PDA

View Full Version : Should he have been fined??

Keith7
10-13-2004, 03:11 PM
DENVER -- Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer wore a sticker on his helmet Sunday honoring former teammate Pat Tillman, even though he expects the NFL to fine him for it.

Tillman, the former Arizona Cardinals safety who walked away from the NFL to join the U.S. Army Rangers and fight in Afghanistan, was killed in action in April.

Plummer was warned of the fine before last week's game and chose to remove the decal.

"That was a decision I made and I was upset" about it, he said.

Asked recently about Plummer's sticker, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league's long-standing policy prohibits personal messages on uniforms or helmets. Violators could face fines of $5,000.

"I'll get fined," Plummer said. "I'll take my fine like a man."

He said he would ask the NFL to give the fine money to the Pat Tillman Foundation, which was set up to honor him after his death.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/nfl/2004/1010/photo/g_plummer_il.jpg

Hupernikomen
10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Unfortuanately the NFL has to restrict this kind of stuff are like everything else it will be blown way out of proportion...I thought everyone in the NFL had Tillman's #40 on their helmets earlier in the year? Perhaps the NFL needs to allow for a certain spot of the uniform to be reserved to show respect to fallen teammates if they don't already do this.

Keith7
10-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
.I thought everyone in the NFL had Tillman's #40 on their helmets earlier in the year?

they just did that for 1 week.. and for the rest of the season, the arizona cardinals are the only team that can have the number on their helmet

AggieJohn
10-13-2004, 03:20 PM
you have to follow rules even if they aren't necessarily liked

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm with you guys....if you don't have the rule for everybody, somebody like "T-O" is going to put a flashing neon "T-O is the Greatest" or a Ricky Williams will put a cannabis leaf on his uniform every week. If there is one sticker that should be allowed, it's Pat Tillman's.

creditcard
10-13-2004, 03:44 PM
getting fined for honoring a teammate....that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of.....if i was jake plummer i would wear it every week and just pay the fine each time.....the nfl is stupid for that

Keith7
10-13-2004, 03:46 PM
I heard today that Jake Plummer has since agreed to take it off because the NFL will have alternative ways to honor the fallen soldier...

Hupernikomen
10-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I heard today that Jake Plummer has since agreed to take it off because the NFL will have alternative ways to honor the fallen soldier...

Sounds like it worked as it should have...the NFL sticking up for its rules and making a change when showed that it didn't fit every situation. Kudos to Plummer for honoring Tillman and paying the price.

JasperDog94
10-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Ricky Williams will put a cannabis leaf on his uniform every week. lol:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
The law is the law, I guess...

But big claps and hell yah's for Plummer, a man honoring a true man...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

VWG
10-13-2004, 05:08 PM
There has to be regulation on this stuff. Yes, it's a shame that Plummer has to take Tillman's number off, but what if every guy in the NFL wore something on his helmet for every fallen friend or relative?

Keith7
10-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by VWG
There has to be regulation on this stuff. Yes, it's a shame that Plummer has to take Tillman's number off, but what if every guy in the NFL wore something on his helmet for every fallen friend or relative?

We were alloud to put things on our helmets, we had a couple of players have small stickers like the one that plummer has, but it never got out of hand... but then again we werent egocentric profesionals

Chief Woodman
10-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes he should be fined. The point may be this- if you belong to a group that has rules you should expect to be punished in some way if you break the rules of the group.

You may belong to a group known as automobile drivers. You should not whine if you speed (breaking the rules) and thus get a ticket.

You belong to a group of people in the USA- you should expect to get punished if you commit murder.

You may belong to a group known as high school students- do not think you are being done wrong when you get into trouble for smoking in the bathroom.

No matter how small the rule or how large the punishment, if you break the rules you should expect to get punished.

Sinton94
10-13-2004, 05:39 PM
He should be fined but in this case it would be worth the fine and I would have done the same!:(

tmac
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
if they let him modify they have to let everyone rules are rules