or so North of Corpus...

I guess we get stuck in there with the Coastal Bend Region, but I think they need to start calling it the..... Cuero Region :D Cuero...i love that area...my aunt has a place about 8 miles south of town.....and i used to do my reserves in Yoakum..we'd get off in those little backwoods towns...Moravia, Moulton, etc......there are some neat little beer joints out that way and alot of those people still have thick accents!!

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Cuero...i love that area...my aunt has a place about 8 miles south of town.....and i used to do my reserves in Yoakum..we'd get off in those little backwoods towns...Moravia, Moulton, etc......there are some neat little beer joints out that way and alot of those people still have thick accents!!

Oh, and 30 minutes from Shiner and the best little brewery in the whole world...

Can't wait for Bocktoberfest :D

IHStangFan
10-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh, and 30 minutes from Shiner and the best little brewery in the whole world...

Can't wait for Bocktoberfest :D MAN!! i am not going this year :( goin to college station instead....$40 a ticket is just too much for me this year!! but Bocktoberfest ROCKS!! i have a few buddies from Shiner...love that town too.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Don't be mad, but I got mine for 26

IHStangFan
10-13-2004, 09:32 PM
AH MAN!! you bastage!! LOL. should be a good one this year.....Cory Morrow RULES!!

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
AH MAN!! you bastage!! LOL. should be a good one this year.....Cory Morrow RULES!!

Yah, the lead guitarist is my cuz :D

shankbear
10-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Gobb2001...what are the best golf courses around Cuero??

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Hmmm... Cuero's actually not too bad....

The Victoria ones are good...

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Bridgeport is always thought of as a "North Central" team on the fringe of the "Metroplex". We are 38mi. due West of Denton on Hwy 380. Our biggest industries are Oil&Gas and rock aggregates (5 of the biggest limestone rock quarries in the world are located within 5 mi. of Bridgeport.)

IHStangFan
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Yah, the lead guitarist is my cuz :D are you kidding me?!?!?! SWEET!!! this was up at Garner this past summer.....i took the first pic...and Cory saw the flash and turned around...

http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Other%20Stuff2/corymorrow2.jpg

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 09:51 PM
yah, I have this pic of him and my grandfather pickin' at a family reunion when I was like 4... I was in the middle playing a tennis racket... I now have both of those guitars...

Hadn't talked to him since then, or someone's funeral... but talked to him after one of the shows this year... real cool guy... was mytexasmusic.com's musician of the year last year...

funny thing is, the one who got it this year, is the lead guitarist for a guy that I work with

GreenMonster
10-14-2004, 12:39 AM
(grabbing Cowbell from IHStangFan and tossing it out the window) That dang bell's givin me a headache. Why don't you borrow Gobbla's tennis racket for a while and play some air guitar for us. As for the topic question that has everyone on the edge of their seats, Iowa Park is kinda north, kinda west. We're 130 miles north of FT.Worth on US287, 200 miles southeast of Amarillo, 100 miles west of IH-35. 15 miles south of oklahoma (gettin closer everyday too due to the fact that oklahoma sucks so much). Best way to describe us is "In Limbo, Texas".

P.S. Sorry IHStangFan, I'll go get your cowbell back for ya. I was having an Excedrin moment.:hairpunk: