PDA

View Full Version : Decatur

creditcard
10-13-2004, 12:02 PM
what makes decatur so good....i have never heard of the place before this year.....who are their players to watch..i heard they have a good qb that can do everything...

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Bad as I hate to evaluate our chief rival, here goes:

C.Dane- Extremely accurate, mature, smart passer with good elusiveness who makes the Offense run like a well-oiled machine. Can throw deep, screen, or drag patterns consistently.

B.Christian- WR/DB. All-State WR who runs great, disciplined routes with good speed. Excellent pass defender in secondary.

K.Godboldt-RB. Quick feet, great acceleration coupled with strength to make break tackles. Catches well--especially screens.

Big, physical, well-coached "O" line.

Rest of defense is adequate size, but all are quick to the ball and tackle well 1-on-1.

Decatur's spread offense has too many weapons for most teams to defense and they "hit you where you ain't", because they have such strength at the "skill" positions.

I just gotta "smack" a little to close.....Decatur is going to "limp" back home in 2 weeks after they play the Bulls.

Macarthur
10-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I watched Decatur scrimmage this year. I was not very impressed with their "team". They have 3 quality players. The QB is real good as is the WR. The RB is pretty quick. Beyond that, I felt like they just had "a bunch of other guys". No one else stood out. Granted, scrimmages are really hard to judge, but I have been surprised they have been as good as they have based on what I saw. I gathered they were good and would win a couple of playoff games, but they didn't jump out to me as a top 3 team in state.

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Macarthur......Decatur did not look that impressive in their scrimmages this year, but have really gotten it together in the season for the games. To look at them physically, you are not all that impressed, but a few minutes but after the game starts you look up and Decatur has hung 28 or so on you and their uniforms are not even dirty. To use possibly an analogy---the Washington Redskins have some of the best players money can buy, and look great but are not playing well with all that talent right now. New England has decent players and play as a team, especially on offense, like that well-oiled machine I mentioned.

Macarthur
10-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Macarthur......Decatur did not look that impressive in their scrimmages this year, but have really gotten it together in the season for the games. To look at them physically, you are not all that impressed, but a few minutes but after the game starts you look up and Decatur has hung 28 or so on you and their uniforms are not even dirty. To use possibly an analogy---the Washington Redskins have some of the best players money can buy, and look great but are not playing well with all that talent right now. New England has decent players and play as a team, especially on offense, like that well-oiled machine I mentioned.

As I said, I will grant you that I only saw them once at a scrimmage. I know scrimmages are not always a true picture. I certainly can't argue with their results. They have played a quality schedule.

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
In 2000, the Bulls had a very similar team to Decatur 04' and went to the semis and ran into Commerce. They had size, strength, and speed and were able to harass our QB as well as jam and run with our receivers. I think it will take somebody out there like that Commerce team to take Decatur out of their gameplan enough to beat them. If not, I think Decatur wins D1 this year. One of you Decatur guys take over---if I keep talking good about the Eagles I'm gonna get de-ported!

Chief Woodman
10-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh come on guys. The Eagles are an overated padded schedule team. A flash in the pan team with players who just get lucky. They get out coached all the time but somehow manage to win through the other teams giving them the game. Most of the stats come at the expense of teams that will have losing records. They have no winning tradition like other schools so the record must be a fluke. Slower than most teams they play they are just lucky teams look past them. If it wasn't for the mistakes made by their opponents they would not even win three games.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 05:14 PM
At last an Eagle that knows something about football....you got the Eagles down to a "T" Chief. All that other stuff I said about Decatur was to try to scare some of the really good teams down the schedule.

Chief Woodman
10-13-2004, 05:21 PM
At last an Eagle that knows something about football....you got the Eagles down to a "T" Chief. All that other stuff I said about Decatur was to try to scare some of the really good teams down the schedule.

Thanks for the effort. I knew deep down inside you were bluffing future opponents cause you actually are an Eagle fan trapped in Bull country. Regardless, the Eagles will take care of business on the field regardless of what we say or do not say. But thanks for the support!

3afan
10-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by creditcard
....i have never heard of the place before this year.....

geez, just where IS "ro tex" ?????

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
geez, just where IS "ro tex" ?????

Cuero

Bullaholic
10-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Well first you come to "Cue", turn right, go 5 miles and you run right in to "ro" ,Tx.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Well first you come to "Cue", turn right, go 5 miles and you run right in to "ro" ,Tx.

No... you take a left...

Wait, which way are you coming from? :D

Flourhead
10-13-2004, 05:59 PM
actually u just go to cuero... i've never heard of cue or ro...:thinking:

Underwater Basketweaver
10-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I would like to put my 2 cents in on this one. Everyone including me have been touting the Decatur offense a lot, and deservedly so. They have been quite remarkable to this point, but I think everyone who has seen us play would agree that our defense is quite remarkable as well. They have been playing lights out all year. I don't know the stats for defense like I do the offense, but nobody has been getting anywhere close to their normal output against our defense. They are very fast and extremely physical. One might say that size is a weakness for the defense, but if you see them play you will know that they play much bigger than they are. Our two outside linebackers are about 5'7" and 160 lbs each, but ask Graham and Wylie if they won't light you up if you come their way. Just thought I'd throw that in on top of all the offensive talk.

Chris Hart
10-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
I would like to put my 2 cents in on this one. Everyone including me have been touting the Decatur offense a lot, and deservedly so. They have been quite remarkable to this point, but I think everyone who has seen us play would agree that our defense is quite remarkable as well. They have been playing lights out all year. I don't know the stats for defense like I do the offense, but nobody has been getting anywhere close to their normal output against our defense. They are very fast and extremely physical. One might say that size is a weakness for the defense, but if you see them play you will know that they play much bigger than they are. Our two outside linebackers are about 5'7" and 160 lbs each, but ask Graham and Wylie if they won't light you up if you come their way. Just thought I'd throw that in on top of all the offensive talk. I agree, it seems as if Decatur now has the defense to go along with the already potent offense. It takes both and some luck to win it all. I think Decatur has a great chance of doing just that. At this point of the season, after the results of the top 5 teams and their schedules, I don't see how anyone can't have Decatur ranked at #1. They've already beat 3 top 10 teams and haven't struggled with any of them. No other team can say that at this point.

VWG
10-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Decatur is the real deal. Good team. Defensively they look good. They shut down Wylie, Gainesville, and Graham.
Don't look past them this year. They will make a long run come playoff time. I do agree though, the way to defend their offense is to jam the receivers at the line and you must have pressure on the QB.
Now that being said, Decatur has never really had a tradition of being a football hotbed. The kids they have playing for them now are very, very talented. Next year..... well, let's just say in my opinion if Story can make a long playoff run like he should do this year he's earned my respect. They have huge numbers for 3A and Decatur should start winning games every year consistently.
Take a look at their past records on texasfootballratings.com, the numbers don't lie. Step up and be consistent, or it could turn out like their neighbors in Wise County. Bridgeport hasn't been the same without Phil D. and company.

Decatur2004
10-13-2004, 09:48 PM
They were 10-0 district champs in 02' 9-1 district champs in 03' and are looking for a 3rd to add to the list.............but we are a small team with the starting o averaging about 199 lbs and the starting d averaging about 177lbs.......

Flourhead
10-13-2004, 09:52 PM
cuero won district last year... i bet we win it this year... play a team in the playoffs that runs the spread offense...and we go home crying

MASH4077
10-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Decatur does have some history........22 trips to the play-offs and 2 semi-final appearances(1975 and 1988)

Decatur2004
10-13-2004, 10:33 PM
We may not be known as a powerhouse by past accomplishments or by recent accomplishments for that matter, but if you doubt our abilities or over look us.....you may be in for a suprise!

VWG
10-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Decatur2004
They were 10-0 district champs in 02' 9-1 district champs in 03' and are looking for a 3rd to add to the list.............but we are a small team with the starting o averaging about 199 lbs and the starting d averaging about 177lbs.......

Decatur since 1990

1990 6-4
1991 5-5
1992 7-3-1
1993 1-9
1994 3-7-1
1995 4-6
1996 2-8
1997 4-6
1998 3-6
1999 3-7
2000 7-3
2001 5-5
2002 12-1
2003 10-2

Now... if Decatur can continue to acheive the success rate they've had since 2002 then hats off to Story and his staff. When Dane and company graduate and if the winning comes to a halt, or it falls off to mediocrity, then it's questionable whether or not it was "the system" that pushed them over the hump from 2001.
Again... and that's why I look at Sandifer at Abilene Wylie or Jackson at Sweetwater, etc... Decatur has the enrollment numbers that rivals Abilene Wylie, but if you look at the records of both schools in football Wylie dominates.
Again, taking nothing away from this year's Decatur group. Very, very talented group of kids. They should make a deep run in the playoffs and I wish them the best. Their defense is good enough to accomodate that expolisve offense.
Only time will tell if Decatur can maintain it's on field success after Dane and Christian graduate.

BullFrog Dad
10-14-2004, 07:33 AM
VWG, I'll be the first to admit that Decatur's recent success(2002-'04) is much more a product of the gene pool gods' blessing as opposed to a football program that is "steep in tradition". This could be a jump-start though for many years of success on the field. Back in the late 60's/early 70's Aledo used to hammer SL Carroll. They always seem to finish around .500 and now look at them.

3afan
10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Cuero

great - another cuero middle schooler ...

:D

BullFrog Dad
10-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
geez, just where IS "ro tex" ????? Hmmm, Perhaps River Oaks? Home of the Castleberry Lions.

tmac
10-14-2004, 10:16 AM
i wouldnt worry about decatur next year the juniors and sophmores were both undefeated as freshmen and the juniors were undefeated as jv i believe they have a clear shot to be in this same position next year,believe it or not were not all because of 1 qb and a wr,our jr runnin back should be spectacular next year and the center piece of the offense

Chief Woodman
10-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Decatur since 1990

1990 6-4
1991 5-5
1992 7-3-1
1993 1-9
1994 3-7-1
1995 4-6
1996 2-8
1997 4-6
1998 3-6
1999 3-7
2000 7-3
2001 5-5
2002 12-1
2003 10-2

Now... if Decatur can continue to acheive the success rate they've had since 2002 then hats off to Story and his staff. When Dane and company graduate and if the winning comes to a halt, or it falls off to mediocrity, then it's questionable whether or not it was "the system" that pushed them over the hump from 2001.
Again... and that's why I look at Sandifer at Abilene Wylie or Jackson at Sweetwater, etc... Decatur has the enrollment numbers that rivals Abilene Wylie, but if you look at the records of both schools in football Wylie dominates.
Again, taking nothing away from this year's Decatur group. Very, very talented group of kids. They should make a deep run in the playoffs and I wish them the best. Their defense is good enough to accomodate that expolisve offense.
Only time will tell if Decatur can maintain it's on field success after Dane and Christian graduate.

Thanks for the stats. I think this goes a long way in making the point I tried to tell everyone last year and most west Texas fans and celina/PP fans and other "Traditional" teams disputed.

Tradition does NOT win ball games. It does not matter if you were last years State champs. Decatur spanked Gainesville this year. It does not matter if you have five straight years as district champs and 25 straight home victories like Graham did when Decatur beat them this year. It does not matter if you have won more games in the past decade. Can you say Decatur 44 Wylie 7? The only thing Wylies record over the past decade dominated was the long bus ride home.

Tradition does not win games any more than a ranking in the polls does. What does matter is CURRENT coaching, CURRENT talent, and CURRENT hustle.

DOGFAN
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
I would like to put my 2 cents in on this one. Everyone including me have been touting the Decatur offense a lot, and deservedly so. They have been quite remarkable to this point, but I think everyone who has seen us play would agree that our defense is quite remarkable as well. They have been playing lights out all year. I don't know the stats for defense like I do the offense, but nobody has been getting anywhere close to their normal output against our defense. They are very fast and extremely physical. One might say that size is a weakness for the defense, but if you see them play you will know that they play much bigger than they are. Our two outside linebackers are about 5'7" and 160 lbs each, but ask Graham and Wylie if they won't light you up if you come their way. Just thought I'd throw that in on top of all the offensive talk.

You're right, Wylie tried to run off-tackle way to much against Decatur and the outside linebackers killed us. The pass defense was also very exceptional.

DOGFAN
10-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Thanks for the stats. I think this goes a long way in making the point I tried to tell everyone last year and most west Texas fans and celina/PP fans and other "Traditional" teams disputed.

Tradition does NOT win ball games. It does not matter if you were last years State champs. Decatur spanked Gainesville this year. It does not matter if you have five straight years as district champs and 25 straight home victories like Graham did when Decatur beat them this year. It does not matter if you have won more games in the past decade. Can you say Decatur 44 Wylie 7? The only thing Wylies record over the past decade dominated was the long bus ride home.

Tradition does not win games any more than a ranking in the polls does. What does matter is CURRENT coaching, CURRENT talent, and CURRENT hustle.

Tradition can't win games but it does help. In the post season Wylie kids know what is expected and they can play over their heads. Decatur has a better team than Wylie this year, but if they get to meet again in the playoffs you won't see Wylie expecting another whipping. They know how much a team can improve from pre-season to post-season. That is their tradition. Wylie knocked off a couple of Everman teams in the last few years in the playoffs that would have beaten Wylie worse than Decatur did in the pre-season.

CRHSeagle
10-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Hmmm, Perhaps River Oaks? Home of the Castleberry Lions.

I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt their from River Oaks, anyone who reads the Star Telegram could tell you who Decatur is.

VWG
10-15-2004, 02:15 PM

You are right. Current also could mean "flash in the pan" or "one year wonder". Decatur's team this CURRENT year is awesome. They are one of the best teams in 3A CURRENTLY right now.
Do you not agree though, that with the enrollment numbers Decatur has had, and the recent success that it SHOULD fall on the athletic department to keep it going for the FUTURE?

VWG
10-15-2004, 02:16 PM
and one other note... How long has Story been at Decatur?

BullFrog Dad
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by VWG
You are right. Current also could mean "flash in the pan" or "one year wonder". Decatur's team this CURRENT year is awesome. They are one of the best teams in 3A CURRENTLY right now.
Do you not agree though, that with the enrollment numbers Decatur has had, and the recent success that it SHOULD fall on the athletic department to keep it going for the FUTURE? Those enrollment numbers will be a benefit one more year as Decatur, Ranchview, and Little Elm will most likely go 4A next realignment. It's not often that half a district moves up at the same time.

Chief Woodman
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by VWG
and one other note... How long has Story been at Decatur?

Storys record is 37 -18 including the 3-7 first year record here as best I can tell. This team has been good enough to win the State title for the last 3 years. Between injuries and 1 bad game last year they did not come close. My point is not what team has the most wining record. The wins come as result of current talent and current coaching and current hustle and a little luck. Here is my viewpoint on "Tradition"

I belong to an Fire Department that relies on teamwork more than any football team. If someoone here misses an assignment it might mean someones life not just a score in a ballgame. It has been in existance since 1873 and is rich in traditions and history. Moreso than any tradition any football team in this state has. One of my co workers has always had a relative on the job since about 1909. When his son got on the department a few years ago I just had the luck to be with him at his first fire. Despite all the tradtion of the the department and his own family tradition he was taken by surprise at how difficult his job actually was. He told me that he had been hearing for as long as he could remember from his relatives about how hard the job was. He had been told by many others what to expect and what was expected of him. But none of it fully prepared him for what he had to do. Traditons longer and more intense than any football team traditions in Texas did not put the fire out for him.

I say all this to make this point: No player on any team can possibly have more than 3 years previous playoff experience. That is only possible if he was on varsity as a freshman and made the playoffs every year. What players who graduated last year tells to your current players does really help them as much as you like to think. They must experiense it to really understand it. What your team did 5 years ago means NOTHING. (none of those players are even still on the taem) You can have won 5 straight state titles in the 90's and it does nothing if you do not currently have talent, coaching, hustle and a little luck. Not only will it not put any points on the board, it is not near as valuable as you like to think when it comes to getting the job done. If it did Gainesville, Wylie and Graham would have stomped Decatur this year. If last year ment ANYTHING Gainesville would not be experiencing the downward turn they are.

Chief Woodman
10-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Do you not agree though, that with the enrollment numbers Decatur has had, and the recent success that it SHOULD fall on the athletic department to keep it going for the FUTURE?

If they have no talent the coaches can do nothing. Field a team of cheerleaders and see how far tradition gets you. Talent is part of the equation.

VWG
10-15-2004, 07:51 PM
If they have no talent the coaches can do nothing. Field a team of cheerleaders and see how far tradition gets you. Talent is part of the equation.

I agree, but how do programs keep winning and making the playoffs year after year? I think it comes down to coaching and yes, the talent the school puts out. Look at Aledo. Great team in 3A, and have done well in 4A. What is it about Aledo that sets them apart from Springtown or Azle? Year in and year out Aledo puts a better team on the field than both of those schools.
Enrollments are about the same, although Azle has a bunch more kids than both Springtown or Aledo.
In my opinion I believe tradition does play a factor. Winning breeds winners. Gainesville should make the playoffs.... again, and Pilot Point should make the playoffs again, but why not Bowie or Pottsboro? What makes them so bad year after year?
It's a coaches job to win and make his program rock solid.
Coaches can turn things around quickly if they get some blue chip athletes coming down the pipe at the right time... but it's up to them to keep the program in the right direction.
You're right on the money about kids going in and out every two to three years, but I disagree on tradition not playing a factor in helping a program win ballgames. If Decatur... or any school keeps a winning "tradition" then don't think that some kid on Friday night at the opposite end of the field is thinking to himself "man, it's Decatur... these guys are always tough to beat".